bc new improvements

snowboarddude

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an FYI...we offered a 40 foot transit bus to BC so they could build a one of a kind rail, but they did not want it....and we are giving it away...I still have not figured out why they did not take it....they could park it in the parking lot until they figured out what to do....they could even cut it in half....oh well

Bear Creek is not trying to turn into a junkyard like blue mountiain is trying to do

Personally I think arranging the park correctly and setting things up properly is more important than what crazy new rails you can make. Last year Bear had a ton of great stuff that wound up being sub-par a lot of the time due to poor placement. They set up lines where you bottlenecked into one hit that would become rutted after heavy riding. Place hits of equal difficulty next to each other in sets of two or three. If you can't handle either hit then just ride by or go to a different park. Putting "self-esteem booster" rails in the "expert" park all by itself is a bad idea since it'll get tracked real quick since absolutely everyone who rides through the park will hit that specific rail.

Besides where would they put a freakin bus?

btw: I am not ragging on Bear's park and I dont want it to seem like I have beef with those involved in the park.

Edited by Rowsdower

I feel like bringing in a bus or something like that is just like someone said farther up the page a publicity stunt bear has their mtn. lab staircase which I would say is a bigger,better and more notable feature in a park then a bus or a car although bear already has that subaru rail (which I don't really think is all that good). I totally agree with diamond lighting is something they should be working on for improving the parks for season.

Maybe to get enough terrain covered for an opening but it takes a good week of blowing straight through to open the whole mountain with decent conditions.

Looking at weather conditions don't look to terrible, the warming trend that was supposed to jack temperatures into the 60s is down about 10 degrees which is very nice despite teh rain.

However the latest gfs models are showing the same western pacific flow dominating just like last year. Which we all know is a bad thing. However said pacific flow is weaker and allowing more cold air to leak in. We can only hope that the weaker la nina pattern will deteriorate faster rather than persist into december.

There needs to be a new thread for this too.

Edited by Rowsdower

Well here's the thing about boulder and bears snow systems, boulder operates with a compressed air and water system (look at their guns you'll see 2 hoses going into them, one for air and one for water) now that means their air temp is a moot point I believe they can with their compressed air system make snow in up to 45 degree weather because they don't have to worry about a wet bulb temperature; at least that's what I understood from talking to some people about it and trying to do some research on home made systems as well. Now bear creek has a different snow system that pumps the water to the guns and then uses a pump on the gun to pull in the air needed for propelling the water (which from what I can understand would make them rely more on a colder temperature to blow, so it's not that they have a better system just different.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about anything I said about BB' and BC' snow systems because I'd love to understand anything I'm wrong about on this.

As for not blowing snow when they can, it's not worth it to try and make snow in a two day window when you've got 3 or 4 days following where you can't blow and it would just melt while you're hoping you'll get another window; because it all comes down to wasting that water that you've been collecting to blow to really open and that power you've been allotted to use to blow, they make a calculated decision about when to blow they just don't want to blow all their resources and be S.O.L. when they really need them all.