Bode update

Ski

This is from skipressworld.com...I thought the member reply at the bottom was pretty funny:

2007-05-30

Ski Team Free, Bode is Ready to Roll

Kennelbach, Austria (Ski Press)-Bode Miller is ready to go it alone.

In joint announcements from his agent and Head Skis, Bode

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is from skipressworld.com...I thought the member reply at the bottom was pretty funny:

How long will it take a desperate company like Head to find out that they have a personnel problem on their hands. If Mr. Saltzgeber really thinks that the Miller debacle with the US Ski Team was due to sleeping arrangements, then Head truly deserves whatever happens. I, for one, will be sure my purchases are directed elsewhere.[/b][/i]

I'm not so sure thay are "a desperate company". Head holds both the Mens WC SG and DH titles. Those are huge bragging rights in Europe!

I guess they think "Mr. Saltzgeber" never dealt with a top level athlete. Hahahaha!

:ph34r:

I'm not so sure thay are "a desperate company". Head holds both the Mens WC SG and DH titles. Those are huge bragging rights in Europe!

I guess they think "Mr. Saltzgeber" never dealt with a top level athlete. Hahahaha!

Maybe Mr. Saltzgeber was looking at the fact that Head finished third overall at over 9000 points behind Atomic (not 900, but 9000!). Also, Mr. Saltzbeger might be looking at GS performance, which a lot of people believe is more of a reflection of a company's committment toward recreational skiing, since winning SG/DH events is far more about the quality of base material and little to do with the ski.

It's cool, though, 1st Grade, that your depth of knowledge on the subject far exceeds that of longtime reps and other industry professionals. No wonder Salomon trusts you with their latest line!

Oh, and I meant to ask, did Head score a single slalom point during last year's WC season?

Head finished behind Atomic in Men's DH and SG last season and was off the radar in tech events...now they've put Bod Miller on all their posters and are relying on him to bring the world to Head. That's going to be f*cking hilarious.

Maybe Mr. Saltzgeber was looking at the fact that Head finished third overall at over 9000 points behind Atomic (not 900, but 9000!). Also, Mr. Saltzbeger might be looking at GS performance, which a lot of people believe is more of a reflection of a company's committment toward recreational skiing, since winning SG/DH events is far more about the quality of base material and little to do with the ski.

It's cool, though, 1st Grade, that your depth of knowledge on the subject far exceeds that of longtime reps and other industry professionals. No wonder Salomon trusts you with their latest line!

Oh, and I meant to ask, did Head score a single slalom point during last year's WC season?

Head finished behind Atomic in Men's DH and SG last season and was off the radar in tech events...now they've put Bod Miller on all their posters and are relying on him to bring the world to Head. That's going to be f*cking hilarious.

You insist on being a dick head! Don't you?

Where do you come up with this bullshit? Speed events rule in Europe. Nobody remembers if you win in GS or SL. The fact of the matter is that Head won the SG(Miller) and DH(Cuche) title last year and that is with a very small fraction of the athletes that Atomic has. Head won those titles. Atomic finished behind them! Your argument is like saying Chevy is kicking Toyota's ass in NASCAR. No kidding, everyone drives a Chevy. Nobody cares about the manufacturer points.

Where did I say anything close to this:

"It's cool, though, 1st Grade, that your depth of knowledge on the subject far exceeds that of longtime reps and other industry professionals."

Where do you come up with this bullshit?

Uh, the official FIS website. You know, where all the official record keeping is kept. You better write and tell them the Pocono Salomon Race Tester says their info is wrong...get that straightened out for them.

And just to straighten something out for you: winning at places like Kitzbuhel and Wengen is instant fame for a racer. But a ski? Does the winning ski at either of those races have anything to do with even a Europea Cup-level ski, let alone a recreational, off-the-rack ski? Are you suggesting Europeans have suddenly become collectively stupid? Winning speed events isn't about the ski...jeez, listen to your own hero, Bode, who will tell you that it's 5% skier in a speed event, then the other 95% are base material quality with the right wax.

I can't believe you didn't know this. Wow. You continue to surprise me. Oh, and what's up with calling me a dick head? That's a personal attack.

Uh, the official FIS website. You know, where all the official record keeping is kept. You better write and tell them the Pocono Salomon Race Tester says their info is wrong...get that straightened out for them.

And just to straighten something out for you: winning at places like Kitzbuhel and Wengen is instant fame for a racer. But a ski? Does the winning ski at either of those races have anything to do with even a Europea Cup-level ski, let alone a recreational, off-the-rack ski? Are you suggesting Europeans have suddenly become collectively stupid? Winning speed events isn't about the ski...jeez, listen to your own hero, Bode, who will tell you that it's 5% skier in a speed event, then the other 95% are base material quality with the right wax.

I can't believe you didn't know this. Wow. You continue to surprise me. Oh, and what's up with calling me a dick head? That's a personal attack.

You are expanding this into a whole bunch of stuff I never said. All I said is that Head isn't exactly desperate do to the fact that they hold 2 WC titles from last year. The discussion was about racing, not recreational skis. Your babbling about the recreational skis is just ridiculous.

You are correct about Atomic having many more points than Head or any other company but the SG and DH titles went to skiers on Head. I don't understand why you are arguing that.

Sounds like your jealous that I got a few pairs of skis for free. They came from a friend at Salomon in Canada. Salomon isn't selling race stuff in the US this year.

I called you a dick head because your being a dick head!

Jealous of you? You know, maybe you're right. There is a darker side of me that wants to be meaner and have more people dislike me. Yeah, I certainly envy the freedom from having to worry about rational thought---being able to make idiotic statements, then lashing out at others, accusing them of being babbling idiotic dick heads.

Not jealus, 1st Grade, just poking fun at you.

Jealous of you? You know, maybe you're right. There is a darker side of me that wants to be meaner and have more people dislike me. Yeah, I certainly envy the freedom from having to worry about rational thought---being able to make idiotic statements, then lashing out at others, accusing them of being babbling idiotic dick heads.

Not jealus, 1st Grade, just poking fun at you.

:sniffcrack:

I called you a dick head because your being a dick head! :ph34r:

You know... you are a dick head Ski but I wouldn't have said it like that. Haha!

Yeah, I certainly envy the freedom from having to worry about rational thought---being able to make idiotic statements, then lashing out at others, accusing them of being babbling idiotic dick heads.

X2.

:sniffcrack:

I may have to start using these stupid things after all.

Interesting that Atomic doesn't dominate quite as much for the women.

I'd like them to divide the total points by the number of athletes it took to get those points to find out whether it's just a number-of-competitors-using-the- product thing. After all, if (and I don't claim to know here) Atomic spreads the wealth around a lot or gives better sponsorships, thereby getting more athletes on its stuff, it could accumulate points just due to sheer numbers.

I'd like them to divide the total points by the number of athletes it took to get those points to find out whether it's just a number-of-competitors-using-the- product thing. After all, if (and I don't claim to know here) Atomic spreads the wealth around a lot or gives better sponsorships, thereby getting more athletes on its stuff, it could accumulate points just due to sheer numbers.

EXACTLY!

Edited by First Grade Teacher

Interesting that Atomic doesn't dominate quite as much for the women.

Athletes are no longer slaves to the ski companies. There was a time, especially prior to the WC becoming an openly professional sport, that racers had to rely on manufacturers for the bulk of their income. Not the case anymore. Only racers at the very beginning and very end of their careers would sacrifice using what they consider the best gear for a slightly better contract because they'd lose money in the end by dropping places. Not to suggest that Atomic doesn't throw the most money and comp gear at skiers on all levels, but done properly, it's a way of guaranteeing a superior product. The more feedback from the top racers down to the juniors, the better the ski ultimately is. No single ski will ever be the best for everyone, but your chances of finding a great Atomic ski is a product of how they spread the wealth.

How will Head fare with Bode as the #1 tester? Well, Bode is credited with being the best ski tester of all time because of his incredible, almost photographic-like memory of each turn and what the ski did. The downside of Bode as your #1 guy is that who else on the planet skis a rut on his ass to win? What good is the feedback of how a tail reacts when sat up in a rutted GS turn?

Oh, and 1st Grade: a report of what brand ski/boot/binding the winning racers used is made for each race and available via FIS and many other sites. It's not a mystery. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Oh, and 1st Grade: a report of what brand ski/boot/binding the winning racers used is made for each race and available via FIS and many other sites. It's not a mystery. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Thanks Ski. That's the 5000th thing you knew that I didn't. What would I do without you? Your the best.

Athletes are no longer slaves to the ski companies. There was a time, especially prior to the WC becoming an openly professional sport, that racers had to rely on manufacturers for the bulk of their income. Not the case anymore. Only racers at the very beginning and very end of their careers would sacrifice using what they consider the best gear for a slightly better contract because they'd lose money in the end by dropping places.

But, for whatever reason, Bode changes ski manufacturers with each new contract. Based on your comments above, does that mean he is at the end of his career because he is chasing the best deal? He certainly hasn't fallen in love with any particular ski, that's for sure. I think he goes with the money and with whomever seems to be most eager to build to his specs this time.

I'm sure you have (or will dig out) the info on the points he's made with each sponsor and I'd be interested to see that kind of statistic. Of course, he was a different age with each sponsor so that's part of the equation as well. I think that exercise would be very interesting for any top skier who has jumped around a lot. I don't think being faithful is necessarily a sign of someone finding the "right" ski, I think there's a degree of superstitution and just loyalty as well.

And I go back to my observation that Atomic is not quite the hands down winner for the women. Look at the top skis in your link when it comes to the women: Salomon/Rossignol, Atomic, V