Killington Update for this upcoming season.

Papasteeze

Since I've only been there once a lot of the article didn't mean much to me but I was bummed to see that the lower Skyeship gondola won't be open all week long. The "funnest" run of our trip last year was Great Eastern from Killington Peak all the way down to lower Skyeship. Oh well. I do like that they plan to make/ have made the facilities nicer. I also love the idea of a "vacation" village. Of course I'm also not the typical skier. Yes, I am a spoiled brat when it comes to vacationing.

But that early in the season is always real iffy for VT...it's all weather dependent..it could dump 2 feet...or be a washout like last season the first weekend in December..

weather is always iffy, but if thats totally different than having snowmaking temps and not using them to save some money or only opening the top of the mountain so they don't lose much to a thaw. The vibe I got from that article was that killy is going to half ass it at the beginning of the year to save some cash so they can make all the Christmas weekers and people who go for president's day happy.

I understand that everything comes down to money in the end, but there are a lot of things in this would that people absolutely live for like skiing. I know everyone on this board would feel very empty without skiing/snowboarding. For a lot of people, this isn't a fun getaway, its a way of life. To tell absolute die hards who keep this sport progressing and moving forward that they can't have the snow that they need because there aren't enough bunny slope families coming up from NYC seems very unfair and hurtful.

Edited by Schifdawg

To tell absolute die hards who keep this sport progressing and moving forward that they can't have the snow that they need because there aren't enough bunny slope families coming up from NYC seems very unfair and hurtful.

It's a business. The die-hards don't pay for day tickets, rent equipment or eat the resorts food. There is no money to be made on diehards.

My question is the marketing, going from first open last to close to just another vermont mountain is a big slip. I don't know if it will pay off for them (with the way energy costs are going, it probably will) but like Peak says at Mount Snow, opening first gets your name out there and excites a lot of people. That is really valuable marketing, and puts out the perception that your mountain is a leader in the area.

Does this mean they will try to open more terrain laterally rather that vertical, or will they only open half the terrain they would otherwise. I'd be fine with more overall terrain versus one or two runs top to bottom, but not if they plan on reducing the amount of terrain open. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. This will be a critical year for them. I know that the Penn State Snowboard Club wouldn't have second thoughts about switching their early season trip to another mountain that makes an effort to open early season. A bad early season this year will cost them a lot of business in early season ski club trips.

I convinced the U Delaware ski club to bail on them, we don't know where we are going yet.

I havent been there in probably 3 years since I would rather goto Stowe anyway, but havent they always done the early season get in the back of a pick-up truck and ski the upper portions of the mt. I like it that way. Keeps the tourist off the mt. and keeps it almost exclusive to those more experienced riders. Plus its not an hours wait for the gondola.

Skiing is more than just a business, it is a service industry, it is not a product you jsut pull off of a shelf. You are dealing with people who WANT to spend money on the sport. Pushing your customer base away is not the way too be successful, simple, "Don't shit where you eat".

It's a business. The die-hards don't pay for day tickets, rent equipment or eat the resorts food. There is no money to be made on diehards.

We may not pay for day tickets, but we did eat there and they got $2,000/yr from my family in passes the past two seasons. Diehards also bring other people along with them that spend money. I guess Blue should completely dismiss your opinion too?

you guys crack me up. :rocks
Based on what?

HaHa...

Killiington's been through three stages...

1. First to open Last to close

2. Opening with top to bottom coverage

3. Focus on the experience and overall quality

If you think about it...

The key to the hospitality/resort industry is to exceed guests expectations/satisfaction. The majority of your early season skiers & rides are Intermediate - Advanced Expert. Beginners, new skiers/riders, and bus trips typically don't go to the resorts until the holidays and while winter is in its prime. So what is the point of opening beginner terrian first, which most resorts do? Killington's idea is to focus on the peak and work their way down... Get more advanced terrian open in the beginning to make the Intermediate-Advanced Expert skiers/riders happy. And weather permitting start blowing more snow to get the beginner and more intermediate trails open just in time for the holiday rush.

btw... Dude is sooo not a beer fan

Already after being in school my second year at GMC, Powdr means business. Pure and simple. A resort the size of Killington will make money no matter if they open first, second, third, or fourth. Because of environmental impacts and the decreased skier visits in recent years, Killington wants to focus more on the customer

Edited by parkbuilder

A guest spending up to at least $70 on lift ticket should expect excellent service and snow quality.

Well then how about you don't charge $70 on a lift ticket in the beginning? Or ever for that matter. $70 is a lot of money to pay to go skiing for one day. You can go to 7 days worth of boulder's college day for that :blink

I'm giving Killy a year off. I'm not saying they won't turn it around, I'm just saying I don't think they will turn it around enough for me to go there this year when I'd rather hit other mountains. I hope they do make it a lot better because like you said ASC ran that place into the ground, but it sure looks like Peak at Mount Snow has a better attitude about turning around ASC's disasters than Powdr. Thats why people are complaining. Peak put in 100 new fan guns and is trying to open early, Powdr painted and carpeted (which while necessary, doesn't really excite me) and said they would open later and close earlier, and cut off lifetime season pass holders. And didn't do anything appreciable about snowmaking or grooming as far as I can see. (From my computer a hell of a lot further away than your eyes on the ground, I'm just saying if they did - put up some damn pictures or something).

That stair case is nice as hell by the way.