new trails

ski14

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baby Moose? Isn't that a calf?

Yeah that is a calf ski!!! LOL

Anyway where are these new trails I saw the one off of upper Fast Track and that will be a blue; but where are the others? are they actually trails?? Anyone know.? I have to be at the mtn tomorrow and I will do the thing that is frowned upon (I will ask)

Edited by skibum2007

If the Sno people are reading this, I think they might be interested to know that Park City brings in someone to do the final cuts on thier monster pipe. There are very few qualified people to use that machine.

Rob, your being sarcastic, right? Go ask any of the 10 guys that run your bulldozers and front-end loaders how long it would take them to be fully trained to cut a monster pipe. Heck, there's probably more to know running a side-arm mower...

Rob, your being sarcastic, right? Go ask any of the 10 guys that run your bulldozers and front-end loaders how long it would take them to be fully trained to cut a monster pipe. Heck, there's probably more to know running a side-arm mower...

Decent halfpipes are works of art. So much different that just pushing dirt around or mowing grass. If you mess up dirt you can just push it back and start again. If you mess up a pipe to a certain point you basically have to fill it in and start over, and snow is waaaayyyyy harder to work with.

Decent halfpipes are works of art. So much different that just pushing dirt around or mowing grass. If you mess up dirt you can just push it back and start again. If you mess up a pipe to a certain point you basically have to fill it in and start over, and snow is waaaayyyyy harder to work with.

Working with snow is tougher and more artistic than grading for a terraced, three-story, 9000 sq. ft. building when the surface is mud, granite, and a shelf of limestone?

Working with snow is tougher and more artistic than grading for a terraced, three-story, 9000 sq. ft. building when the surface is mud, granite, and a shelf of limestone?

It's not the same. They mess up the grading on the first pass, they make a second pass. You get one shot to get the pipe right.

That being said, I have no clue how hard it is to drive a groomer with a pipe cutter in a straight line. It seems like it would be straight forward, but if you are banking the rest of your season on a good first cut, why not bring in someone if it's not outrageously expensive.

Sno has Neptune setup their entire park at the beginning of the season, how is that any different?

Well, Glenn, I think it's an interesting topic we've never tossed around here. The only good grooming threads we have are when someone gets backed over. I just look at it a little like people saying a person capable of building a skyscraper can't build a house. The answer: one is more artistic? Or, just that it's not the same? Just makes no sense to me that current staff couldn't easily be trained. Jeez, if you can run a winch-cat, it seems like you should be capable of learning how to cut a 22' pipe with such a simple machine. Eh, that's all I'm sayin'.

Just makes no sense to me that current staff couldn't easily be trained. Jeez, if you can run a winch-cat, it seems like you should be capable of learning how to cut a 22' pipe with such a simple machine. Eh, that's all I'm sayin'.

They taught one of the guys last year...every time he cut the pipe there was a trench at the bottom of the walls.

http://planetsnowdesign.com/movie.html

And some reading material if you are interested...

http://planetsnowdesign.com/media.html?target=36

For the trails...one of them is on the far side of fast track, and Rattler is at the bottom of the iron horse lift.

Hi Guys!

A friend sent me a link here and I was really surprised that more than 4 people actually knew that Sno existed. I work at the mtn in the winter running the timing for NASTAR and USSA races and fixing the ski school computers when they have problems.

I sent an email to my boss in september and he said

" I've been at the mountain, but haven't been up on the hill. They are cutting a trail to the skiers right of Runaway and fast track. Another betweeen the two, and one between cannonball and smoke I think?"

I was also at the ski school meeting a few weeks ago and talked to some people and saw one of the trails. Baby Moose (from what I understand) is to the left of Shuttle lift if you are going up it. It's more of a shortcut from the very top of spike to mainline and highball. I was also told that there was one (probably sidewinder) all the way to the skiers right of the mtn that started at the top of fast track (remember the top of it where you could either go over the hill thing or cut down around the right of it...yeah that...) on the right of that thing mentioned in the ()'s The trail between fast track and runaway is most likely snake. I don't really get how there can be a trail between cannonball and smoke...being that the snowmaking dept is there. If I hear anything else I'll let you guys know!

Can anyone update any information they have on their opening of the pipes this season?

Sent the planet guys an email about the 22 footer and got this response:

"We are planning on having a 22-foot pipe at Sno this year. The Zaugg is on its way!

Mike Langdon

Marketing Manager

Planet Snow Tools "

:wiggle

Hi Guys!

A friend sent me a link here and I was really surprised that more than 4 people actually knew that Sno existed. I work at the mtn in the winter running the timing for NASTAR and USSA races and fixing the ski school computers when they have problems.

I sent an email to my boss in september and he said

" I've been at the mountain, but haven't been up on the hill. They are cutting a trail to the skiers right of Runaway and fast track. Another betweeen the two, and one between cannonball and smoke I think?"

I was also at the ski school meeting a few weeks ago and talked to some people and saw one of the trails. Baby Moose (from what I understand) is to the left of Shuttle lift if you are going up it. It's more of a shortcut from the very top of spike to mainline and highball. I was also told that there was one (probably sidewinder) all the way to the skiers right of the mtn that started at the top of fast track (remember the top of it where you could either go over the hill thing or cut down around the right of it...yeah that...) on the right of that thing mentioned in the ()'s The trail between fast track and runaway is most likely snake. I don't really get how there can be a trail between cannonball and smoke...being that the snowmaking dept is there. If I hear anything else I'll let you guys know!

Ha, let me guess...DG, right? If so, PASR now has a new version of our beloved Skidude. :rock

Welcome here, little bro, and Doug has just met his match for #1 post whore potential.

it seems like you should be capable of learning how to cut a 22' pipe with such a simple machine. Eh, that's all I'm sayin'.

Capable yes, but where do you practice, and there in lies the problem. Its not just as simple as cutting it. Alot of problems with building a quality pipe start from day one when they start blowing it in. the temps change, so does the consistency of the blown snow. Then they don't "farm" it enough or hurriedly don't rough cut it perfect.

The key is a perfect subgrade, where they use cats to push up and out and down to form the sides like a stepped pyramid, then the "cutter" goes to work. The problem is the skill to be able to keep it perfectly straight. Then there is the eliptical shape to deal with, it is not a true radius. There are very few cutters in the world who have the experince to cut a perfect competition pipe, let alone a 22' pipe.

Can anyone get in there and run the machine? sure, the same way anyone can dig a basement, very few can do it well with out making a mess. To the best of my knowledge all pipes 18' and over are professionally cut. Most mountains bring in the expert cutter to because they simply can't afford to have professional pipe cutters on staff. I believe that all competition pipes are only cut by a couple of people.

BTW - I am sort of surprised that these machines aren't using GPS - our dozers control cutting depth from a digitized plan entered into the machines onboard computer. The transponder is attached to the blade which in turn tells the operator up/down - left/right. If you have ever watch a cutter you will see that they bounce a lot, I can imagine that a 22' cutter is just that much more unwieldy.

Sno might be able to pull off a pipe this year, but with out grading and the cutter on site, I would say that it is impossible at this point, besides they need to pay for the cutter don't they?

Sno might be able to pull off a pipe this year, but with out grading and the cutter on site, I would say that it is impossible at this point, besides they need to pay for the cutter don't they?

They will probably blow snow for a couple weeks straight to cut the pipes, same as they did last year and it worked out well. Plus once spring rolls around you can plow the pipe and cover all the bare spots on the park. It's not impossible. They had a pipe last year they will have one this year. Sno is in contract with Planet. Therefore they have a cutter. They have paid the cutter. The cutter will be there. Don't worry about the cutter.

It's my understanding that Sno bought a cutter last year. I don't think it's the 22ft one though. It was there last year all year.

That was for the 13' pipe..they purchased a new one for the 22' pipe, which is still yet to be delivered. But they won't have enough snow to use it for a couple weeks anyway, so no rush.