Full price on opening day

stever2003

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just called Blue, they said lift tickets would be regular price on Friday.

This is bullshit. They'll only have Easy Out, Vista, Midway, Main Street, and Come Around open on Friday. They had the same trails last year at half price. I don't think it's worth it to pay full price for this limited trail selection.

Sounds like I probably won't be skiing at Blue this Friday...damn.

There's not really too many places that discount tickets, when they open in Dec.

There's not really too many places that discount tickets, when they open in Dec.

I don't think I've ever paid full price to ride at blue when there wasn't a high speed lift turning. Why would I want to go to a crowded mountain like blue and pay full price when they don't have the biggest selling point (high-speed lift and 1082 vert) available. I don't think it's an exact science but I believe most mountains hold off on full prices until they get around 50% terrain open OR the Christmas crowds start coming.

I wonder if the poor start and weather, last year, has anything to do with the full price :confused .

Someone mentioned the children (maybe daughter???) of the old owner are taking over, and word is they are taking a more conservative approach. Which is why I stated earlier in the thread, that Blue will likely back off their early/late season openings, unless they are making serious money.

This is all conjecture, and there may be no truth to it, but I wonder why the full price then? With so many of those 1/2 price coupons on Jackets around the area, I don't know why they wouldn't make it 1/2 price for the first week or two. I can't imagine those retail stores (think nestors, the loft) are kicking back any kind of incentive to the mountain. Again I could be wrong.

A little hit in ticket sale prices, by having a promo, could actually bring in customers. BB took the chance, with the weather, and seems to have done pretty good. Word gets out, about things like this, and it helps to bring in business. Half price tickets would help bring people to the mountain. If people like what they see, they are more likely to come back. They might actually make more money off of discounted tickets, by selling a lot more discounted tickets, then full price tickets.

Edited by bigdaddyk

might actually make more

"Might" isn't a very conservative word you know.

This is the trial period, if they don't get the monies needed here I'm guess they won't hold out at the end of the season. Likewise they won't be very aggressive next season.

To be fair, this season it was obvious when the guns needed to be turned on, so it's hard to say. CB is opening 1 day after blue, and I think that has more to do with administrative issues than anything regarding snow. The marginal snow making starting times will be the test as will the stockpiling of snow to wade out the spring.

I have less issues with "True" than I do with "Mountain"

The only definitions of mountains rather than hills I could find are that a mountain must have a definable peak (not the case here it's just part of a ridge), or in England there is a convention that dictates a minimum elevation at the peak of >2k feet (also not the case).

In both cases that make CB much more of a mountain than Blue.

Poo also rhymes....

Heh. I don't consider anything in Pa. A "Mountain" Millions of years ago the Appalachians were mountains, now they are just whittled down to hills.

Do you really want double the amount of people on opening day anyway? Sure those people will show up but if it is super over crowded the negative experience is worse than having them show up at all. At this point they aren't showing off how early they are opening since everyone is open/is opening on the same day, so better to worry about the quality of everyone's experience.