JF TR 12-8-07

bigdaddyk

I started off the 07-08 season, at JF, with my first run down one park, at 7:59 am. I was pleasantly surprised at the deep, side to side coverage, including a few decent size jumps. I spent the morning laping the entire mountain. This was probably the best opening, for coverage, in my four years of skiing. All of the trails had edge to edge, deep coverage. The grooming was top notch, as always. I rode the lift with somebody who moved into the area and used to go to Whiteface. He seemed to like what he saw and asked if the grooming was always this good. You couldn't even tell that it was the first day, for the trails....there were no ice chunks or cookies. The trails that were closed also had a decent amount of snow blown and there was plenty of snow in the trees, to go off trail. BTW, thunderbolt was in excellent condition for wide carving :rock ...it got my stamp of approval.

Edited by bigdaddyk

I will fully back you up on this. We got to the mountain at around 9. Did a few runs down Jane's Lane to start the day off. Then headed over to the park and was impressed with they're setup. I wasn't too fond of the jumps though. But that was the only black mark for me. We spent most of the morning carving the quality snow and going in n out of the trees. The coverage was just unreal for day 1. Thunderbolt was in the best shape of the last 7 years I've been there!

I got there late in the afternoon. Snow was, needless to say, still great. Coverage was excellent. For the most part I did laps through the trees on the upper parts of T Bolt and Challange then to the lower portion of those trails for some carving. It was amazing how much snow is in the trees / glades. Challenge / T Bolt seemed steeper and longer than usual after skiing Boulder Park run for the past few weeks. Cant wait till East opens. All in all a great time. I may be back tomm and then again on Monday morning (hopfully the rain will hold off). So glad I got a pass there this year.

Edited by PA Ridge Racer

The park at JF was way under rated last year. It was always pretty empty even though boulder was packed with people, and it had great flow. I might go so far as to say I liked it better, only because there where no people hiking boxes and stuff, it was just one long line top to bottom. It fell in a nice range of size, about the size of the stuff on merry widow.

Any one know how the one park is looking at frost, any thing worth missing a day a boulder for tomorrow

if you are there for the parks, stay at boulder. If you like to actually ski, check out frost, it is a much better mountain. :)

Edited by jordan

if you are there for the parks, stay at boulder. If you like to actually ski, check out frost, it is a much better mountain. :)

I usually ride at frost when we get powder or during the week when boulder is not open. the park last year was good last year, but i did not know how the park was going to be this early in the season.

we ended up at boulder on Sat. We had the whole mountain to ourselves. It didn't even get crowded after lunch. NO lift lines whatsoever, great day. My son used his poles for the first time and did really well. He likes to go down Tananbaum over and over :banghead but I convinced him to try Upper Sizmarck since its only half a black then spits out into a green. He liked it but now will only do those 2 trails. Hopefully Christmas week I can convince him to try some others.

I usually ride at frost when we get powder or during the week when boulder is not open. the park last year was good last year, but i did not know how the park was going to be this early in the season.

The jumps looked bigger and the park itself looked better, at JF, than what I saw on Love park, IMO.

Edited by bigdaddyk

Was at JF early Sunday, conditions were great. Didn't have East Mountain or Exhibition open, but DeMattes, Thunderbolt and Challenge were covered edge to edge, no ice or bare spots, and the grooming was impeccable. Was worried after the spotty grooming last year, but if they keep this up, my knees will thank them. Did a great job cleaning out the glades between Thunderbolt and Challenge and also downhill right of Challenge - still thin cover there though. Glad I got the season ticket this year - almost didn't after last year. :wiggle

we ended up at boulder on Sat. We had the whole mountain to ourselves. It didn't even get crowded after lunch. NO lift lines whatsoever, great day. My son used his poles for the first time and did really well. He likes to go down Tananbaum over and over :banghead but I convinced him to try Upper Sizmarck since its only half a black then spits out into a green. He liked it but now will only do those 2 trails. Hopefully Christmas week I can convince him to try some others.

Awesome. I remember when I was a little kid at Craigmere in NJ (gone now, but about the size of little boulder and tannebaum and nothing else) it seemed so big and steep compared to me. Then when I was 6 or 7 and i hit Shawnee mountain, oh man it was the big time to take the quad up to the top. As a kid it is so fun to ski because you are actually in control of something for once. Sure your parents tell you what trail to do, but when you are on that trail you can do it however you want, its one of the first things I did as a kid that was like that.