Freestyle Coaching?

brittmills

Hey, I'm interested in maybe taking some freestyle coaching at Bear Creek, but I'm not really sure what to expect. I'm a 17 year old female, and I'm of intermediate skiing ability, although I've only gone to the terrain park a couple times (and when I do, I don't do any amazing tricks or jumps or anything haha). I really want to try to learn how to freestyle ski, though, but I'm afraid that if I sign up, I might be at a lower level than others there. From experience, does anyone know if a majority of people who go for freestyle coaching have gone many times and are able to do a lot of the stuff that I associate with freestyle? And will I get more personalized instruction through lessons, or will we generally be coached as a group despite differences in level? Also, would you recommend private coaching instead?

Thanks,

Britt

The only requirement(s) they have is that you are an intermediate skier and you must have a helmet. Most of the freestyle coaching is in very small groups and most times it is basically a private lesson. We have a great ski school staff that would be more than willing to help you out. If you need anymore info lemme know.

Bobert is a good guy, he should be able to hook you up at Bear. Other wise consider the Blue Boys and thier freestyle program for a lesson or two. I know they would be super stoked to have some one older eager to learn - plus you are of the opposite sex - plenty of after school lessons at no charge should be widely available to you.

A diamond in the rough you are! find someone, we need more women involved with FS!

I think the best coaching is to just roll deep with a bunch of skiers, most that are better than you. You'll naturally be pushed to learn new tricks.

Otherwise I'd check out Blue Mt. Freeriders. It's a real good group and Trev seems like a great instructor. The kids in it vary from just about every skill range you can be at.

Hey Britt,

I know you said Bear Creek so definitely check them out. There are a bunch of good people down there so you should be able to find someone. Just ask ski school. Also, if you're interested we do private lessons up at Blue by appointment, and have female and male coaches who have been coaching park and pipe for over three years now. Let me know if you'd be interested in any more info.

-Trevor

I think the best coaching is to just roll deep with a bunch of skiers, most that are better than you. You'll naturally be pushed to learn new tricks.

yeah exactly i started skiing with a bunch of guys that are better than me and i have learned so much new stuff the past couple of days. About the freestyle coaching i think it can only go so far as in they can teach you the fundimentals then you will just get better if you really really like it.

Edited by MISSDEMEANOR

Would it be too late for someone who is older to learn something at the freestyle lessons? I am 31 yr old/woman. I have ridden at places like Mammoth and jackson hole w/no problem, but I am not really familiar w/ the park and I would like to learn some new stuff. Do I have to be able to ride switch really well to take a lesson?

Would it be too late for someone who is older to learn something at the freestyle lessons? I am 31 yr old/woman. I have ridden at places like Mammoth and jackson hole w/no problem, but I am not really familiar w/ the park and I would like to learn some new stuff. Do I have to be able to ride switch really well to take a lesson?

a couple of years ago there was an older guy, i'd say in his late 30s that took a freeride lesson at Blue with the Freeriders and they had him sliding boxes by the end of the day from what i remember.

I'd say about 90% of it is all mental and is simply based off of approaching shit with speed outside of your previous comfort zone. Some advanced things do require a technique but the basics really don't. If you don't hit things with speed, you wont get any momentum, and park is all about momentum and flow. Hitting features at a slow speed will usually wind up being more consequential. If you hit a jump super fast, it'll shoot you right over the knuckle and onto the landing. Basically the worst that can happen is you land low or off-axis and you use the steep landing as a slide. Knuckling from not enough speed can seriously do much more damage. The same goes for rails. If you hit a rail with a good amount of speed, if you lose balance or shift to one side you can just hop off the side and land clean. If you're going too slow you can get stuck on a rail or simply fall somehow and wreck yourself.

Last year I ran a box sliding clinic with a bunch of the instructors up at Blue ranging from their mid-20s to some in their late 60s and early 70s. We had only two or three little falls, and every single one of them were comfortably sliding the box by the end of an hour. The ski school director stood there laughing and taking pictures, but we couldn't convince him to give it a go, too much pride... ;) All of the instructors that took part in the clinic still talk about it to this day, and are always eager to give it another go.

That being said, we do lessons for all ages, just make an appointment with Blue Mountain Snowsports school to make sure that someone will be there who is able to accommodate you.

yeah exactly i started skiing with a bunch of guys that are better than me and i have learned so much new stuff the past couple of days. About the freestyle coaching i think it can only go so far as in they can teach you the fundimentals then you will just get better if you really really like it.

EXACTLY. Take some lessons to learn the basics and start skiing with people that will push you to try new stuff. I never took freestyle skiing lessons but I started ridding with older guys rippin' it and they pushed me to try new and crazy stuff. Just find some people who look like they know what they're doin and introduce yourself. Thats your best bet.

hee!

i'm 29 and my geriatric ass is planning on taking a sick day with a park coach in the next 3 weeks or so. i can ride whole mountain pretty well, but just totally lack the balls to make myself just go and do it. i really just need someone to push me.

(when you're raised by parents who work in the medical profession, you're infused with this whole idea of avoiding risk no matter what... it takes a lot to shake that message)

so hopefully we'll both be throwing down by the end of the season. good luck!

I'd say about 90% of it is all mental and is simply based off of approaching shit with speed outside of your previous comfort zone.

Speed is no problem here- when I first was learning, I was so focused on being faster and faster because I was riding with men who were already snowboarding big mountain for almost 10 years. So now I am as fast and faster than most and have ignored the fun of jumping and jibbing things. Basically I need some stylee to my riding that I think i can add by learning how to handle myself in the park. Oh yeah- and not freaking out when my board leaves the ground.

hee!

i'm 29 and my geriatric ass is planning on taking a sick day with a park coach in the next 3 weeks or so.

That's a great idea!! I totally understand the getting over the risk taking behavior-I work in a hospital also. I am not looking to hurt myself by any means. Good luck- be safe.

yo guys,

Im new to freestyle skiing this year, but i've been working on getting comfortable in the air and on rails. I'm learning pretty quickly but i'm really anxious to pull a 360, and i think im ready. what do you think is my best bet- just go for it, hang with some people who know what they are doing, or get lessons somewhere? Thanks

what do you think is my best bet- just go for it, hang with some people who know what they are doing, or get lessons somewhere? Thanks

Any of these will work out for you. The main difference is that if you hang with a crew or take some lessons you're just gonna be pushed a little harder to go for it than you normally would if you're riding alone.

i took the freestyle lessons twice at bear last year my first year doin freestyle. I started on blades in mid february and then switched to twin tips when i could afford them. The program at bear is nice, its more aerial tricks they teach you than rails. They can teach and show u up to 540, n the rest they tell u what to do, but they cant do it. Rails they teach u more tech stuff, like keeping a wide stance, and if u trying to do switch ups or spins on/off the rail to control with your front foot inside edge. It personally didnt help me too much, it was more the little things like before u go off a jump get on ur inside edges, stuff like that. If you find some freestylers up at the mountain just ask em, im sure theyd be glad to help. if u dont have twin-tips it is worth signing up for the bear program tho, cause they rent u out rossi scratchs which are a good beginner twin tip. u dont need to be able to ski good switch, just be comfortable landing switch. Personally i think you might be better off on ur own, i only have been doin freestlye for 8 months, and within that time i only went up skiing 9 times, so thats 9 skiing days. I finished being able to do butters, 180s, switch 180s, 3's, switch 3's when im lucky, 270 off rail, and now im workin on 270s on. it gets easier and is definately worth tryin out.

bottomline, get out there take the lesson and from there do ur own thing, any problems just ask a fellow skiier.