Still closed

Timeless

With CB still closed today, presumably because it's a little warm and people might perspire too much and offend their "5th Floor" customers, I have to wonder if they are looking to preserve the base with a view to the end of the season.

They have piles pf snow at the top of the hil that they are not grooming out for some reason and I don't recall seeing a whole lot of pipes / guns still out when I was up at the weekend. I really hope it's not the case but I suspect they may be looking to get through to the end with the base they have now and they are closing just to keep as good as they can for presidents day weekend.

I guess the new $3m, 8 slide addition to the waterpark means that they will have to close on the early side anyway so why waste money blowing "spare" snow.

Looks like we're relying on mother nature to give us something now.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to weather.com its currently 57 and cloudy in Tannersville. They probably closed so people wouldn't get heat stroke, or maybe so that there wouldn't be any problems with the flat light.

On a slightly more serious side, there are thunder showers being called for around 5 or 6. THAT DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE TO CLOSE ALL DAMN DAY. It never ceases to amaze me just how much CB manages to close. I couldn't even imagine being someone who has a pass and goes after work or something and you realize that your mountain has been closed 2 days in a row at the beginning of February. Just an FYI, even Tussey mountain was open all day yesterday in the rain and all day today.

Edited by Schifdawg

What you see is what you get, they won't open on a rainy day for a coupla hardcores, they'll salvage what they have going into the weekend. They may do some selective blowing into Prez Day weekend to claim they are "making snow" but it'll be on the greens and a coupla blues, maybe a smidge for the terrain park. That's it, pray for snow!

I have been reluctant to reply to this, but, here goes. Yesterday, very few, maybe less than 5 or 6 people bought tickets. Groups all cancelled and we had lightning and a forecast for rain and t-storms. Today, the forcast we got was supposed to be worse. The question is, do you close temporarily, until all the weather concerns clear, while paying the staff needed to operate, hoping people will show up to ski? Or do you save money, preserve the snow and cut your losses?

I am sure a passholder or two would have shown up, and maybe a handful of others, but, it hardly seems worth it.

As far as the piles of snow and future snowmaking...it is supposed to be real cold next week and the plan is to make everywhere. The piles are stock to fill when the snow gets low.

The location of the new ride is not going to drastically affect the ski area.

I have been reluctant to reply to this, but, here goes. Yesterday, very few, maybe less than 5 or 6 people bought tickets. Groups all cancelled and we had lightning and a forecast for rain and t-storms. Today, the forcast we got was supposed to be worse. The question is, do you close temporarily, until all the weather concerns clear, while paying the staff needed to operate, hoping people will show up to ski? Or do you save money, preserve the snow and cut your losses?

I am sure a passholder or two would have shown up, and maybe a handful of others, but, it hardly seems worth it.

As far as the piles of snow and future snowmaking...it is supposed to be real cold next week and the plan is to make everywhere. The piles are stock to fill when the snow gets low.

I thought they were putting the new water park indoors in the new swanky hotel/timeshare by the Stevenson lift. That just an open area, no slope-age will be sacrificed. I did hear last year after the new owners took over (and did a great job keeping snow on the slopes) that they would eventually expand and open more runs on the Cliffhanger side of the mountain. Just a rumor......

That's exactly why CB will lose 3 passholders to JFBB from my family next year. will they care, I doubt it.

That would be awesome to see, they need some fresh coverage on several trails.

Yesterday, very few, maybe less than 5 or 6 people bought tickets. a.

I hope they refunded their money.

That would be a really poor excuse. It's always worth it toward the passholders. I'm sure there's always other things that employees could do.

Dude, all you have to ever say is: Blue closed. Forget explanations, forget excuses. From this day on, it's just a simple

Blue closed.

Blue shut down operations for the night after a brief, passing thundershower and didn't mention it on the website and the girl on the phone didn't even want to tell me. I had to press her. She kept trying to say that "we'll be open tomorrow morning"...they were trying to hide it.

I'm not saying anything good about CB and I'm not saying anything bad about Blue. I'm just saying that Blue let CB off the hook for the rest of the year.

Camelback webcam is pointing at Rocket and Marjie's, nobody on it, are they still closed? The base must look like shit, cuz they rarely pan the camera at the mountain, lol

I have heard that the webcam is run by a local TV station and that they remotely control the direction that it is pointed. The website says that they are open today with both hi-speeds quads operating.

That's exactly why CB will lose 3 passholders to JFBB from my family next year. will they care, I doubt it.

JFBB is the best value by far unless you are a mid week morning skier only. You will be happy there. length of season and snow coverage and quality will out wiegh the slower lifts, IMO of course!

As for all the people jumping ship on CB for JFBB, Thats actually kind of a tough sell for me. I love boulder and frost, but the fact that all my night skiing would have to be done at boulder doesn't really impress me all that much, and I like to ride park to a fair extent. For anyone with a job, they would get to ski frost twice a week max, unless you had a day off.

I'm surprised the Camelback people aren't switching to Blue for the long runs and fast lifts...it's a no Brainer..

takes too long to get there and Frost is a much nicer place to ride (terrain quality, snow quality, crowds). Don't get me wrong, I like Blue (other than the sketchy snow/grooming) but it would be third choice, maybe lower but I haven't tried sno yet.

nile is great. reminds me a little bit of Blue's paradise, except a little bit better when there aren't many people on it.

paradise is a bit like nile without the good (steeper) bits.