longest Bear/Doe has been open?

JibHonk

Also, as we all know, the majority of guests coming in March come for the parks. Starting March 10th we will turn Timberline and the entire tubing park into terrain park, snow permitting. The best way to assure that we stay open longer is to spread the news to your friends, family, even enemies that the conditions can be great in March.

Andy is already formulating ideas for the new terrain we are turning over to him and the park crew and I expect to see some pretty creative features.

Bear Creek just lost my business in March by turning more trails into a parks.

yeh what is up with that over there. i have always wondered...they have a couple of those guns like blue has and just a few random piles of snow????

Its a water treatment system, you would be amazed at how many places do this. Sewage water is blown into the woods using the older style guns which require a seperate compressed air hose, the snow melts and the water is filtered by nature, at least theoritically. I was told it was all of the waste water from the whole operation but that sounds insane I would imagine maybe its the "grey" water. I remember a white paper on the possibility of blowing waste water into snow for skiing and the dude said that they could not detect any problems with skiing on crap water. Just don't eat the snow.

Essentially if you have well water or older style water treatment plants this is how you get your drinking water too.

Grey water is any non sewage water from drains so we're talking bathtubs, sinks, washing machines, dishwasher etc. The stuff that you cannot use by any means is Black water, which is anything that comes from a toilet. You can technically use Grey water for a few things (not many) The most notable being irrigation. What you're saying bear does is definitely feasible and would check out. However, since I know they just built bigger ponds, and Grey water systems are really really rare (you would have heard bear tooting their horn about how Green they were), I"m pretty baffled at why they would waste resources blowing snow in the woods.

Ok, I guess we should have put a sign up to clear up the mystery about the piles of snow in the woods off the bottom or Timberline.

The water does indeed come from our waste water. We installed a treatment plant this year and fully treat our waste water and store the treated effluent in the the new lagoon at the bottom of F lift. The water in the lagoon is technically clean enough to drink by the time it has been through the complete treatment process.

Unfortunately, we were unable to convince DEP to allow us to use the treated effluent to make snow, so we spray the water into the woods through snowguns in the winter and sprinkler heads in the summer, where is it reabsorbed into the ground water.

The amount of treated effluent we generate in a typical winter would only result in approximately 5 acre feet of additional snow, but it would have been a lot more energy efficient than running a dedicated pump house and 6 additional guns just to dispose of the water.

um.

i'm just throwing out there that i did nastar one wednesday night in early january when they were blowing on timberline. my face got completely coated and for the next solid week, i broke out like i'd never broken out before (and i do not break out). i was a few days away from going to a doctor about it, it was out of control.

was i getting people's old bathwater shot in my face? seriously?

on to more important things, if bear could make it to 3/30 i'd do a happy jig. i mean, preferably it would be open til like memorial day but let's be real, it's a mid-atlantic resort. how badly did today's rain mess things up?

Bear Creek just lost my business in March by turning more trails into a parks.

woah wait up. you actually go to bear to ride non park trails? :rofl

we need a freakin roflcopter emoticon.

the snow in the woods off timberline has a greenish hue to it...or im goin nuts.

i doupt that you were being sprayed with the snow makers that do the water treatment. those guns are pretty far off of the trail and they do not blow very far because they are not fan guns...im sure u were just getting hit with snow from all of the other snow guns on the mtn. i mrean the whole mtn is basicly just a cloud of snow when they are making snow

ya... that just seems like it would be asking for all kinds of trouble...

just had a panicky moment where i read phrases like "waste water" and "bathtubs, sinks, washing machines, dishwasher etc.", and freaked the eff out... just misunderstood where they were when they were discussing placement.

i doupt that you were being sprayed with the snow makers that do the water treatment. those guns are pretty far off of the trail and they do not blow very far because they are not fan guns...im sure u were just getting hit with snow from all of the other snow guns on the mtn. i mrean the whole mtn is basicly just a cloud of snow when they are making snow