Big Sky/Moonlight Basin pics

Mixilplix

Pic #1 is from the Lone Tree Triple on our way to the Tram.

Pic #2 is from the top of Lone Mt.

Pic#4 is over at Moonlight Basin,on a trail called Obsidian just above the Stillwater Bowl.

We stayed at the Mountain Inn at the base of Big Sky.We flew out of ABE with a one stop in Chicago.Booked everything through Expedia and the price was very reasonable.

I really like going to Big Sky/moonlight basin.Fanstastic terrain, friendly people,and it never seems crowded.The longest I waited in a lift line was about two minutes

West Glacier - Belton Chalet, for a wedding. Can't wait!! Never been to Montana. I'll be there for almost a week, and I think one night before the wedding we are going to go out in Whitefish. Sib, you'll have to tell me all the hotspots!!

Sib is an old married lady and only knows "hotspots" by reputation. The Great Northern is apparently THE bar to hit. And the Bulldog Saloon is supposed to be great for burgers...and the bathrooms. I hear they have naughty wallpaper or something. The Blue Moon is the place for country dancing, it's half way between here and Columbia Falls. I have been to NONE of these places. But I would have been in them if I were 30 years younger. ;)

When are you going to be out here?

Sib is an old married lady and only knows "hotspots" by reputation. The Great Northern is apparently THE bar to hit. And the Bulldog Saloon is supposed to be great for burgers...and the bathrooms. I hear they have naughty wallpaper or something. The Blue Moon is the place for country dancing, it's half way between here and Columbia Falls. I have been to NONE of these places. But I would have been in them if I were 30 years younger. ;)

When are you going to be out here?

Sib, thank you for the suggestions!! I have forwarded them along to the bride. I'll be out there from July 9th to the 15th.

Sib, thank you for the suggestions!! I have forwarded them along to the bride. I'll be out there from July 9th to the 15th.
On my calendar. More than likely I'll be working most of those days, but as the time gets closer, I'll try to think of something that an old lady can do with a youngster she doesn't know that well...

On my calendar. More than likely I'll be working most of those days, but as the time gets closer, I'll try to think of something that an old lady can do with a youngster she doesn't know that well...

Awesome! I'd love to meet up. I am so excited for my trip to Montana--never been there!

Are you flying into Kalispell? Great airport. Clean and only three gates. If you miss your flight, the whole place knows within an hour and the janitor is kidding you about it.

Kalispell wouldn't work out with my frequent flier miles, sadly. I'm flying into Great Falls (which is where the bride will be coming from, so we'll drive down to West Glacier/Belton together), and then out of Missoula. Have you ever been to the Belton Chalet before? Should be a good time. After the wedding, we're going to spend a few nights in Missoula, and by "we" I mean me and my two best friends from law school. Can't wait to get into a little trouble with them... my one friend once got arrested for tap dancing on the hood of a police officer's car.... Don't worry though, I'm completely tame:)

Kalispell wouldn't work out with my frequent flier miles, sadly. I'm flying into Great Falls (which is where the bride will be coming from, so we'll drive down to West Glacier/Belton together), and then out of Missoula. Have you ever been to the Belton Chalet before? Should be a good time. After the wedding, we're going to spend a few nights in Missoula, and by "we" I mean me and my two best friends from law school. Can't wait to get into a little trouble with them... my one friend once got arrested for tap dancing on the hood of a police officer's car.... Don't worry though, I'm completely tame:)

Yes, we ate at the Belton Chalet one time after hiking the Highline Trail. It was a LONG hike and we were finally getting to the Park exit around 8:30 or 9 at night (the days are LOOOONGGG) so it was the easiest choice. The food was good and the structure is charming. It's a historic building because it was one of the first hotels built for the area (prior to the actual park). It is modeled after an alpine chalet.

You'll love this area in July. Low humidity and long days. I hope you'll go hiking in the Park. The most popular trails (with good reason) are probably to Avalanche Lake or the Highline. Pictures from various hikes:

Highline

Siyeh Pass

Logan Pass and elsewhere

Yes, we ate at the Belton Chalet one time after hiking the Highline Trail. It was a LONG hike and we were finally getting to the Park exit around 8:30 or 9 at night (the days are LOOOONGGG) so it was the easiest choice. The food was good and the structure is charming. It's a historic building because it was one of the first hotels built for the area (prior to the actual park). It is modeled after an alpine chalet.

You'll love this area in July. Low humidity and long days. I hope you'll go hiking in the Park. The most popular trails (with good reason) are probably to Avalanche Lake or the Highline. Pictures from various hikes:

Highline

Siyeh Pass

Logan Pass and elsewhere

Are MTBikes allowed on those trails?

Wow, those pics are gorgeous, and the wild goats are cute--I didn't realize they were so plentiful! I do hope to get some hiking in. I hope I'm not too busy with wedding activities (actually in the wedding)!! I think things will be fairly laid back though--the bride and groom are super easy going.

Are MTBikes allowed on those trails?
I haven't seen any. I am sure the Park website would say.

Wow, those pics are gorgeous, and the wild goats are cute--I didn't realize they were so plentiful! I do hope to get some hiking in. I hope I'm not too busy with wedding activities (actually in the wedding)!! I think things will be fairly laid back though--the bride and groom are super easy going.
The most reliable goat viewing is the Hidden Lake Overlook trail up at Logan Pass.

• 4 weeks later...