The State of Sno Mountain?

Ride Delaware ?

Before I write this post, I want everyone to first realize that I am by no means bashing on Sno Mountain. In fact, I first skied (I am now a boarder) at Montage mountain when I was 7. However, I have been keeping a close eye on the events surrounding the mountain and wanted to know what your opinions were.

We all know that Sno was bought several years ago and pledged to pour money into the faltering resort. This subsequently led to a desire for them to become year round so they could be"profitable." They poured money into snowmaking improvements, new trails, and a new lodge, but also faltered two years in a row in their desire to build a waterpark. I know that there were some construction issues, but there should be more progress than we are seeing right now. Additionally, they have not posted any information about mountain improvements this year. Does anyone have any inside information? Are their finances going to be able to hold up during these tough financial times? How badly has their desire to open a waterpark hurt their short-term winter operations?

Secondly, I have not been back to snow in 15 years since I was first on skis. I would one day like to go back, but it is very difficult for me to justify when Elk is only a short drive down the road. Sno has not yet put their high speed lift in, and if I am going to ride on trails serviced by slow lifts why not go the extra mile? Elk may lack in snowmaking, but its trail layout is more spread out and their snow is always top notch. Can anyone who has been to both places make an argument that is NOT based on the price of the lift ticket?

Lastly, why has Elk been able to profit all these years on more or less being strictly a winter operation when almost all others in the poconos (bar Blue) have begun to install waterparks? When will Elk begin hurting from the re-emergence of Sno mountain?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would one day like to go back, but it is very difficult for me to justify when Elk is only a short drive down the road. Sno has not yet put their high speed lift in, and if I am going to ride on trails serviced by slow lifts why not go the extra mile? Elk may lack in snowmaking, but its trail layout is more spread out and their snow is always top notch. Can anyone who has been to both places make an argument that is NOT based on the price of the lift ticket?

Meh, I'm not sure why a lot of people over analyze stuff like this. Personally, I like to go different places since no two resorts are the same. I have/had a season pass to Sno, yet still had a chance to check out Blue, Boulder, and Jack Frost last year. All mountains have pros and cons.

To answer your request for a reason to come down to Sno instead of Elk, I'll give it a shot:

No lift lines.

Tons of snow.

The bar. :chea:

Edited by Brian

I also do not get why people overanalyze/freak out about this stuff.

Sno was just purchased in late 2006. I had a season pass last winter and have bought another for this winter. I thought the snow quality was amazing, especially after skiing at both Camelback and Blue. The only reason that I would go to another mountain is for different trails.

Bar/food at Sno is good. Lifts are slow, but I don't think that is awful. Elk is not that close. I think that is exit 207 off 81, whereas Sno is exit 182. 25 miles is kind of a difference. As for me, I live off exit 184, so as far as season passes go, I'd never consider getting one at Elk.

The lifts at Sno are certainly not much slower than the ones at Elk. Elk is a great mountain and I always make a point to hit it up at least once a year. Sno for me is a lot closer, has a nice selection of trails, and I love ripping up the North Face. Here is a breakdown from a local's standpoint:

Elk

Pros: Long blacks, good atmosphere, good snow, great tree runs on snow days

Cons: Expensive, farther drive, hardly any lights, bad park, in the middle of nowhere

Sno

Pros: North Face, 2 big parks, right outside of Scranton, no lines, snow stays good all day,

Cons: Slow lifts, steep trails are not as long.

Elk

Pros: Long blacks, good atmosphere, good snow, great tree runs on snow days

Cons: Expensive, farther drive, hardly any lights, bad park, in the middle of nowhere

Sno

Pros: North Face, 2 big parks, right outside of Scranton, no lines, snow stays good all day,

Cons: Slow lifts, steep trails are not as long.

Shif, come to sno on a snow day, we won't see a trail all day long. Sno has excellent tree skiing if you know where to look. My main reason to ski sno/ montage is its location. Elk is another 45 minutes, tough drive if you have a couple of beers. also you have Scranton and Wilkes Barre afterwards for some good night life. No such thing at Elk, they have a couple of bars but not the clubs that the 2 cities have, not that I have been out much since my kids were born. And I really think the snow quality is much better since the installation of sno's new 8 million snow making system.

definatly overanalized for someone who hasent been to sno in 15 years, as for the status, I don't know anything, I bought my pass, I really hope they don't build the 22 If they don't do the dirt work. Plus the news is saying it might be a really cold winter so thars great news when you think of all that nasty rain we gotlast year. Personaly I think they were just trying to be optimistic with the completon dates, I think they keep running into bad luck but I have faith in them.

snow will do just fine in time. people in the area just need to figure out that sno is not montage. montage at one point used to be crowded, then the suck happened. im sure this season will be much better than last for sno, only positive things can be said about them(compared to montage).

I usually just read this site but have to respond to this. Living in the area and watching the local news and reading the local papers Sno is definatly in big trouble. Back around the end of the summer there was an article mentioned about all of the people suing Sno for unpaid bills.

http://www.scrantontimes.com/articles/2008...es/19805189.txt

Sno Mountain sued for bills; SSA files lien

Share This Story:

Yahoo! Buzz

BY BORYS KRAWCZENIUK

STAFF WRITER

Published: Thursday, June 26, 2008

Updated: Thursday, June 26, 2008 1:00 AM EDT

The operator of the former Montage Ski Resort that has struggled to add a water park there has been sued three times for unpaid bills since November and faces a recently filed sewer lien, according to Lackawanna County and federal court records.

The total owed by Sno Mountain LLC, according to suits and the lien, is more than $175,000. But the suits also show a local ski supplier that sued was paid, and another suit by a wristband supplier was settled for a smaller amount. A suit by a local advertising agency and a Scranton Sewer Authority lien remain unresolved.

Meanwhile, the water park, known as Sno Cove, was originally scheduled to open last July. Company officials blamed construction complications and delays in receiving state funding for the delay.

Company officials said Wednesday they still don

Edited by heretic177

yeah I know of employees who had there paychecks bounce. Maybe there not in trouble, maybe there just lazy idiots who forget to pay there bills? lazy... like yeah we will get around to it... Now i'm just really nervous because if they don't have money right now it may be super hard to get loans for payroll, no employees, no sno, which means i'm out $550 for my pass. Good luck sno...

yeah I know of employees who had there paychecks bounce. Maybe there not in trouble, maybe there just lazy idiots who forget to pay there bills? lazy... like yeah we will get around to it... Now i'm just really nervous because if they don't have money right now it may be super hard to get loans for payroll, no employees, no sno, which means i'm out $550 for my pass. Good luck sno...

i think if they did or do go under and cant open this year, you would get your money back

I probably do not know anything, but It seems to me that the water park, or lack there of should not be used as a gauge of sno's success as mountain. I spent alot of time up there last winter, and it seemed like for the most part they had their shi* together, especially compared to the montage days. They have made improvements, but are trying to do alot at once. I think that weather allowing, this should be a great season for sno, and hopefully they receive some positive hype for it. I feel like everyone is a little too anxious to jump on sno and forecast the fate of the mountain. just my 2cents :D

Edited by rastasquid

yeah thats the problem with sno...they are doing to much at one time, the wate park the ski resort and this zipline thing...they should just put the waterpark on the back burner untill the economy changes or the owners have enough money or the right loans....and hell the ski season might be good enouhg hthis year and make them enouhg money to get eveything together

atleast they are doing somthing to get rid of the montage name and improving the mountain for the better

• 2 weeks later...
yeah thats the problem with sno...they are doing to much at one time, the wate park the ski resort and this zipline thing...they should just put the waterpark on the back burner untill the economy changes or the owners have enough money or the right loans....and hell the ski season might be good enouhg hthis year and make them enouhg money to get eveything together

atleast they are doing somthing to get rid of the montage name and improving the mountain for the better

I think to put the water park on the back burner would be crazy. That is where they will eventually make their money.

Sno no longer has the services of world class terrain park builder ryan neptune. He got out of his contract a year early. Such a shame, he was so cool and such an innovator. =p, Incase you didnt see, that was sarcasm. Heres a message I got from the shit head.

RyanNeptune --> montageskier

You might be happy to know Planet is finally out of its contract with Sno-Mtn and I have worked out a plan for rails for Camelback and I am donating a rail jib feature and rake to Big Boulder all of which are now load.

But since I am such a piece of shit and cant build anything according to you I guess it probably wont effect you too much eitherway.

RyanNeptune --> montageskier

You might be happy to know Planet is finally out of its contract with Sno-Mtn and I have worked out a plan for rails for Camelback and I am donating a rail jib feature and rake to Big Boulder all of which are now load.

But since I am such a piece of shit and cant build anything according to you I guess it probably wont effect you too much eitherway.

Wow, I am actually so happy that Plant is gone!

haha thats pretty sweet that sir ryan neptune himself said that. i hope this years good, im going to be visiting family in dunmore so i should be getting up there for the first time in a while.

from what ive heard from people, neptune gone will only make the parks better.

Well if Planet is gone, who is going to run the parks?
I don't mean to bash on Planet but they really didn't do too much for Sno last year. They came in maybe once a month to redo the park, if that. Sno's park crew has the potential this year to make the park a lot better without the plans of Planet. As long as Sno has a designated groomer for the park this year, which im pretty positive they do, the park is only going to get better.

Wow, I am actually so happy that Plant is gone!

Went up to the Shoppes at Montage last night and drove up the access road. Everything past Glen Maura had a decent amount of snow on it. Slopes were covered. Access road and other roads had been plowed. When I was up there in the evening, it looks like they had maybe gotten 4-6 inches? I am awful at guestimating snow totals, so I don't really know. 4-6 inches is at the parking lot. I bet there was more at the top of the mountain.