Jackson Hole 1/8/2009

AtomicSkier

Woke up this morning at 7am, and was decided whether today or tomorrow would be a better day to use our last day on our Jackson Hole ticket. I thought about doing an afternoon today, and then skiing tomorrow, but an afternoon ticket at JH is still $70. Anyway, I decided today might turn out ok. And, it did. Got to the mountain and they were bombing like crazy, even though it didn't really snow last night. Extremely warm temperatures made the snow pack even more unstable, and they were having serious issues getting the headwall to stabilize. They hit the headwall at least 6 times. Gondola was the last to open because of it, but we were moving by 9:45am. There was no snow on the trees in AV, or until about 1/2 way up the gondola line, which didn't exactly make us rush over to AV as there was definitely rain/wintry mix on the lower portion of the mountain overnight. While we were waiting, the sun was shining on the top 1/4 of the mountain, and then worked its way down. Soon, it was a blue bird day at Jackson Hole.

I was really wondering what the snow conditions would be like, so we took a quick groomer run down on Sundance to warm up. Wow. The high winds overnight had dried out about the top 4" of snow and smoothed everything out, so the ungroomed portion was absolutely amazing, especially since we were first tracks down it. We took the Gondola back up, and headed down into Amphitheater which was nicely groomed for some serious GS arcs, and then we took Thunder up. We could see that Sublette was closed, which sucked, but down into Laramie Bowl, there were only maybe 15 tracks in the whole bowl, and again, 4" of chalky/soft wind blown snow which was just awesome to ski. So good, we did it again, and maybe even a third time. By lunch time we had already racked up two gondola runs and 4 thunders. Before getting some food, we wanted to see how AV was, and hit up Saratoga, but as we got in line at AV, they closed it due to winds. Ugh. So we went back to the gondola, took it up to the top, and ate at the Headwall Cafe. The "Bridger Bomb" is an awesome sandwich, BTW.

After lunch we alternated between the lower portion of Cirque accessible from Thunder, and Laramie Bowl. By 1pm, the snow was really starting to soften up, and become almost mashed potato like. By 2pm, the clouds came, and the storm starting rolling in, and the snow instantly firmed up. Ugh. It went from chalky and untouched to soft and skiable, to rock hard. We ended up with 9 laps off of thunder, and 4 gondola runs. Up till about 1:30pm, it was awesome, much better then expected. The sun was a bonus, as we were not expecting it, and an awesome way to end our skiing at Jackson Hole.

I don't know what we're doing tomorrow, but sleeping in is on the list of things to do. Our flight leaves at 7am on Saturday morning, so we've got to be up at the asscrack of the middle of the night on Saturday morning to get the shuttle to the airport. I may just hang out as my feet really want a rest before I resume skiing in PA. I have some work I could catch up on, so we'll see. Jackson Hole is an awesome place though. Like nothing else I've ever skied. Everyone needs to come here at least once. I'll see everyone back in PA!

img17.jpg

img18.jpg

That's Tom standing at the top waiting for a clean run :)

img19.jpg

Nice..so are you gonna buy a lift ticket tomorrow????? It looks like they're going to get dumped on alot overnight and there's some more terrain for you guys to explore..or maybe Targhee..

With more snow tonight, I don't feel like spending $87 to wait until 11:30am to ski the upper mountain. The snowpack is taking so much time to stabilize in the morning that it's just not worth it. Yesterday, they were giving people full refunds as early as 10am because of the delays.

boo hoo....so you're just going to watch TV all day??? I am shaking my head thinking about the fact that you're going to skip out on a powder day because you have to spend 87 bucks..you're rich..87 bucks is like a quarter.. :lol:

If I could ski powder at 9am, I'd be more inclined, but having to get there at 8:30am to get in line, and waiting until 11:30am sucks.

BTW, not a lot of snow on the way for tomorrow, maybe a few inches at most.

aka... call mom and dad.

The line was busy. B)

Are you and Tom gonna get decked out in Cowboy fashions??? Maybe you can sleep in..have a nice brunch..and ski a few hours at Snow King..

The new Jeff is a pussy. If you went through what I went through, you'd appreciate getting to the mountain at the bottom of a day (or trip) in once piece. It's happened twice to me, and it's not fun. The new Jeff skied 6 great days and is content. No need to push it.

To all, a full day ticket here is a mere $61. No waiting in line midweek. Sure, no one's heard of it, but with 3000 acres of mostly treed skiing and some areas you can kill yourself as quickly as you like, why pay more?

IMG_1693.JPG

Edited by sibhusky

Right on!!! The new GrilledSteeze is trying to preserve himself as well. Anyway Jeff I'm glad you've had a great time in Jackson Hole....what are you guys doing tonight..you should party like rockstars since you can sleep in..maybe do some country line dancing at the cowboy bar..yeeee hah

Shut up. I know you'll be talking shit about me not skiing tomorrow to people at Blue Mountain tomorrow. hahaha

We're debating on what to do for dinner tonight. We ended up going to the Snake River Brewery again last night.

To all, a full day ticket here is a mere $61. No waiting in line midweek. Sure, no one's heard of it, but with 3000 acres of mostly treed skiing and some areas you can kill yourself as quickly as you like, why pay more?

Whitefish is gorgeous! Sib, I so wish my friend's wedding had been during the winter months. I highly recommend people visit Whitefish--they've got a great brewery, too!

What people at Blue mountain??? I was skiing solo today..even Concussion Ted and Matt Reynard are too cool to ski with me..

Newsflash...Sibhusky is on facebook...wow..friend request coming!!!

haha...maybe she'll let you stay for free too....her daughter is pretty good looking :naughty

Don't worry Sibhusky..I'll be visiting you sometime..as for why pay more..it's Jackson hole and my 6 out 8 day lift ticket through central reservations is $360..a bargain..I would pay 300 bucks a day to ski Jackson Hole..it's that good..

You must be making a hell of a salary at that tombstone place....

You're right, $360 isn't bad. For six days here, spread any way you like, it would come to $336, not much of a difference. But I bet the food and hotels are cheaper.

The daughter is 21. And, I am afraid, is very unforgiving of certain personality types.

Good luck finding me on Facebook.

Edited by sibhusky

IMG_1693.JPG

I'd come to whitefish if i had someone to go with. Or atleast someone to ride with while im out there.

Edit: after looking at plane tickets, they are a bit more pricey, and most have 2 layovers.

Edited by Dan-

I'd come to whitefish if i had someone to go with. Or atleast someone to ride with while im out there.

Edit: after looking at plane tickets, they are a bit more pricey, and most have 2 layovers.

Delta out of PHL to Kalispel (FCA) is your best bet, and is a one stopper in SLC for $503 including taxes ($454 before). Expensive, yes, but flights to Jackson were all over $400 without taxes (besides the one I snagged for $302). Worth it if Sibhusky is providing free accommodations :P

Delta out of PHL to Kalispel (FCA) is your best bet, and is a one stopper in SLC for $503 including taxes ($454 before). Expensive, yes, but flights to Jackson were all over $400 without taxes (besides the one I snagged for $302). Worth it if Sibhusky is providing free accommodations :P

Uh, there are flights to jackson right now for 298.

When I lived in NJ, we flew out of Newark and never had more than one change of flight. Delta changes in SLC and NWair changes in Minneapolis.

I hope to be back in "ski with" form next season, but I don't see me being much fun in the upcoming weeks. I was looking longingly today at Upper Hollywood under the lift, but I know I don't have the strength yet for that.

We had Pocono-like conditions today on the front side, as I said to someone, "well, you can get an edge in, that's all you ask for back East." Backside was wonderful as always.

Since Doug is the only PASR going to JH after me I have a surprise for him.

Snagged first class on the way home for $70. You don't have to pay the $40 for luggage so it's really only $30. Not bad, plus they're serving breakfast.

Don't be so sure of that.