Least difficult black run at Blue?

Maksim

Just as the topic goes... least difficult of the black runs at blue? Trying to go beyond the switchbacks and dreamweaver. Thanks for the help.

Switchback can be just as hard as any other trail at Blue on any given day....

I believe that almost anyone can ski down any groomed trail (in the poconos) as long as they are skiing properly.

Start off by skiing across the mountain instead of just pointing them straight. Making longer turns will keep you in a control of your speed on any pitch the pokies have to offer.

Just Man up and do it...

Just as the topic goes... least difficult of the black runs at blue? Trying to go beyond the switchbacks and dreamweaver. Thanks for the help.

Depends on the conditions, but assuming they all suck equally as badly then I would say mainstreet is a good place to start.

hehe, yeah, I think mostly in my head. I have no problem lapping Switchback when it is scrapped off as it usually is.

Like yesterday, just did a warmup run on paradise and lazy mile, then was lapping dreamweaver and switchback all day.

Edited by Maksim

Maksim,

I bet you can tackle any groomed black at Blue if you are confident in your abilities and just traverse side to side. As long as the run is groomed out, just traverse side to side, and if it makes you feel better, you can stop, at the side of the trail, as well.

At the end of the season last year, I did White Lightning at Sno, and man is that trail steep (okay, maybe not steep to everyone else, but to me it is!). I had no problem with it, though, because I just traversed back and forth, and then when I felt more confident, I skiied a bit more like a normal person!

Also, skiing with a buddy is a great way to boost your confidence--it's great to have another person there with you. Good luck!

Edit: Corrected spelling mistake.

Edited by Melissa

I'd also put a vote in for Raceway (perhaps before Main St??). Usually pretty good conditions (due to lack of general use) and you can always bail out to Burma if you don't want to do Midway/Chute/Main St. The run is shorter than Main St and if you were really in the mood for some torture you could lap it using the Vista Chair. Don't say I didn't warn you though.

thanks for all the advice so far.

with the new skis this year, much easier time arcing turns on switchback and bottom section of dreamweaver.

The biggest thing in my head is not sooo much my skiing abilities, but all the nut cases zooming by without an ounce of caution. =) I remember the first time I was on Lazy Mile. hehe...

I actually feel more comfortable on a steeper trail, like Switchback, then on Paradise fearing a newbie snowboarder will go out of control and plow into me from the back.

and yes... isnt falls double black or seriously a typo?

that is an amazing trail that in my opinion actually deserves to be called a black diamond.

Agreed

Take Lazy Mile into Falls a few times. Falls is a short enough black to work on some confidence skills.

Also agreed. I have a tendency to push people skiing with me to progress (rather, they're forced to since I don't like to wait or be held up at the lift and I ski fast), and I'll sometimes take people to Falls without telling them, then at the top I'm more or less like "well, we're here, might as well ski it". Tell them to take it easy, go across the mountain, etc... And afterward the response has always been "That wasn't so bad". (Don't worry, I don't do this to beginners, just people who are ready to progress but don't realize it).

From easiest to hardest...

1. Raceway (on of my favs!)

2. Midway

3. Main St. (only harder than Midway because the snow is usually so sloppy/ choppy)

4. Chute (can be scary due to piles that form at the bottom)

5. Falls

6. Razors

7. Challenge

I ski on an intermediate level too and am sometimes ascared on the steeper stuff as well as the really crowded trails. Despite my fears I still try the stuff at least once per trip because most of the time I find that I am afraid for no reason and that I could ski the trail with little to no trouble. Of course this really does depend on the conditions (someone else said this too) but overall most of the blacks and even a lot of the double blacks at Blue are totally manageable if you are an intermediate.

If you do end up traversing please look uphill at each turn and leave some room for people who aren't creeping down the mountain. You have every right to be there if you are in control, but be considerate for those moving faster. When you start linking turns and getting on the fall line, even if you are moving faster, giving faster traffic the curtousy look isn't as important.

If you do end up traversing please look uphill at each turn and leave some room for people who aren't creeping down the mountain. You have every right to be there if you are in control, but be considerate for those moving faster. When you start linking turns and getting on the fall line, even if you are moving faster, giving faster traffic the curtousy look isn't as important.

I'll give that a big X2