A Big Thank you to Bear Creek

Papasteeze

How often does the G. M. come out to check things out? Have you ever seen or let alone met an upper management person on any slope? BC is putting every effort they can to improve their hill. While it is small and wouldn't hold out interest for Ridge and I on a weekend day, an evening at BC is just right for us. One boy races, one boy rails, the signifcant other brings her wireless notebook, I just hang around - everybody is happy and has a good time..

Just giving credit where credit is due. Check em out one evening!

How often does the G. M. come out to check things out?  Have you ever seen or let alone met an upper management person on any slope?  BC is putting every effort they can to improve their hill.  While it is small and wouldn't hold out interest for Ridge and I on a weekend day, an evening at BC is just right for us.  One boy races, one boy rails, the signifcant other brings her wireless notebook, I just hang around - everybody is happy and has a good time..

Just giving credit where credit is due. Check em out one evening!

The lodge is a nice place to hang around...I wish other lodges in PA were as nice. Your kid looks great in that pic.

Was the old lodge so terrible that the new one seems so great? I hadn't been there in years, but I hate all the steps when I'm traveling with my kid. She has these short little legs and I have to haul her up each level like a bag of dog food.

I had a terrific time because of the people I was skiing with, but BC strikes me as about as interesting a place to ski as Shawnee.

They did a good job listing a late closing date, since they'll now get pressure to stick with it no matter the weather.

'999, there's no reason to hike up stairs. They have lockers, bubbler, bathrooms, etc., downstairs.

I have more fun at BC NASTAR than anywhere else. I don't really care if the course is short. 18 v. 25 seconds - what's the difference? It'd be different if other resorts ran courses of a minute, or used real headwalls.

Edited by skimom

'999, there's no reason to hike up stairs. They have lockers, bubbler, bathrooms, etc., downstairs. 

I have more fun at BC NASTAR than anywhere else. I don't really care if the course is short.  18 v. 25 seconds - what's the difference?  It'd be different if other resorts ran courses of a minute, or used real headwalls.

What's a bubbler? I like the sound of it, whatever it is. Well, I never even considered eating lunch in the very convenient locker room at CB. It just seems like you'd be eating in a locker room. And food service was just upstairs? I ski with a kid that likes her nachos. As far as I'm considered, Montage or any other ski area, could knock down their lodges in exchange for one more good trail.

I prefer a long course. Like the Mountain Creek GS this time was much more fun---TO ME--- with the gates down to the finish house. I like the 30 second headwall, but that extra 10 seconds, or so, of setting up then tucking the bottom is awesome. The long Blue Mt. course last year was the best GS course I've ever been on. Just a matter of preference.

Was the old lodge so terrible that the new one seems so great? I hadn't been there in years, but I hate all the steps when I'm traveling with my kid. She has these short little legs and I have to haul her up each level like a bag of dog food.

I had a terrific time because of the people I was skiing with, but BC strikes me as about as interesting a place to ski as Shawnee.

They did a good job listing a late closing date, since they'll now get pressure to stick with it no matter the weather.

The lodge is way better than the hill at BC...The hill itself may be enjoyable for some NASTAR people, but overall I think it is only slightly better than spring MT. for an all around skiing/boarding experience. Blue MT is worth the extra travel time when coming from the south.

The lodge is way better than the hill at BC...The hill itself may be enjoyable for some NASTAR people, but overall I think it is only slightly better than spring MT.  for an all around skiing/boarding experience.  Blue MT is worth the extra travel time when coming from the south.

When we start getting bored at BC we race to the bottom Switch!! Makes for some good wipe outs..

I think the other reason why their base depth is so high is that not only do they blow snow but whenever it snows they add that to the base and after its gone they keep it in there. People to me the base isn't as deep as they claim it is.

Another thing and I don't mean to rag them, but everytime it snows and I mean everytime they claim to have more snow than me and my house is farther north than them. Lets say I get 5" at my house, bears website says they got 8"? I don't get that one especially when it is a northern storm and they got more snow than blue and camelback.

The lodge is way better than the hill at BC...The hill itself may be enjoyable for some NASTAR people, but overall I think it is only slightly better than spring MT.  for an all around skiing/boarding experience.  Blue MT is worth the extra travel time when coming from the south.

BC's Wednesday night $10 lift ticket for ski club members (and people with Photoshop) makes it worth checking out, but unless that bubbler does something really good, I didn't see any other reason besides NASTAR to ever go.

Another thing and I don't mean to rag them, but everytime it snows and I mean everytime they claim to have more snow than me and my house is farther north than them. Lets say I get 5" at my house, bears website says they got 8"? I don't get that one especially when it is a northern storm and they got more snow than blue and camelback.

Ha, that's pretty typical. But Montage's website is so lame that they let snowstorms go by without an update then it never gets added into the season total on the main page. I think it's part of their effort to keep lifts line short.

I wish to thank them as well as I bought a pass there this season and have not been disappointed. I just get back from there and the park was in great condition as usual and conditions overall were great, the jumpline is sick. It does lack in freeriding but the park is the best in PA. I'd rather buy a pass here (its cheap) and pay to freeride at other resorts (Blue,Elk), plus its the closest resort to me. Bear did an exceptional job maintaining their park, I will be getting a pass there again next year. :rock

I wish to thank them as well as I bought a pass there this season and have not been disappointed.  I just get back from there and the park was in great condition as usual and conditions overall were great, the jumpline is sick.  It does lack in freeriding but the park is the best in PA.  I'd rather buy a pass here (its cheap) and pay to freeride at other resorts (Blue,Elk), plus its the closest resort to me.  Bear did an exceptional job maintaining their park,  I will be getting a pass there again next year.  :rock

i am in the same boat as you.

• 2 weeks later...

one of the things i seriously love about bear creek is the gm, the guy is always out and visible if not on the hill taking pics, riding, or talking to people. and if you miss him during the day he's bound to be in the restaurant/bar in the evening. the dude is great and has helped turn that mt around 200%.

one of the things i seriously love about bear creek is the gm, the guy is always out and visible if not on the hill taking pics, riding, or talking to people.  and if you miss him during the day he's bound to be in the restaurant/bar in the evening.  the dude is great and has helped turn that mt around 200%.

in my limited experience of dealing with him about the PASR day, he has been a great help! great job! :rock

• 1 month later...

I am reviving this thread because of some interesting things I learned today from a Marketing person within BC while at my favorite ski shop. In a nutshell, BC will continue to improve and expand their facilities, the new lodge was apparently only the first step. Now is the time to talk up and convince them to take a hard look on what it would take to offer an extened season.

My suggestion is simple: blow a deeper base at night on the main slope adjacent to their main lift throughout the season, install pilings and supports sufficient for a tent of circus porportions. Shift the park features over and market the hey out of spring rail jams and spring fun races and I bet they will be crowded for as long as the snow doesn't melt.

I know that the idea of shifting the tubing park and increasing the size of the park is already on the table along with a separate ski school facility. There was mention of an ice rink (think shavings!!) - As the trends are emerging they seem to be actively planning to make BC a year around destination. IMO Bear stands the best chance to "cover" the spring season...

Here is the link to their survey page.. Fill it out - if they don't hear from us they won't know..

Bear Creek Contact page

Edited by Papasteeze