Blue Mountain Curiosities

RidgeRacer

i doubt ull see th trail open next year.... new lift mey or may not happen.. possible new groomer for tubing.... maybe chenging lower sidewinder around either this year or next year.. ull have to wait and see

Oh man, come on- don't leave us hanging!! At least a hint?!

I have had fried Oreos, but not at Blue. My roommate and I were at Drinkers Pub in Philadelphia and they had fried Snickers, 3 Musketeers, Oreos, and Twinkies. We couldn't help ourselves and had to order the oreos and twinkies. The twinkies were ok, but the fried oreos were unreal! :rock

Fried candybars/cookies have to be the ultimate white trash food. :wiggle

i got them last night. deelish. :drool

Ya just what I want, turn Blue into a country club... Seriously though, I just want a mountain that embraces mountain sports, and takes advantage of the land it has to give its patrons the best possible experience for their money. This includes worldclass terrain parks, stellar snowmaking and grooming (read quality not quantity, blow drier), modern facilities and decent food for the money (Blues food has definitely gone downhill in the past 5 years or so), and make the mountain appealing to an outdoors savy crowd year round. Like support mountain biking, build hiking trails that access the appalachian, and never ever build a huge dirty waterpark. If the owners and managers at Blue were into the outdoors and participated in many of the sports their customers do that place would be entirely different.

I was informed by the director of the Snowports staff at Blue that there have been plans for a long time to have paradise run down on the left hand side of the quad as you are going up the quad. It would tie into what now is the snowboard bunny hill, valley school east, and that way you would have people accessing the quad from both sides, which would really make the flow into the quad much smoother because people would be lining up on both sides, then coming at it in groups of four from straight on. This would also get alot of beginners off of Homestretch, and just reduces the congestion in that general area. Tubing would be moved over a little bit and some other things would be shifted around in that area. That is the most realistic change I see within the next two years, along with the completion of new trail under the quad.

As a disclaimer, I don't consider hunting an outdoor sport. Unless it is with a longbow, a spear, or a blowgun. Don't bother posting if you disagree, because I don't care. Yeah I'm an as*hole today...

Ya just what I want, turn Blue into a country club... Seriously though, I just want a mountain that embraces mountain sports, and takes advantage of the land it has to give its patrons the best possible experience for their money. This includes worldclass terrain parks, stellar snowmaking and grooming (read quality not quantity, blow drier), modern facilities and decent food for the money (Blues food has definitely gone downhill in the past 5 years or so), and make the mountain appealing to an outdoors savy crowd year round. Like support mountain biking, build hiking trails that access the appalachian, and never ever build a huge dirty waterpark. If the owners and managers at Blue were into the outdoors and participated in many of the sports their customers do that place would be entirely different.

I was informed by the director of the Snowports staff at Blue that there have been plans for a long time to have paradise run down on the left hand side of the quad as you are going up the quad. It would tie into what now is the snowboard bunny hill, valley school east, and that way you would have people accessing the quad from both sides, which would really make the flow into the quad much smoother because people would be lining up on both sides, then coming at it in groups of four from straight on. This would also get alot of beginners off of Homestretch, and just reduces the congestion in that general area. Tubing would be moved over a little bit and some other things would be shifted around in that area. That is the most realistic change I see within the next two years, along with the completion of new trail under the quad.

As a disclaimer, I don't consider hunting an outdoor sport. Unless it is with a longbow, a spear, or a blowgun. Don't bother posting if you disagree, because I don't care. Yeah I'm an as*hole today...

i agree... and Trevor... you are my hero.

You can see the beginnings of that trail to the left of paradise actually. As you're about to cross over paradise, just look to the left.

However, loading from both sides would increase congestion. The fastest moving line would be ONE line and just have it super long, that's the fastest way. You can only load people as fast as the lift can move. It may make the lines look smaller, but you're still going to wait in line the same time. Blue's current method is maxing out of the lift capacity of course. I would not replace any of Blue's lifts, definatly not the ones on Main Street. Those need to remain doubles to preserve those trails for later in the day, after the east side gets skied off.

do you mean east of paradise?? or the one right below the lift??

East of paradise, it is evident that they begun cutting a trail there, and it looks as if it would feed into the bunny hill (or the end of paradise too). Im looking forward to see what that trail under the lift is like though, looks like it could be narrow and fun :)

the garbage...

as for the carnival food...

i actually like it quite a bit. the funnel cake isn't all that bad, i had one the other night. it is sort of a nice change from your typical lodge food. sort of makes you feel like you are at a classic PA style summer carnival. i recomend trying the black diamond steak sandwiches. they are a lil pricey, but if you see one that has just recently been put out on the warmer grab that sucker. avoid the ones that appear to have been sitting there for some time cause they get a lil dry after sitting there. the one thing i have yet to try that i am interested in is the fried oreos. anybody try em yet?

Oh! I tried the fried oreos! They are sooooo good, espeacilly after your done on the slopes. You should try them! They are sooooooooo good :rock:D:yes:clap:sprint:bow: <<to the fried oreos!!!!!!

Atomic,

Its not so much where you have the lift users coming from, its more about how you load them. Also, if the runs would come down on either side, riders would be able to see the length of the line on both sides, and then naturally proceed towards the side with less people in line, so in Blues case the lines should even themselves out on both sides (although nothing works normally at Blue). If you have ever been to Okemo, they have a good example of working a quad line in a small amount of space where riders come from both sides. A good line also requires a constant line attendant, something with which Blue has been much better this year. Its also detrimental to "load people as fast as the lift can move." The key is to find the speed at which lift users will load at the most efficient rate. This rate comes from reducing the amount of falls in the lift line. Here is a link to an article that provides info on how to run a lift in an efficient manner, and pretty much goes into detail on what I've said. http://www.saminfo.com/issues/article.php?tid=3395

Atomic,

Its not so much where you have the lift users coming from, its more about how you load them. Also, if the runs would come down on either side, riders would be able to see the length of the line on both sides, and then naturally proceed towards the side with less people in line, so in Blues case the lines should even themselves out on both sides (although nothing works normally at Blue). If you have ever been to Okemo, they have a good example of working a quad line in a small amount of space where riders come from both sides. A good line also requires a constant line attendant, something with which Blue has been much better this year. Its also detrimental to "load people as fast as the lift can move." The key is to find the speed at which lift users will load at the most efficient rate. This rate comes from reducing the amount of falls in the lift line. Here is a link to an article that provides info on how to run a lift in an efficient manner, and pretty much goes into detail on what I've said. http://www.saminfo.com/issues/article.php?tid=3395

Great article! :)

i agree about loading from both sides. Mt Sunapee in NH has a quad that loads from both sides, and you wouldn't think it but with a good attendant there directing traffic they really keep that thing movin along.

In addition i would rather wait longer in a line with less people then wait even a slightly shorter amount of time across a huge line. Huge line are annoying... too much motion and too many chances for idiots to run into the back of your board/skiis. All that shuffling around in a long line gets cumbersome. I welcome the change if they go to dual loading at blue.