Blue Mountain Curiosities

RidgeRacer

I like Blue. They have some good terrain and nice trails (switcback, razors, challange). Great service too. But I've always wondered a few things. Why is Tut's lane an intermediate trail? Why are razors and challenge ranked double black. They aren't any tougher than Susquehanna, Slalom, or Tunkhannok at Elk. In fact the latter might be tougher. Why is there so much garbage under the lifts? (especially the quad). It's really an eyesore and no one seems to care. Oh and what's with the Funnel cake and Hot Dog stands at the Valley lodge area. Just wondering thats all.

That'd be awesome... you can already see at least one new trail being cut, who knows... I hear they have a lot of land past paradise. I've wondered about tut too, as it is no harder than paradise.. As for challenge and razor's, they are significantly more challenging than anything else AT BLUE, thus the double black rating. A trail that is designated blue at another mountain could be harder, it all has to do with how it compares to the other slopes at that particular mountain.

I like Blue. They have some good terrain and nice trails (switcback, razors, challange). Great service too. But I've always wondered a few things. Why is Tut's lane an intermediate trail? Why are razors and challenge ranked double black. They aren't any tougher than Susquehanna, Slalom, or Tunkhannok at Elk. In fact the latter might be tougher. Why is there so much garbage under the lifts? (especially the quad). It's really an eyesore and no one seems to care. Oh and what's with the Funnel cake and Hot Dog stands at the Valley lodge area. Just wondering thats all.

Tut's lane is most likely an intermediate trail because that's what it services :) You CAN get to Burma from Tut's, but still, every other trail is a blue or a black. The garbage problem will disspear next year I bet, with the addition of th new trail (blue needs to have a trash collection thing, as camelback does). And they have some good food at that stand thingy :)

ye ait would b nice to have a lift or tow rope for the pipe and parks

:yes i've suggested that plenty of times

i heard blue is expanding and a nother quad

i've heard this too, however, i think for next year, we'll only be seeing new trails. Perhaps in 2 years.

That'd be awesome... you can already see at least one new trail being cut, who knows... I hear they have a lot of land past paradise. I've wondered about tut too, as it is no harder than paradise.. As for challenge and razor's, they are significantly more challenging than anything else AT BLUE, thus the double black rating. A trail that is designated blue at another mountain could be harder, it all has to do with how it compares to the other slopes at that particular mountain.

you're absoloutly right about the rating system. And yea, they own 1/2-3/4 miles east of the most eastern part of paradise, so they've got a good chunk for expansion. Depends on how well they do this year, will dictate how much they do for next year..

Tut's lane is most likely an intermediate trail because that's what it services  :) You CAN get to Burma from Tut's, but still, every other trail is a blue or a black.  The garbage problem will disspear next year I bet, with the addition of th new trail (blue needs to have a trash collection thing, as camelback does).  And they have some good food at that stand thingy  :)

:yes  i've suggested that plenty of times

i've heard this too, however, i think for next year, we'll only be seeing new trails.  Perhaps in 2 years.

you're absoloutly right about the rating system.  And yea, they own 1/2-3/4 miles east of the most eastern part of paradise, so they've got a good chunk for expansion.  Depends on how well they do this year, will dictate how much they do for next year..

they put in a tow rope it would b so much easier instead of hiking the feature over and over it get tiring doin that juss for an hour straight

• 10 months later...
i doubt ull see th trail open next year.... new lift mey or may not happen.. possible new groomer for tubing.... maybe chenging lower sidewinder around either this year or next year.. ull have to wait and see

tubing is a piece of crap. screw it. they should spend $0 on that. Blue isnt known for its tubing, its known for its slopes. spend money on what people care about.

the garbage...

how bout people ACTUALLY stop littering for once. I think all mountains need those funnel trash cans like CB and a trash can on your way into a lift and right after you get off. If the proper recipticals are placed approprietly 90% of the problem will be solved. Unfortunetly there will always be morons who litter.

as for the double blacks...

marketing my friends, that is the key reason. Camelback is probably Blue's biggest competitor. CB made Cliffhanger a double diamond and all of a sudden a few years later blue had 2 double diamonds. just allows them to say they have more of something then CB.

as for the carnival food...

i actually like it quite a bit. the funnel cake isn't all that bad, i had one the other night. it is sort of a nice change from your typical lodge food. sort of makes you feel like you are at a classic PA style summer carnival. i recomend trying the black diamond steak sandwiches. they are a lil pricey, but if you see one that has just recently been put out on the warmer grab that sucker. avoid the ones that appear to have been sitting there for some time cause they get a lil dry after sitting there. the one thing i have yet to try that i am interested in is the fried oreos. anybody try em yet?

the one thing i have yet to try that i am interested in is the fried oreos. anybody try em yet?

I've never had em at Blue, in fact, I've never actually paid to have em.. but my friends n I have deep fried mini Oreos, n the peanut butter kind... omg they're AMAZING! We shoulda patented the idea since we've been doin it for some years now.

We've also deep fried mini Nutter Butters [yummy], a Twinkie [cake stuff good, cream filling nasty], pickles, n a poptart [which led to some puking..].

I'll help clean it up, after they close. Then I can gather up all the good junk the tourists left behind. Ski magazine had a huge artilce in October I think about locals cleaning up under the lift and all the good stuff they found. One person even found a daimond ring.

Last year on closing day I was riding up the Main Street lift and watched as two lifties came down the hill picking up poles and other stuff. When I rode up the next time I watched as they found a pack of cigs and divided them up between them. Atleast they took away the can of red paint that left from when they painted the lift towers over the summer.

who cares about the trash under the lifts we have a 50 foot booter???????? enough said!!!!

:wub: I <3 BLue :wub:

along with the trash thing.... hunter has large tarp squares that u can throw ur trash in while on the lift its kinda fun and it at least collects the trash in a certain area

the only time they need a quad is sometimes on the weekend and holidays because it is crowded. its like that anywhere else. before they put in another lift they should work on expanding the mountain a little bit. i ahve been up there 35 days this year and the only time they could have really used a secnd quad was when the first one was broken down and we had to use the challenge lift. other than that i think its a waste and they should spend ther money on other things until it really is needed. i think we are taking for granted how quickly we can get up that mountain on a regular basis because we all start bitching when we have to wait for a few minutes..

if we need anything... its people that know how to get on and off a lift. if that would happen that waiting time would be reduced drastically.

I don't know. If they put their money into expanding the mountain, they'd have to advertise about it. They would advertise about it, to pay off the debt of expansion. Then more people would come, and it'd be even worse (the lift line situation). I think it would make more sense to put in a quad where the challenge chair is first. That way, they'll be ready to handle more people when they do expand. Also, when/if they expand after that, they could always install the challenge chair somewhere else, to get even more uphill capacity.

the one thing i have yet to try that i am interested in is the fried oreos. anybody try em yet?

I have had fried Oreos, but not at Blue. My roommate and I were at Drinkers Pub in Philadelphia and they had fried Snickers, 3 Musketeers, Oreos, and Twinkies. We couldn't help ourselves and had to order the oreos and twinkies. The twinkies were ok, but the fried oreos were unreal! :rock

Fried candybars/cookies have to be the ultimate white trash food. :wiggle