What are the Chances of Nov 9 Again?

Remember 07-08 when they opened Nov. 9 and stayed open, adding a second trail right before thanksgiving? Anyone think that will ever happen again, or was that the perfect combination of weather, economics (before the recession), and a company's need for marketing at a new mountain? I'll root for it every year. I'll also root for Camelback not to be retarded and not open that weekend after thanksgiving if they have the chance. They missed out on alot of revenue there...

• 3 months later...

I'm pretty sure my first day has been black friday the last 2 winters, so I'm hoping for that again. I'd almost expect that unless it is an unusually warm November, but based on this year so far I have high hopes it won't be.

Economically, yea it's a down year but from what I've heard most companies think last year was the worst and by the time ski season is in full force in Jan/Feb/March it should be a hell of a lot better than last year.

Plus, you have to make that snow whether you make it early or you make it later. Some of it will melt off for sure but if they beat every other mountain by 2 or 3 weeks they will have a lot of tickets sold in that time. It was packed up there both years they opened before everyone else.

They really only make snow on 1-3 trails + tubing. Even if it all melts in the 1st week of december that isn't nearly as bad as when they make snow across the whole mountain for chrismas week and then the 1st week of January there is a nasty thaw - which happens about every other year anyway.

GSS is right though, tiny chance of beating Nov 9. Nov 9th 2007 was a Friday, the equivalent this year is Nov 7th. I really doubt that. The 13th maybe 20%, 20th slightly higher if it is super cold so 30%, but probably 80% by the 27th. They really can make some money that weekend if they have some trails open and everybody is off from school/work & home from college.

Though if I remember correctly, wasn't Camelback open for black friday last year? I went up there for a day with like 3 trails open and ran into a bunch of people from high school, all of which go to different colleges but we were all home on break so it was either thanksgiving or christmas.

I'm pretty sure my first day has been black friday the last 2 winters, so I'm hoping for that again. I'd almost expect that unless it is an unusually warm November, but based on this year so far I have high hopes it won't be.

/quote]

if temperatures trend the way they currently are, i think there's a very good shot at opening the weekend before thanksgiving. from what i have been reading, they are saying cooler than normal october, which i hope = cooler than normal november.

i like your numbers, but i will say 90% by november 27th. i think a really early november opening is unlikely, that just seems like something that might not happen again for some time to come.

No, I posted this before... Camelback opened with a hike park (tow rope in park maybe?) then, not with downhill lift serviced boarding... They could have but "decided it was best" not to... Seems real funny since a significant thaw didn't hit till mid december... missed out on some money there...

I am not shure about jack frost opening earley this year but

Big Bulder i am hopeing they will open on november 9th!

I just got my season pass last year and i am looking forward

to useing it alot this year!

Lets hope JFBB opens earley this year!

I am not shure about jack frost opening earley this year but

Big Bulder i am hopeing they will open on november 9th!

I just got my season pass last year and i am looking forward

to useing it alot this year!

Lets hope JFBB opens earley this year!

We're talking about about Boulder when we say JFBB. JF won't open until December really no matter what the weather is. They roll out Boulder first.

• 2 weeks later...

We're talking about about Boulder when we say JFBB. JF won't open until December really no matter what the weather is. They roll out Boulder first.

Yep. Boulder is easier to open...

Either way, I am looking forward to BB opening earlier. I don't think I can go much more than another month. At least next year we'll have Xanadu Meadowlands for riding in July :D