Half pipe lift!

Freeski919

So I'd like to see Blue put in a tow lift that will service the halfpipe. I've been at mountains that do that, and its so sweet. You can just session the pipe for hours, and get in dozens of runs on it. As it is, you have the halfpipe just sit there empty 99% of the time because its such a pain to hit it without hiking. If they want to get better use out of that prime piece of real estate, they need a lift there. It'll take 30-50 people out of sidewinder at any given time, too. Honestly, all they have to do is move the old snowboard school tow rope over to the halfpipe. It would be too simple, and it would make such a huge difference.

So I'd like to see Blue put in a tow lift that will service the halfpipe. I've been at mountains that do that, and its so sweet. You can just session the pipe for hours, and get in dozens of runs on it. As it is, you have the halfpipe just sit there empty 99% of the time because its such a pain to hit it without hiking. If they want to get better use out of that prime piece of real estate, they need a lift there. It'll take 30-50 people out of sidewinder at any given time, too. Honestly, all they have to do is move the old snowboard school tow rope over to the halfpipe. It would be too simple, and it would make such a huge difference.

Great idea except the pipe doesn't get used because it sucks! They should just get rid of the pipe and make that Lower Sidewinder Park and open the existing lower park to regular traffic. This would also help the cluster fuck on Home Stretch and help the cross traffic problem coming from Main Street.

Edited by First Grade Teacher

Great idea except the pipe doesn't get used because it sucks! They should just get rid of the pipe and make that Lower Sidewinder Park and open the existing lower park to regular traffic. This would also help the cluster fuck on Home Stretch and help the cross traffic problem coming from Main Street.

True, the pipe does suck. However, its a self feeding cycle. One of the reasons it sucks is because it never gets used. When a pipe gets used, it needs to be cut more often, and using it creates a more even surface than an unused pipe. If it gets cut more often, the guys who cut it might actually learn what they're doing, and get better at it. In any case, they're not going to get rid of the pipe. Its a marketing tool. They can say they have a 400 foot pipe, even if it sucks and doesn't get used. So rather than have it suck and have it in a spot where it doesn't get used, at least set it up so it can get some use. As far as that traffic issue, the easy solution is to move the jib park over to the old snowboard school slope (lower paradise now), and open up terrain run as a regular trail.

True, the pipe does suck. However, its a self feeding cycle. One of the reasons it sucks is because it never gets used. When a pipe gets used, it needs to be cut more often, and using it creates a more even surface than an unused pipe. If it gets cut more often, the guys who cut it might actually learn what they're doing, and get better at it. In any case, they're not going to get rid of the pipe. Its a marketing tool. They can say they have a 400 foot pipe, even if it sucks and doesn't get used. So rather than have it suck and have it in a spot where it doesn't get used, at least set it up so it can get some use. As far as that traffic issue, the easy solution is to move the jib park over to the old snowboard school slope (lower paradise now), and open up terrain run as a regular trail.

you're spoiled coming from okemo... but in all honesty, on the rare occasion they actually cut the pipe, its not that bad. its better than bear's ever was. they just need to cut it a lot more frequently since it gets wrecked from all the freeze/thaw cycles we get where one side will be slush and the other is solid ice.

you're spoiled coming from okemo... but in all honesty, on the rare occasion they actually cut the pipe, its not that bad. its better than bear's ever was. they just need to cut it a lot more frequently since it gets wrecked from all the freeze/thaw cycles we get where one side will be slush and the other is solid ice.

The slush/ice thing is a problem with every pipe. Even breck's was like that last season (and they probably have one of the best pipes in the US), it's unavoidable since the sun will almost always hit one wall and not the other.

From what I can remember two seasons ago, blue's pipe was actually pretty sick. I thought it was fun on the few days of the season we were actually able to have a good session on it. I don't think we'll ever see a rope tow though...and if you're coming from lower sidewinder, I don't see how it's hard to get to it really, it's been a while so maybe I'm just forgetting. They just need to cut it daily and it'll be sick. Probably the worst thing about it was the bumps that form at the flat bottom from people skiing straight through it.

i agree, as much as i like to ski the pipe right after one of the 2 days a year that they cut it...

Rather than fuck with the pipe,Blue should learn how to make better snow...then learn how to groom it better.

true. but their snow quality from january to middle of february was perfect. once the temps start to get aabove freezing for the majority of he day they suck at making snow. once they learn to blow snow better at warmer temps it will be 10x better.

Bingo. Unless they start cutting the pipe daily, or atleast every few days. Putting in the tow is a waste, since it is only good for a short period of time through out the year.

Honestly, the pipe at okemo is pretty good, and it's not because they cut it all the time. When I was there, they would only cut it once every couple weeks. It was just that the pipe would get tons of use. So a lot of the shaping of the pipe would happen from the use of it, rather than just the random thaw/freeze cycles. A bump on the wall can't form if its getting skied over dozens of times. And if there's a bunch of people actually using the pipe, it'll cut down on the gapers skiing straight through it. And yeah, you can access the pipe from lower sidewinder. But then you have to take the six pack and go all the way back to the top to do it again. If you have a tow lift, you can just session the pipe.

there was a week or two last year when it was really nice - i skiid it quite a bit and felt like i was getting real exit/re-entry off the lip (if not than pretty close!) than it went to sh!t. they definately did a much better job cutting it last year, i think because they cut it much tighter to begin with and subsequent cuts didn't screw up the tranny. a little snowmaking would go a long way to preserve the condition. its definately way under utilized because of the (bad) shape it gets in, i just don't know if theres enough riders/skiers who actually ride pipe to warrant its own tow though...

there was a week or two last year when it was really nice - i skiid it quite a bit and felt like i was getting real exit/re-entry off the lip (if not than pretty close!) than it went to sh!t. they definately did a much better job cutting it last year, i think because they cut it much tighter to begin with and subsequent cuts didn't screw up the tranny. a little snowmaking would go a long way to preserve the condition. its definately way under utilized because of the (bad) shape it gets in, i just don't know if theres enough riders/skiers who actually ride pipe to warrant its own tow though...

it's not about how many skiers or riders ride pipe. It's about how many *think* they ride pipe. Lol. Anyways, it's a chicken or egg type of argument.

Bingo. Unless they start cutting the pipe daily, or atleast every few days. Putting in the tow is a waste, since it is only good for a short period of time through out the year.

Well, assuming they were to actually maintain the pipe well, the tow wouldn't be much of a waste, even if it were only used a few days a year. A couple hundred foot handle tow, is cheap. Even with installation, it's probably less than the cost of one of the Polecats/Wizzards.

Edited by millerm277

Well, assuming they were to actually maintain the pipe well, the tow wouldn't be much of a waste, even if it were only used a few days a year. A couple hundred foot handle tow, is cheap. Even with installation, it's probably less than the cost of one of the Polecats/Wizzards.

that's the other thing. They don't even have to buy a new paddle tow. They've got one sitting over on lower paradise, that they used to use for the snowboard school. They're not even using it, they would just have to move it.

Honestly, the pipe at okemo is pretty good, and it's not because they cut it all the time. When I was there, they would only cut it once every couple weeks. It was just that the pipe would get tons of use. So a lot of the shaping of the pipe would happen from the use of it, rather than just the random thaw/freeze cycles. A bump on the wall can't form if its getting skied over dozens of times. And if there's a bunch of people actually using the pipe, it'll cut down on the gapers skiing straight through it. And yeah, you can access the pipe from lower sidewinder. But then you have to take the six pack and go all the way back to the top to do it again. If you have a tow lift, you can just session the pipe.

The thing with a lot of use is everybody(newbs/inexperienced pipe riders) likes to take the same line and then it gets rutted out.

Half pipe doesn't have the draw it used to since parks have really taken off IMO.Is it really that hard to walk back up the pipe?

Is it really that hard to walk back up the pipe?

yes. if you really want to work on something, you're hiking it over and over. just like a rail when you're working on a trick, you're hiking it 10-20 times, and hiking the whole distance of the pipe that many times blows. i would definitely ride pipe a lot more if blue had a surface lift for it.

yes. if you really want to work on something, you're hiking it over and over. just like a rail when you're working on a trick, you're hiking it 10-20 times, and hiking the whole distance of the pipe that many times blows. i would definitely ride pipe a lot more if blue had a surface lift for it.

Hiking it will only make you stronger.

I can understand that when it's good, you want to hit it hard and often...but it only takes a few minutes to get in the VIP line, ride back up and get back to the pipe.

I don't ski the pipe, so I'll freely admit I don't really care either way.

LOL..paying all that money for a lift ticket and then having to hike is wack...hiking will make you tired and more prone to injury,..

I guess hiking four hundred feet or so is a long way for some people.But back on topic,I really think Blue has bigger issues to deal with than putting a paddle tow at the pipe.

Edited by Mixilplix

Like what???

Making better snow

Learning to groom better

Condition of the lower lot(trash,etc).

The upper lodge reminds me of a ghetto bus terminal

I am sure there are days when they do have nice snow and grooming,but the past couple of years that I have gone there the conditions were marginal..That being said there is some good there..vert,easy lift access from the lower lot,ticket scan..

It just doesn't seem like there putting a whole lot back into the mountain.There is a lot of potential at Blue,but it would not be my first choice as a local mountain.But thats just me.