THANK GOD!

snorovr

So rumor has it Blue is going to have roving instructors that keep an eye out for people needing some pointers. They will approach these folks and offer them vouchers for a free lesson. I haven't heard of a better idea for the skiing scene in Pennsylvania. Ever...

Edited by T*Maki

I can see this insulting a bunch of people.

Maybe not.

This may actually be a good thing.

I can't count how many people I witnessed pound the snot out of themselves again and again and

after a few Tazmanian devil spinouts and close calls cutting me off I asked them politely if

they ever had lessons and do they think they need help.

9 times out of 10 they replied that they never had a lesson AND COULD NOT AFFORD TO PAY for

a lesson so they just resolved to break bones or walk off the hill.

Then I offer to teach them how to snowboard and give a 15 minute beginner lesson.

Better I teach them to stop and turn in control instead of them bombing the hill and

blast me with an uncontrolled fall and turn.

Out of my 50 days on the snow I probably teach no less than 10 free lessons each winter.

Honestly I've never had a lesson and it shows. I have gotten pointers though from my husband and the boys that helped but really I should work with a professional. I'm only concerned that a crappy Blue instructor may not be able to work around my mobility issues from my surgeries. I'd hate to waste the time on the hill and money.

I like the idea of offering a free lesson. If it helps Blue sign them up for more than the free lesson, great. If not, I feel like people will leave Blue with a good impression. If a mountain took the time and resources to help me enjoy skiing more, I would appreciate it and want to go back. Honestly, when you look at out of control skiiers, they do NOT look like they are having fun. I should totally go to Blue and get a lesson--I keep on meaning to take one.

Honestly I've never had a lesson and it shows. I have gotten pointers though from my husband and the boys that helped but really I should work with a professional. I'm only concerned that a crappy Blue instructor may not be able to work around my mobility issues from my surgeries. I'd hate to waste the time on the hill and money.

Definitely not a waste. If you go to the desk and ask for an experienced instructor and talk about your concerns they'll put you in the proper lesson. Blue has some fantastic instructors and the director of the Snowsports School is very adamant that employees do everything they can to become certified in PSIA. If you want to work with one of the best woman instructor's in the Northeast, request a private lesson with Tina Buckley. Its definitely an investment, but I think you'd find it well worth it in my opinion. She is a Level III PSIA instructor and also has PSIA specialties in several areas. Also, Eric Lipton is up at Blue quite a bit and is employed there as an instructor. He made the PSIA National Team last year (extremely hard to do). Skiing-wise, Blue is definitely stacked when it comes to quality/very high level instructors.

Doug if you have any negative comments directed to anyone specifically that I've named or their family please feel free to keep them to yourself or enjoy a ban for the rest of the week. Try me...

If you go to the desk and ask for an experienced instructor and talk about your concerns they'll put you in the proper lesson. Blue has some fantastic instructors and the director of the Snowsports School is very adamant that employees do everything they can to become certified in PSIA. Skiing-wise, Blue is definitely stacked when it comes to quality/very high level instructors.

Really? I've always been concerned that as a "special needs" skier most of the local instructors wouldn't be of much help. Maybe this year I'll go talk to someone and see. Thanks!

you've stepped on the wrong persons toes today and your PM was really douchy...seriously go join Team Malozzi...have fun on the hater side.,,Glenn got kicked off staff cause he;s a troll..this thread was a little bit trollish and you know it..

Get out of the kitchen man.

Blue is going to need to show a little tact when approaching people in this manner. Hopefully those sensitivity trainings will have paid off.

I thought the same thing, but I really don't think it will be that hard to do. Remember that what they are offering is FREE. I haven't had too many people react negatively when I've approached them and offered them something of value for free. Ultimately it is their choice, and if they don't want it then just move on to the next group.

oh yeah and I can't wait to turkey tuck by the roving instructors.. :nana

Or what I like to do is blaze down a trail waving my arms franticly and weaving all over the place "out of control" cracks me up..... I like to take in all of the funny motions noobie/gaper boarders throw into boarding and i like to put it into my "own" concoction.....I just don't have a name for it yet.

Edited by Nidecker25

Really? I've always been concerned that as a "special needs" skier most of the local instructors wouldn't be of much help.

You would be real surprised at the levels some of these instructors train for teaching special needs skiers.

JFBB has an adaptive program that teaches blind people and amputees.

It all boils down to finding the right level of instruction for you.

The brand new out of control bomber that is going to be a stain on a tree

and a medovac lifeflight is going to need no more than basic training for stopping, turning, and speed control.

The intermediate skiers are the ones that need analysis and matching up with the right instructor.

There are lots of instructors that just push through the motions and others who

take the time to figure out how to best teach you.

Its a real crap shoot to get the right instructor for you so ask a lot of questions

at ski school before you are assigned your instructor and the right match could happen.

TAKE A PRIVATE LESSON

If you only can ski when its crowded and end up with group lessons you may find

your instructor really isn't paying enough attention to you.

I've taught groups of 20 kids at a time and it was really grueling work.

Not every instructor will put in that effort for $6 an hour.

Spend the extra $75 on a private lesson and TIP the instructor $50 after the lesson if

you survive the lesson totally uninjured.

A good instructor will not put you in harms way and will teach you how to ski in control

within your abilities.

The private instructors DO NOT GET PAID that $75 you pay ski school for a private lesson.

They get paid minimum wages and live on tips. Its like a fancy resteraunt.

You pay a lot for a meal and the waiter does the running around for peanuts and lives on tips.

But a ski instructor is not serving you food.

Your ski instructor is teaching you how to not get killed on a slope of ice.

Your life should be worth more than your beers.

Think about it like this:

You spend a high dollar amount to learn how to have fun FIRST

then

since you learned how to not get hurt you get to come back again and again and again

for the rest of your life.

OR

you could do what too many people do.

You can get in on some cheap ski trip and crash and burn and get killed or maimed

and never actually learn how to enjoy snow sports.

If you get hurt when you ski you will be paying for it big time the rest of your life.

One Medovac lifeflight can cost you $10,000.

But forget the money cost.

Limping the rest of your life is what I'm talking about here.

You should be able to wake up the day after you went skiing without

having any aches or pains anywhere in your body.

TAKE A PRIVATE LESSON

You can thank me later.

I hope the roving instructors teach all the park rats how to ski.

I'm really never on any other trail other than Sidewinder unless I am going for a Top Speed run down Lazy or Main St, and "other" Park Rats can vouch for themselves that Sidewinder is where they spend almost all their time also. If Roving Instructors are on Sidewinder I would LOVE for them to show me how to throw a Backside Method 540 hihi.gif

Edited by Nidecker25

You would be real surprised at the levels some of these instructors train for teaching special needs skiers.

JFBB has an adaptive program that teaches blind people and amputees.

It all boils down to finding the right level of instruction for you.

The brand new out of control bomber that is going to be a stain on a tree

and a medovac lifeflight is going to need no more than basic training for stopping, turning, and speed control.

The intermediate skiers are the ones that need analysis and matching up with the right instructor.

There are lots of instructors that just push through the motions and others who

take the time to figure out how to best teach you.

Its a real crap shoot to get the right instructor for you so ask a lot of questions

at ski school before you are assigned your instructor and the right match could happen.

TAKE A PRIVATE LESSON

If you only can ski when its crowded and end up with group lessons you may find

your instructor really isn't paying enough attention to you.

I've taught groups of 20 kids at a time and it was really grueling work.

Not every instructor will put in that effort for $6 an hour.

Spend the extra $75 on a private lesson and TIP the instructor $50 after the lesson if

you survive the lesson totally uninjured.

A good instructor will not put you in harms way and will teach you how to ski in control

within your abilities.

The private instructors DO NOT GET PAID that $75 you pay ski school for a private lesson.

They get paid minimum wages and live on tips. Its like a fancy resteraunt.

You pay a lot for a meal and the waiter does the running around for peanuts and lives on tips.

But a ski instructor is not serving you food.

Your ski instructor is teaching you how to not get killed on a slope of ice.

Your life should be worth more than your beers.

Think about it like this:

You spend a high dollar amount to learn how to have fun FIRST

then

since you learned how to not get hurt you get to come back again and again and again

for the rest of your life.

OR

you could do what too many people do.

You can get in on some cheap ski trip and crash and burn and get killed or maimed

and never actually learn how to enjoy snow sports.

If you get hurt when you ski you will be paying for it big time the rest of your life.

One Medovac lifeflight can cost you $10,000.

But forget the money cost.

Limping the rest of your life is what I'm talking about here.

You should be able to wake up the day after you went skiing without

having any aches or pains anywhere in your body.

TAKE A PRIVATE LESSON

You can thank me later.

Excellent quote

I'm really never on any other trail other than Sidewinder unless I am going for a Top Speed run down Lazy or Main St, and "other" Park Rats can vouch for themselves that Sidewinder is where they spend almost all their time also. If Roving Instructors are on Sidewinder I would LOVE for them to show me how to throw a Backside Method 540 hihi.gif

Exactly my point. PSIA certified doesn't mean shit, BTW. I've seen the instructors at Blue work on their tandem synchronized skiing down Challenge at Blue. I hope they teach them that during their certifcations.

And BTW R2,a MedEvac is going to run you way more then $10k from Blue to LVH :bimmer