Denton

skifreak

"Top alpinists these days work toward first descents of pitches in the low to mid-60 degrees. Steeper than that and it?s pretty much a freefall. In fact, snow?s ?angle of repose,? where snow can no longer stick to the slope, is at around 75 degrees."

from: http://www.sportsguidemag.com/archive/Jan0...res-chuteme.asp

Mont Blanc, Grand Teton, and Ski Denton. I wish it were true.

Nice shot Atomic. Yes I cannot imagine another PA slope being much steeper if at all steeper than WL.

I didn't take it, Wolverine did, but yea, WL is insane. I've said it plenty of times in the past, if only it had grippy snow when I was there. I sooo wanted to rip a big arc down it :angry:

• 3 months later...

well your science teacher was right... I live about 20 minutes nort of there in Wellsvile and well thats basically all it is is hicks, and Avalanche and Extreme are the hardest mofos I've ever been on, that picture is what Avalanche looks like, it's always ice because people just snowplow down it, definitally not an easy trail

• 4 months later...

I skied Denton a lot while in College, and I can report, it's got some steep stuff, but definetly not the steepest in the east. Steepest in PA maybe, it's much steeper than White Lighting. My girlfriend skied White Lighting in her first season on skis.

Imagine WL with trees on it... And steeper.

If you want real steep stuff look to Jay Peak, Stowe or Smuggs.

I'm sure one of them can claim the steepest in the east.

I skied Denton a lot while in College, and I can report, it's got some steep stuff, but definetly not the steepest in the east. Steepest in PA maybe, it's much steeper than White Lighting. My girlfriend skied White Lighting in her first season on skis.

Imagine WL with trees on it... And steeper.

If you want real steep stuff look to Jay Peak, Stowe or Smuggs.

I'm sure one of them can claim the steepest in the east.

Your GF made it down WL as a beginner? That's amazing. I don't think I've ever seen a new skier survive the headwall; we sometimes stop at the bottom and watch school groups that we pass at the top. Usually pretty funny stuff.

Your GF made it down WL as a beginner? That's amazing. I don't think I've ever seen a new skier survive the headwall; we sometimes stop at the bottom and watch school groups that we pass at the top. Usually pretty funny stuff.

That is always a good time. I like going down the long straight away of WL and pulling a 180 and skiing past them switch , it scares them to death to see a person fly by them switch 10 feet from moguls.

Never underestimate the side step ;)

Hmmmm...side slipping WL? If conditions are perfect, I guess. But they usually are lazy about grooming it and a lot of the time it gets Volkswagon-size bumps. Picture Outer Limits at KMart, but with icy troughs and no rhythm to the bumps. You see a lot of crying teenage girls on Wednesday nights, skis clutched to their chests, slidding on their butts trying to dig their heels in...

That is always a good time. I like going down the long straight away of WL and pulling a 180 and skiing past them switch , it scares them to death to see a person fly by them switch 10 feet from moguls.

:D

Hmmmm...side slipping WL? If conditions are perfect, I guess. But they usually are lazy about grooming it and a lot of the time it gets Volkswagon-size bumps. Picture Outer Limits at KMart, but with icy troughs and no rhythm to the bumps. You see a lot of crying teenage girls on Wednesday nights, skis clutched to their chests, slidding on their butts trying to dig their heels in...

:D

Yeah, there was no side slipping done by the wifey. She can link turns with the best of them. She just didn't find it to be all that challenging. I also taught her to ski bumps the right way, before she had a chance to learn how to ski them the wrong way. It's a fun run, but I wouldn't go as far to say it's overly steep.

She must be bored to death at Greek Peak if she was bumping her way down WL as a newbie.

EDIT: wait are you just a troll? No offense and I hope I'm not jumping to conclusions, but there's no way a newbie skis WL in it's bumped-up state and "doesn't find it challenging". That's just some troll thing to say.

Edited by ski999

She must be bored to death at Greek Peak if she was bumping her way down WL as a newbie.

Greek isn't bad. There's a ton of terrain to keep any true skier occupied. This year I hope to get her to duck into the trees with me, and get her dropping some cliffs. Teaching her to ski was a lot of fun for me as well. While I taught her to ski forward, I got to work on skiing fakie. It was good for everyone involved.

Come up to Greek, and I'll show you where the good stuff is!

EDIT: wait are you just a troll? No offense and I hope I'm not jumping to conclusions, but there's no way a newbie skis WL in it's bumped-up state and "doesn't find it challenging". That's just some troll thing to say.

I think it's time for some of the blue rasberry stuff you have :lol:

Anyway, you can't deny that WL is steep for PA. When I came over the highwall, I stopped and my mouth dropped in awe. Granted, I have skiied Devil's Fiddle and Outer Limits, but for PA, I was impressed! It wasn't exactly rippable, because of so many people scraping all the good snow off, but man, it was fun. I was trying to rip down the edge (Ski999 thought I was going to go off into the trees) but 1/2 way down, it was time to just let it go and fly straight down :D Boomer at Montage is one of my favorite runs in the Poconos....

Yeah, there was no side slipping done by the wifey. She can link turns with the best of them. She just didn't find it to be all that challenging. I also taught her to ski bumps the right way, before she had a chance to learn how to ski them the wrong way. It's a fun run, but I wouldn't go as far to say it's overly steep.

I dont know about you skiers...but personally, as a boarder i find white much easier with bumps on it. Mainly because when there isn't bumps you have to rip down it due to the poor conditions. At one point last year i tried carving and my edges were so dull it was doing me no good so i just went straight down ( not from the top ) but that dip at the bottom was killer, it popped me back into a manual with the nose over my head...i don't know how i didn't eat it on that.

Greek isn't bad. There's a ton of terrain to keep any true skier occupied. This year I hope to get her to duck into the trees with me, and get her dropping some cliffs. Teaching her to ski was a lot of fun for me as well. While I taught her to ski forward, I got to work on skiing fakie. It was good for everyone involved.

Come up to Greek, and I'll show you where the good stuff is!

I love Greek peak!!! its like my third home but we arn't going up as much as we usually do this coming winter :(

No thanks...been there a few times. I'll only go back with Zonked as my tour guide.

I know every trail like the back of my hand..I hope you can keep up if I'm the tour guide