Crowds Dec 28th-30th?

millerm277

Title pretty much says it all, I decided I don't really feel like driving the extra hour to Hunter this week...so GSS or anyone else, any ideas on if there will be much in crowds? I haven't skied Blue on weekends/holidays in a couple seasons, so I wasn't sure.

I'm think the 29th (Tuesday), is probably the most likely.

Oh, and have they started making snow on Switchback yet?

I will be up in the morning 12/28 between 8:00 - 8:30 until around 11, maybe noon at the latest depending on the crowds. I will be wearing blue paints with blue and orange jacket and blue helmet. My name is Kyle, give me a shout if you see me!

Well my bad, anyways.... Conditions at blue today weren't the best. A lot of man made snow, got pretty crowded around noon when the sun was out, around 3 pm the base layer of snow was ice with the man made snow piled into moguls which wasn't too fun. Park was solid for a little bit, then became rutted out but park crue came to the rescue and fixed things up a bit. The run in for the jump didn't seem to work earlier, but I was hitting it around 1:30 and it was perfect from the top where the pipe use to start.

Crowds were non-existent until around 10:30, then kragan and I moved over to the Quad. Lines were getting pretty rough around 11:30 and they were doing a terrible job grouping people into 6's because she wasn't wielding the broken ski pole.

I wasn't too big of a fan of the snow today. It ended up being 4-6 inches of sugar on top of rock solid ice. It was like riding in a Slushee cup. I unfortunately didn't get a chance to get off the Vista/Burma part of the mountain. And the crowds there were absolutely insane. Lift lines were surprisingly manageable from what I saw (although skipping lines with my class skews my perspective of lift lines).

Seems a bit windy to ski today, how is it in the Blue area before I head up?

TOO WINDY? What's too windy? What wind speed do you draw the limit at to declare its TOO windy to ski?

IT IS VERY WINDY TODAY. Constant 20 MPH wind with 35 mph gusts.

ITs 18 degrees now with todays high to be 24 degrees.

The wind chill now is minus 2.

So dress like an astronaut kiddies and go ski.

Seems a bit windy to ski today, how is it in the Blue area before I head up?

if it's windy at home, it'll be windier at blue. as far as park riding is concerned though, wind won't really be an issue right now cause the only jump worth hitting is at the bottom of the mountain where wind isn't really a factor. i wish they put that extra paddle tow in between lower park and central park so you could just session that jump