Burning snow...

Ski

A reason not to eat the snow...

I believe it's mostly the big Areco snow guns that are the worst at adding oil to snow. We rely on five of them here at the Hideout and once we get warm temps, a coating of oil is left at the surface. One side of the run is okay, but the side that the guns are run from is crazy. I took a run down it yesterday and even the topsheets of my skis turned black. It also happened late last year at a Tanglwood race, but nowhere near as bad as this was.

Anyway, a maintenance guy loaned me his lighter for a little test. And, yes, you can actually set a ski slope on fire.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe it's mostly the big Areco snow guns that are the worst at adding oil to snow. We rely on five of them here at the Hideout and once we get warm temps, a coating of oil is left at the surface. One side of the run is okay, but the side that the guns are run from is crazy. I took a run down it yesterday and even the topsheets of my skis turned black. It also happened late last year at a Tanglwood race, but nowhere near as bad as this was.

Anyway, a maintenance guy loaned me his lighter for a little test. And, yes, you can actually set a ski slope on fire.

:lol::lol: that would be pretty funny to ski. Sad, but funny.

That would be a really cool way to end a season. Do a last run down a runway of fire! Evil Kneviel on Skis!! :P

I think I read that in one of the last James Bond movies they set a boarder on fire as part of a chase scene. Something went wrong and he was killed, so they changed the scene to a burning skier for the final cut. Apparently boarders burn easier than skiers.

'

x=5/14  (.357)

it's been awhile.  am i right?

Nope :P

You were on the right track but there is no equation to start with. So you can't all of a sudden make an equation and move things to the other side fo the equation. All you can do is simplify. My best answer (keeping in mind the question was rather vague) is

14x - 5

Nope :P

You were on the right track but there is no equation to start with. So you can't all of a sudden make an equation and move things to the other side fo the equation. All you can do is simplify. My best answer (keeping in mind the question was rather vague) is

14x - 5

ahh that's right, duh....well i set it to = 0 :P

Ok mr. smarty pants....

A 10.00mL sample of sulfuric acid from an automobile battery requires 35.08mL of 2.12 M sodium hydroxide for complete neutralization. What is the molarity of the sulfuric acid? If the density of the above solution is 1.12g/cm3, what would be the freezing point of the solution?

Skiers? Snowboarders?

Ok mr. smarty pants....

A 10.00mL sample of sulfuric acid from an automobile battery requires 35.08mL of 2.12 M sodium hydroxide for complete neutralization.  What is the molarity of the sulfuric acid?  If the density of the above solution is 1.12g/cm3, what would be the freezing point of the solution?

Skiers? Snowboarders?

Errr, gonna pass the torch on to someone who knows something about chemistry...

I believe it's mostly the big Areco snow guns that are the worst at adding oil to snow. We rely on five of them here at the Hideout and once we get warm temps, a coating of oil is left at the surface.

Ah ha!!! Now I know Ridge's secret!!! I always tell him to quit eating the snow, it dirty!!!! He tells me "but it tastes good" Now it all makes sense, the kid is petrol powered!! Gimme fuel, gimme fire, gimme that which I desire.. :rock:rock