snowfall totals

Jer

it has been an insane snowfall year here in the laurel highlands and i just wanted to see what other mountains around the state have gotten.

as of yesterday 7springs had 180 inches of natural and we got another 6+ over night and it is snowing out right now with 2-4 expected today. the long range forecast has snow just about everyday for the next 2 weeks and no temps above 35. our record is 208 inches and we are on par to crush that by a good bit.

so how are all the other areas in PA doing?

CO is having a pretty dry year, i do believe wester PA has had more natural snow than most of UT and CO so far this season.

just checked on vail's site and they have 176 for the season and a 46" base.

now if 7springs just had vail's terrain.

there is 4- 5 foot of natural on the ground everywhere around the ridge tops of the laurel highlands. the woods are for the first time i have ever seen honestly bottomless. im sure snowshoe has been good also as they have been getting much of the same storms we have.

I want to hit the shoe, but I have several trips to the north planned... My parents graduated from WVWU so they have a soft spot for Snowshoe. May get there in the next two weeks for a day or two if the weather holds, but overall, I really just want to hit some legit East Coast powder days on a season where some areas in which it is usually rare no longer is...

just checked on vail's site and they have 176 for the season and a 46" base.

now if 7springs just had vail's terrain.

Interesting. Just checked Whitefish's stats. I think we are having a lousy year as well here. And they say 151" to date with a 78" base (summit). And we don't have boulders to cover. Even the base area supposedly has a 54" base. The biggest problem here has been day after day of FOG. And I mean really dense stuff, not the 4 chair stuff, this is the one chair stuff. Today was the first day in a long time you could actually see.

Springs has just been getting nuked. Got to ski there this year for the first time and it was awesome. Skied with some kids whose mom runs some of the events for Willies ski shops. They were doing double stagers back in the woods. Soo funny. I've been out to Pittsburgh area since December about five times and will be again next weekend. Somerset exit on the turnpike has had snow every single time I've been out there. Crazy... Should slow down now that Erie is frozen but we'll see.

word springs has gotten hammered all year! the spot has been incredible and the trees are by far the deepest ive ever ridden in pennsylvania. some crazy shit all this snow and its awesome. it was sunny and warm today an hour north of pittsburgh and I roll over to springs and its cold and snowing some more, reminds me of a snow globe. hello april riding!

we have been open for spring session through late april the past two years and this season looks like we should be turning lifts til sometime into april and maybe spring sessions into may! hope the snow keeps falling.

oh and check the other thread i started today for a new edit from 7springs.

Edited by Jer

we worked the jumps all day and tomorrow is practice for the girls. they will be finished after they say that the course works good. take offs are bigger and better than before and lengths are similar but a little bigger, 40, 50, 65 ish. did not have a chance to measure tonight. ill let you know once we get the numbers. the course should be open to the public sunday sometime.

Interesting. Just checked Whitefish's stats. I think we are having a lousy year as well here. And they say 151" to date with a 78" base (summit). And we don't have boulders to cover. Even the base area supposedly has a 54" base. The biggest problem here has been day after day of FOG. And I mean really dense stuff, not the 4 chair stuff, this is the one chair stuff. Today was the first day in a long time you could actually see.

151 ytd with a 78" base

LAWLZ...

Just to illustrate, we don't need falling snow to "grow" a base. Here is a picture of rime forming over the groomed run. The same thing that forms our "snow ghosts", also forms on groomed runs.

Rime on groomed run:rime.jpg

Snowghosts and rime all over everything:

image006.jpg