TR 4/3/10 The Tale of Two Summits

DiMe

So I started off a little later than expected today and arrived at Big Boulder at 11:15, gave Phillycore a ring and met him, JFSkiDan, and PA Ridge Racer. The snow coverage was amazing, way better than I expected! We ended getting split up each run but kept bumping into each other at the top or bottom of the lift. I think Dan and Ride Racer took off shortly afterwords so I took a couple runs with Phillycore & then I think he ended up taking off. I seen Toast in the distance lapping Boulder Park and I believe KT KILLING it on the big booters. I didn't stay much longer only until about 1 and left. It was pretty crowded and there were only a few jibs I felt like playing on so I mostly lapped Mittl Weg. Props to Big Boulder for staying open top to bottom, if I wasn't going to be in Stowe next weekend if they opened I surely would return.

Mittl Weg/Bunny Schuss interestion

IMG_0295.JPG

Boulder Park

IMG_0296.JPG

As I was coming down I-80 I seen Camelback in the distance and thought what the hell I have a pass and it's on my way home I might as well stop by. I pulled into Camelback and their were less than half the amount of people that were at Big Boulder. Coverage was really thin, they lost a ton of snow since last weekend and the park setup was pretty lame. They were doing a corrugated distance jib contest for anyone who wanted to hit it and if you cleared it I believe they were giving away a longboard. I took a couple runs through the park and didn't feel satisfied with my day yet so I decided to hike it up to the top and see what I could find. It took me quite awhile as I'm not in the greatest of shape and took a few breaks along the way. I headed left of the Glenn chair towards Near East up through a secret woods run and onto Julius Caesar up through the woods onto Little Caesar and onto the top of the Stevenson. I found about $3 in coins along my way!

Beautiful view riding up the Glenn Lift :naughty

IMG_0297.JPG

Julius Caesar

IMG_0299.JPG

Julius Caesar

IMG_0301.JPG

I see an opening!

IMG_0302.JPG

Made it!

IMG_0306.JPG

Little Caesar

IMG_0310.JPG

Visiting Steve

IMG_0316.JPG

IMG_0318.JPG

Cliffhanger lookin super thin from the top

IMG_0321.JPG

Nile mile, my chosen run.

IMG_0323.JPG

Who said you can't ride on grass?

The End.

IMG_0332.JPG

Anyway you slice it or dice it today was JADIP :rock

Edited by DiMeThIcOnE
  • Like 1

hiking rules. the amount of snow at boulder looks sick. i cant imagine how much they would have if those huge rain storms never showed.

edit: with those huge piles for the jumps on boulder park, looks like they might be able to pull off a full run again for mayday (well, from the pics it looks that way at least)

Edited by turd ferg

Just to clarify biggrin.gif . Nice pictures

Oh your right, then I meant to say I was lapping Draufganger, I didn't want to walk over to Mittl Weg :)

That looks like Blue a month ago...in terms of base depth..May day is surely gonna be off the hinges..I have never skied in PA in May..probably gonna go on my calender.. :wiggle

Indeed, I'm pretty confident they will be able to do a lift serviced May Day. With the amount of snow on Boulder Park trail I'd imagine if they pushed those jumps it could still be fully covered in May.

Edited by DiMeThIcOnE

Dime...you had me crackin the hell up with that grass takeoff... I really hope that was a beater board, because it probably is now.

Poachin Nile Mile....love that shit man.

It is a beater board but actually it barely got scratched from the grass and rocks, they're so light they'll buff right out.

thats amazing that BB has so much more snow than CB. props for the CB hike dime!

5 degree temp difference really makes a big difference. Even during the middle of the winter, I can tell the difference in snow quality. CB seems to have a higher water content, which makes it heavier. It eventually also seems to melt off quicker (might also be due to the higher traffic at CB).

thats amazing that BB has so much more snow than CB. props for the CB hike dime!

Thanks! Ya BB is a much smaller mountain and their snow making system is PRIMO. Automated polecats line most of their trails and those suckers can really pump it out.

Edited by DiMeThIcOnE

• 13 years later...