Next Years Goals/Hit List

Ride Delaware ?

I was just sitting at the office getting a little bored, and realized like many others that the site is super dead in the summer, so I figured I would start the annual thread. I hit 29 in 08/09, 19 in 09/10, and I am aiming for 35 in 10/11. Work is starting to calm down a bit, and living in a resort community, business is as dead her in the winter as this board is in the summer. Hopefully this year will be the last year I have under 50 since we are looking at getting a possible condo somewhere up north (hopefully sooner than later, but it depends on how often we use it and how easily accessible it is). As for the hit list, this is what I've got... List is from most desired to if I get there I would be happy but definitely not disappointed if I didn't make it... Most of these I will probably try to gauge powder dumps and hit the road if work isn't busy... Try to model my trips after Moe...

Jay Peak

Saddleback

Sunday River

Magic

Stowe

Snowshoe

I have never been to Jay, Saddleback, or Stowe. Worst case I hope to make it to Stowe during the PASR annual retreat during mid-April. Best case I would like to make it in early March during pow season. Same for all 3 of them since I have heard they are all super epic during pow dumps. I have been to SR like 4 times before and love it. Great layout and terrain variety. I went to Magic this year during that epic February powder dump, but the snow was very wet and after the first run I had to bail to take a friend to the hospital... I would love to get back there for a day mid winter with some pow... Lastly is Snowshoe where I have been twice and learned to board nearly 10 years ago. Its not high on the priority list, but after the snow year they had this year, I wouldn't mind a powder day or two there.

Theres alot of smaller mountains I would swing by in the Northeast if I went near them or had the time, but these are the most important... If I have the cash I may be headed out to CO this year to Vail, Keystone, or Breck for 4-5 days, but thats only if I'm lucky since I'm going to Europe in September... Post away!!!

• Like 1

does anyone know of someone that has ever been the blue knob? i was curious of how it is and if it can be comparable to a northern or western resort on a conditions and terrain basis only... vertical is average for a pa ski mountain only 10 feet less than blue mt so that's nothing special, blue knob must have some nice conditions though. Hear they get on upwards of 130 inches of pow a season.... thats nuts for a pa ski area. I checked their site and they reported 162 inches for 09-10.

You'd probably have a better time in Jackson Hole with me, and my friend in Montana is off the disabled list..ski season is getting pretty close. I want to hit up Elk sometime this season on a weekday..maybe with Mr. Moe Ghoul..and also get back to Sno..oh yeah and Magic mountain as well which I've never been to. I also want to ski slower and actually make turns..

Unfinished biz from last year = Saddleback and Sugarloaf. More MRV trips, only made it there twice last season. Looks like Aspen area for CO. Haven't thought about other western trips yet. Pretty much the same eastern hills from last year, maybe Magic and Smuggs to mix it up. Definitely another winter camp n ski to kick off the season.

does anyone know of someone that has ever been the blue knob? i was curious of how it is and if it can be comparable to a northern or western resort on a conditions and terrain basis only... vertical is average for a pa ski mountain only 10 feet less than blue mt so that's nothing special, blue knob must have some nice conditions though. Hear they get on upwards of 130 inches of pow a season.... thats nuts for a pa ski area. I checked their site and they reported 162 inches for 09-10.

Well, I have to go back 30 years to comment, but I hear it hasn't changed much. Good mountain, but not much money spent on grooming or infrastructure. You get what you get.

Whitefish is in my plans...It's a La Nina year. Hopefully it means I'll actually get some tree skiing in.

I was there a few years ago and it is a cool mountain. Some tree runs and they have a little bowl type thing from what I remember. I was there when they did't have any new snow but it was still fun. The park was terrible last time I was there. I wouldn't compare it to Northern or Western resorts but it is cool for a PA resort. With some fresh snow it would be a blast. Lots of old slow lifts when I was there , don't know if that has changed. There were people building their own jumps and stuff on the side of the trails and ski patrol didn't seem to mind.

I'm definitely hoping that the season starts mid November... Two years ago I got some great boarding in the Mon-Wed before T-Day at Sunday River and Sugarloaf... 27 and 6 trails respectively... But I got a 24 in dump at the Loaf... I would love to make it up for some early season East Coast again...

Hmm... I wasn't sure if your were joking or not when you made that comment, but now I'm pretty sure you mean it... If you want to hit Elk sometime midweek just give me a week or two notice and I will try to arrange to come up there... I'm all about the rustic feel... Snow quality over run quantity... Unless its a sheet of ice, I'm just happy being on my plank...

Will do..I only hit Elk once back in 1995 and I just remember the lifts being uber slow..I have heard that they have some decent tree skiing.. :drool

I got to go to Elk on a couple powder days and there are some sick tree runs off the quad lift... Double Digiting? You posted more than 10 days there? Or are planning on it?

I had 11 days there last season. For all the years I've gone there I have yet to see ONE person tree skiing. Someone posted last season about the awesome tree skiing. I told him to post pix/video. He never returned. I call bullshit on that. The few lines I've seen near any trees amounted to 2-3 trees near the edge of a run or a few lame lines in the flats. Unless I actually see proof, again, I call bullshit. Ski Patrol is pretty tightass about going outta bounds. I poached a powder run under the double ONCE, and hightailed it to the midlodge because a patroller was riding up the lift as I was shin deep cutting the first line.

Edited by moeghoul

Well got up to Elk at about 11 a.m. There was about 5 or 6 inches on the ground already and conditions were great. Skied the diamonds over on the day side of the mountain all day. By about 3:00 p.m. there was about 9 inches on the ground and everything was excellent. Most of my day was spent in the woods over on the day side of the mountain. Hardly saw a ski patroller all day and hit so many fresh lines. Hit some sweet woods between Tioga and Tunkhanock from about 3-4 then hit some more woods between Iroquois and Delaware for out last run. Found some nice little cliffs and drops and over all had a really sick day. About 10 inches were on the ground already when I left at about 4 30 and they are calling for up to 18-20 inches total after tonight. Elk should be pristine tomorrow morning and I plan to be up there bright and early to get it while its fresh.

Snap off a few pics of the killer woods and cliff shots, we'd love to see that.

pics tomorrow for sure and i also plan on taking some POV vids of the woods tomorrow

Never to be seen or heard from again....................

Moe, I'll share where I went into the trees... I had no issues from ski patrollers since it is always so slow and they have very few patrollers working, especially midweek... From what I have seen, there are very skiable trees on the East (double lift) side aside from maybe the very small area beyond the terrain park between the Delaware and Lehigh trails... Most of the trees I have boarded were on the West (quad lift) side of the mountain... I would say that most of the trees I boarded were between the Lenape (19 on trail map) and the Wissahickon (18 on trail map). There is also a really cool little section up on the ridge between the Mahican (27) and Schuylkill (11). There is also a steeper (albeit smaller) more challenging section near the top between the Schuylkill (11) and Tioga (12). It drops in off the the right near the trail entrance and then crosses over into the Tioga. Hopefully we can coordinate next year and I can show you guys first hand if there is some powder on hand...

Moe - No pics (didn't take any), but I've skied in the woods at Elk off of the quad...

Hell I even ended up on someones driveway back in there as well one time and took it to their house or whatever, and high tailed it the hell out of there back through the woods (it got major flat back in there though).

No patrol issues, but didn't see any either. There's stuff back in there and it's fun as hell.

Seek and you shall find!!

I am sure there are some even better sections outside of the boundaries off the quad, but I haven't been that adventurous yet... The toughest part about getting into the trees is the evergreens they have planted along the sides of most of the trails... However, once you get through them it really opens up and gives you cover from the ski patrol... While tree skiing at Elk may seem as difficult as capturing a snipe or seeing the lochness monster, I assure you it does exist...

I'm looking to keep my days around 40 again. The more the better. Since my man Phillycore so generously gave me his 3 free nights at the Resort at Squaw Creek (thanks again buddy), my only goal is really to use that and ski at Squaw Valley a couple of days. Other than that it'll be lots if days at JFBB - not sure where else in the east I'll be. Lake Placid has become my favorite place to hit but I'm not sure if I'll get back up there or not this season. It's way too early to tell. I would eventually like to make it up to Stowe which is really the only Vermont area that I haven't been that really interests me.