Suggestions for Twin Tips

Margaritaville Skier

Looking to pick up a new pair of skis when I head north this season. Would like to go with "twin tips". Any suggestions as to a good set for use in the banana belt area we know as PA.

PAX

you've gotta be more specific than that. there's not just 'twin tips' anymore, there's a ski with a turned up tail for basically any kind of terrain you're planning on riding aside from a race course, so give us a little more info. using it as an all mountain ski in PA, primarily as a trip ski up north/out west? like to ski a lot of bumps? short quick turns or longer radius turns? are you riding park at all?

• Like 1

k2 public enemy seems to be a popular, well rounded all mountain type twin tip. i dont think they are made anymore, but the extreme is supposed to be the same ski with a different top sheet, and of course more money.

technically they were slightly different construction, but neither of those skis exists anymore. the revamped version for this year is the revival, 90mm waist, tip and tail rocker, flat underfoot. it'd be an awesome travel ski, but not what i'd want to be on if it's getting a lot of use as an east coast carver. they certainly hold an edge, it's just a very different feeling in and out of a turn when you don't have camber underfoot. i'd equate it to surfing, where you don't get the spring out of a turn that you're used to when using a traditional cambered ski.

indiggio, Line has a very broad product range. chances are, there's something there that would work well, but without more specifics, it's hard to recommend something in particular.

I'd say I'm looking for an all mt ski. Too old to do "park" but got into doing the bumps last year. Presently riding Solomon Tornados (163). Would be looking for something in the same approximate length with a pronounced turned up tail.

I'd say I'm looking for an all mt ski. Too old to do "park" but got into doing the bumps last year. Presently riding Solomon Tornados (163). Would be looking for something in the same approximate length with a pronounced turned up tail.

how tall are you? generally with a twin tip you want to go a little longer, since with a turned up tail, you've got less effective edge to work with. you're probably be looking for something in the 170ish range. if you're looking for an all mountain ski, you might want to check out the k2 silencer. cap/sidewall construction for this year, 85mm waist, with a little bit of rocker in the tip. it'll work pretty well for the bumps and be a good go-to ski for the random PA pow day or for spring crud too. it's basically the old PE/extreme, with a new sidewall profile, a little more carbon fiber, and a bit of tip rocker.

i saw some fischer addicts cheap the other day - layer of titanal should make it stiff enough for an all mtn board. i skied its precursor , the riu and had a lot of fun on them in the bumps

the addict is a true twin, therefore not going to be the best all mountain ski. it's doable, but they dive in soft snow.