Bus/Train to PA Resorts that Border NJ?

eeli0s

by PA resorts that border NJ, I mean either Camelback, Bear Creek, Blue mountain, Shawnee, Mountain Creek, Hidden Valley, or Spring mountain

I'm like a 2 hour drive from any of these places. Amtrak aparently is the only train that goes out of NJ, but the closest PA Amtrak station to these resorts is Philly, so that's too far. I could take a Greyhound bus from NJ to a station closest to a ski resort like Mt Pocono PA and take a cab for 5 miles to Camelback, but I'd rather drive 2 hours all tired after skiing than pay $90 for that bus-to-cab combo ($25 each way bus and $20 each way for cab). Aparently PA doesn't have any passenger trains besides Amtrak or in Philly like how NJ has NJTransit that basically just runs from Philly straight to NYC or Along the Jersey coast to NYC. I called all the places that came up when i typed in 'ski shop' or 'ski' into google earth and asked them if they do any group bus trips or whatever and none do.

Anyone know of a place that has like an old bus or something they drive groups to ski at the places I listed? I found a bunch of groups that go to vermont and mass etc but none for just the places I listed. Also, what's a good forum I might be better off asking this question at that focuses more on the resorts I listed?

Thanks

Take cair

by PA resorts that border NJ, I mean either Camelback, Bear Creek, Blue mountain, Shawnee, Mountain Creek, Hidden Valley, or Spring mountain

I'm like a 2 hour drive from any of these places. Amtrak aparently is the only train that goes out of NJ, but the closest PA Amtrak station to these resorts is Philly, so that's too far. I could take a Greyhound bus from NJ to a station closest to a ski resort like Mt Pocono PA and take a cab for 5 miles to Camelback, but I'd rather drive 2 hours all tired after skiing than pay $90 for that bus-to-cab combo ($25 each way bus and $20 each way for cab). Aparently PA doesn't have any passenger trains besides Amtrak or in Philly like how NJ has NJTransit that basically just runs from Philly straight to NYC or Along the Jersey coast to NYC. I called all the places that came up when i typed in 'ski shop' or 'ski' into google earth and asked them if they do any group bus trips or whatever and none do.

Anyone know of a place that has like an old bus or something they drive groups to ski at the places I listed? I found a bunch of groups that go to vermont and mass etc but none for just the places I listed. Also, what's a good forum I might be better off asking this question at that focuses more on the resorts I listed?

Thanks

Take cair

Check with local ski shops like Buckman's here in PA, there's an outfit that runs bus trips. Also, ski clubs.

Check with local ski shops like Buckman's here in PA, there's an outfit that runs bus trips. Also, ski clubs.

AH, forgot to mention more clearly that the bus place must be on the way to the resort from around middlesex county nj in order for it all to make sence. I gotta edit original post.

AH, forgot to mention more clearly that the bus place must be on the way to the resort from around middlesex county nj in order for it all to make sence. I gotta edit original post.

in case others wondering about this:

someone on another forum linked this for mountain creek:http://www.mountaincreek.com/mountain/getting-here/nj-transit-bus-line/

its weekends and holidays only. its a bus that leaves from Wayne NJ transit center that goes to creek for $4. the bus starts of in NYC somewhere and is $12 from there. the bus gets at creek around opening and leaves around 4:30. I'd have to take a train fron mew brunswick to hoboken then get on a different train to WAyne Transit Center to get the bus-it's only $18 each way total bus and trains but I'd like to stay later than 4:30.

in case others wondering about this:

someone on another forum linked this for mountain creek:http://www.mountaincreek.com/mountain/getting-here/nj-transit-bus-line/

its weekends and holidays only. its a bus that leaves from Wayne NJ transit center that goes to creek for $4. the bus starts of in NYC somewhere and is $12 from there. the bus gets at creek around opening and leaves around 4:30. I'd have to take a train fron mew brunswick to hoboken then get on a different train to WAyne Transit Center to get the bus-it's only $18 each way total bus and trains but I'd like to stay later than 4:30.

there's also this that goes from grand central in NYC to Thunder ridge in Patterson, NY ($25 each way and 100 mins and free 1mile shuttle to ski resort[you can call and they pick you up anytime usually])

for me it'd be like $80 bucks and have to NJtranist to pennStation in NYC then subway to Grandcentral then take metro north train to patterson NY, not worth it.

In case any1 else was wonderin bout the same thing:

I called all the places on my original post list and they said there are no busses that go there(except mountain creek). The customer service people I talked to were mostly life-time locals and convincing that they didn't just tell me NO cause they weren't positive or didn't want to spend time on the phone.

Next, I called NJtransit bus and the person was kowelagble and convincing and did tell me that mountain creek from portauthority manhattan/wayne transit center was the only bus they had. Also said no NJtransit busses go out of NJ and to check out Trans-Bridge, a charter bus but that only goes to nyc/area from places in PA that are not close to any skiing.

So, I gotta do 4 hours of driving to go skiing or the mnt. creek on crowded weekends during peak hours bus for only half a day or the other trains listed but those are way to far for just a day trip.

the last thing i gotta check is possible busses from NYC. If i don't post the reuslts from that within 5 days from today, then I didn't find anything from there.

Edited by eeli0s

Public transportation sucks. It's worth the drive from Jersey to be able go when you want, and leave when you want.

public transportaion in NJ aint bad in terms of destinations,but it's gotten so expencive that in general, people would rather drive I've heard. They have so many bus destinations from port authorty like BJs wholesale and Bradlees (like walmart) and malls. these days, people can just shop online. I'd guess that half the people going to the resorts i listed are coming from nyc area and other populated places in jersey so it's a supprise busses haven't caught on to the profit they could make even if they just did full day weekend trips. lol, I should petition to get the mountain creek bus to return at the end of the night instead of getting there at 9:12 a.m and leaving at 4:30.

yeah, i'll gladly take a train/bus/amtrak anywhere if i could that's over an hour drive, safer,greener, easier, no miles on car, and usually= the same cost as gas, so it's a win win situation. it's just the taxi cost that makes it not worth it unless there's others chipping in.

take care

Edited by eeli0s

eelios the closest you will get to public transportation to pa ski resorts is taking a Martz bus out of Port Authority. There is a drop off near the Crossings, so you'd be a couple miles from Camelback. But Martz isn't cheap, roundtrip would probably be in the $55-$65 range. Martz is a piece of shit and charges way too much. I've been e mailing Megabus for months to come to NEPA. Their Syracuse, Buffalo, and Toronto bus all run through Scranton but won't stop here.

eelios the closest you will get to public transportation to pa ski resorts is taking a Martz bus out of Port Authority. There is a drop off near the Crossings, so you'd be a couple miles from Camelback. But Martz isn't cheap, roundtrip would probably be in the $55-$65 range. Martz is a piece of shit and charges way too much. I've been e mailing Megabus for months to come to NEPA. Their Syracuse, Buffalo, and Toronto bus all run through Scranton but won't stop here.

megabus is the shit

Public transportation sucks. It's worth the drive from Jersey to be able go when you want, and leave when you want.

correction: PA public transportation sucks. the public transit system in utah is awesome. you can get to pretty much any of the major ski areas using cheap/free public transit in about the same amount of time it would take to drive and park. if you're staying in or around park city, there's a free town bus that stops at all the ski areas, grocery stores, etc, and hits each stop about every 10 minutes. you can also get from park city to BCC/LCC by bus for about $25-$30 if i remember correctly. buses run from SLC to all the ski areas as well. it's just not as important for the public transit companies to run lines to ski areas around here. realistically, it probably would not make them much, if any, money to do so.

correction: PA public transportation sucks. the public transit system in utah is awesome. you can get to pretty much any of the major ski areas using cheap/free public transit in about the same amount of time it would take to drive and park. if you're staying in or around park city, there's a free town bus that stops at all the ski areas, grocery stores, etc, and hits each stop about every 10 minutes. you can also get from park city to BCC/LCC by bus for about $25-$30 if i remember correctly. buses run from SLC to all the ski areas as well. it's just not as important for the public transit companies to run lines to ski areas around here. realistically, it probably would not make them much, if any, money to do so.

correction: I hate public transportation because it's public and it doesn't run on my schedule.

correction: I hate public transportation because it's public and it doesn't run on my schedule.

yeah it's not private and fancy enough :nana

forget getting any type of bus to any ski resort in PA. even with ski clubs it's a pain in the ass and expensive. fuck that bus that goes to creek too...keep in mind you have to be up before the sun comes up and haul all your shit with you to grand central station in NYC....fuuuuccckkkk that. get a car, find a ride, or just don't ski.