Tahoe weekend and new gear

Timeless

A combined trip / conditions report and some thoughts on my new gear (C2-BTX lib-tech board and Rome Targa bindings)

So first the trip, I had a couple of friends from the east coast fly out for a long weekend, renting a condo on the approach road to Squaw Valley, if anyone is looking at this kind of accomodation, I would recommend these condo's, the "Tavern Inn condo's", easy access for Squaw and Alpine, quite close to route 89 on the access road, nice spacious townhouse and reasonably priced. They weren't as luxurious as the village condo's where I stayed with my family a couple of weeks back but still nice enough (and much cheaper).

Conditions up in Tahoe are pretty sketchy by local standards, with no significant snow for over 20 days, but for an east coaster they still seen pretty nice, and it's hard to complain when it's in the high 40's, sunny, blue skies etc...

We did Squaw on saturday which was pretty frozen up in the morning but the groomers were pretty nice, especially the runs down from emmigrant, siberia and granite chief (consistently the best groomer at squaw IMO), only made frustrating by the fact that they wouldn't open the granite lift due to "firm conditions" which meant that any run had to be accessed from the backside via emmigrant and then an extra lift taken to get back over the "shirley" ridge, quite time consuming. The off groomer stuff never really softened above high camp but on the way back to the base area we found some pretty decent soft stuff to bounce through. No pic's from here 'cos I left my camera at the condo.

Sunday at Alpine where they were holding the "Banzai" downhill race from the top of beaver bowl to the base lodge. Considering the "firm" conditions as it was run in the morning, these guys were hauling ass, if you haven't seen any of the info on this race you should check it out on sugarbowl's website as they are organizing the series. next round at Kirkwood in feb. We spent most of the day on the "backside" area off of the sherwood lift as this gets the first and most sun and everyone else seemed to be on the other side which was just crusty groomers. This area did soften nicely in the afternoon and we had much fun on the so called "south face" wich was pretty bumped up but at least soft by early afternoon.

I did get some pic's from here.....

post-109-0-66407000-1295983274_thumb.jpg

post-109-0-31364000-1295983273_thumb.jpg

post-109-0-00719200-1295983272_thumb.jpg

post-109-0-72670300-1295983269_thumb.jpg

Last day I could only do half a day and given the conditions we decided to check out homewood. I wasn't expecting too much but came away pretty impressed. The first thing you can't escape there is the stunning views of the lake from pretty much everywhere on the resort. In one or two places it was simply breathtaking. Running down the front face towards "glory hole" it felt like you could just fly off into the lake. Just for this you should visit here on a bluebird day, this has to be a pure Tahoe experience.

The runs were generally short, but quite a few nice steep pitches, the trees looked amazing, but the conditions were not allowing that and some of the better looking areas (quail face) were actually closed. We ran pretty much all over the north side of the resort, the best of which were a couple of black runs down from rainbow ridge which were slightly softened by the sun, but still pretty "firm", then heading back to the base found a run called glory hole which was in pretty spectacular condition considering the weather.

All in all, as I said I was surprised by Homewood and would definitely look to go back for another low-key day during a tahoe trip.

Pic's from here too.

post-109-0-78855200-1295983276_thumb.jpg

post-109-0-52487800-1295983278_thumb.jpg

Finally some gear comments, this was the first weekend for me on a rockered board and despite the conditions being mostly not where you would feel the benefit, I came away very impressed. The board in question was one of the hybrid rocker+camber designs (a lib-tech TRS)and it handled everything with confidence. A couple of observations though: At very low speeds on hard surfaces it feels quite like there is a single,round contact point in the center and it slides around all over the place, takes a little getting used to. Also, it felt MUCH more confident on all types of terrain from groomers to soft stuff with a wider stance (weighting the camber areas more by default?).

The board was very comfortable hauling down groomed blacks and it turns very smoothly, didn't notice any lack of rebound out of turns, can't comment on it's park ability as I was only jumping on natural rollers and stuff but nothing to concern me in the way of pop / stability.

Overall a big thumbs up, highly recommend that everyone tries one.

I picked up a set of Rome Targa's for the new board, really like the straps and the canted footbeds. Not super-impressed with the initial quality, mounting disks are pretty poorly made, alignment not great and the "pad" under the baseplate was badly glued on which stopped it seating properly until I scraped all the glue out. Three days riding though and they are super comfortable, nice flex on the middle setting, great high backs. Very pleased now that they are on and set-up, really nice combination with the board. The little rubber strap on the main straps to pull them out of the way is genius, for as long as they last.

Sorry for such a long post, hope you enjoy the pic's.

• Like 2

I love my BTX board as well, and I find it enjoyable in nearly all conditions. Glad you're digging it. I love it in the trees for what you mentioned about the feel of a single contact point in the middle. Makes it so easy to quickly initiate a turn when something dangerous pops up.

Tahoe looks awesome, I'd love to just chill there and look at those views. Such a bonus that you can get some solid runs in there too! Does the powder feel heavy? I just keep hearing more and more lately about the "Sierra Cement."

I love my BTX board as well, and I find it enjoyable in nearly all conditions. Glad you're digging it. I love it in the trees for what you mentioned about the feel of a single contact point in the middle. Makes it so easy to quickly initiate a turn when something dangerous pops up.

Tahoe looks awesome, I'd love to just chill there and look at those views. Such a bonus that you can get some solid runs in there too! Does the powder feel heavy? I just keep hearing more and more lately about the "Sierra Cement."

Of the many powder days I was lucky enough to experience last year and so far this season (before the taps were turned off at new year), the powder varied from light fluffy "blower" to quite heavy wet snow that whilst deep was not easy to move through. It's pretty easy to see in advance what it will be with the incoming storm track producing colder or warmer storms and varying snow ratios.

More often than not, it's tue powder rather than "cement", especially in the early and middle season, less so in the late spring.

great pics! I've been on Targas for the past few years. They are very adjustable, but a MASSIVE pain to set up. Once you get them dialed in, they are amazing. Most comfortable straps I've ever used. The little rubber doo-dad that springs your straps open is actually pretty durable. Even if it snaps, Rome will send you a new one.

Thanks for the reveiw of the Lib tech.I really like my Jamie Lynn model(non rocker and no magna traction).I am in the market for one now but damn there not cheap.As said before great pics.

You should try a rocker, but I am not sure the differences over a "normal" cambered board would be so beneficial with mostly "firm" groomers. I have a dark series Lib with Magna Traction which I bought while I was still in PA and loved the way it blasted through that frozen re-groomed crud you get at the top of rocket most mornings. I think it may even have been the ideal board for Blue Mountain cookies.

Just so impressed by the lib tech's, 3 years on my Dark and I was still really reluctant to go get a new one. Happy now that I did though.

The little rubber doo-dad that springs your straps open is actually pretty durable. Even if it snaps, Rome will send you a new one.

Glad to hear that, I wonder if they patented the idea?

Does the powder feel heavy? I just keep hearing more and more lately about the "Sierra Cement."

Just following up on this, the powder varies from this, 5 days after a storm at northstar

post-109-0-66385500-1296003449_thumb.jpg

To this (more typical but not the lightest)3 days after a storm at Sugarbowl

post-109-0-14350500-1296003471_thumb.jpg

Such a relaxed vibe out here though, especially at Alpine Meadows, one of my favorite all time places to be.

You should try a rocker, but I am not sure the differences over a "normal" cambered board would be so beneficial with mostly "firm" groomers. I have a dark series Lib with Magna Traction which I bought while I was still in PA and loved the way it blasted through that frozen re-groomed crud you get at the top of rocket most mornings. I think it may even have been the ideal board for Blue Mountain cookies.

Just so impressed by the lib tech's, 3 years on my Dark and I was still really reluctant to go get a new one. Happy now that I did though.

Glad to hear that, I wonder if they patented the idea?

Just following up on this, the powder varies from this, 5 days after a storm at northstar

post-109-0-66385500-1296003449_thumb.jpg

To this (more typical but not the lightest)3 days after a storm at Sugarbowl

post-109-0-14350500-1296003471_thumb.jpg

Such a relaxed vibe out here though, especially at Alpine Meadows, one of my favorite all time places to be.

nice, i certainly wouldn't turn down even an below average day out there. i was just curious as i've heard the "cement" analogy dropped a lot recently out here. both by people who know what's good, and total goobers. seems like a lot of co dick waving. looks fun out there.

I've never made it to the Lake Tahoe area, but there is something special about standing at the top of the mountain looking out onto the lake from every picture I've seen. Such a beautiful area, and definitely an area high on my list to visit.

How long is your drive from the bay area?

I've never made it to the Lake Tahoe area, but there is something special about standing at the top of the mountain looking out onto the lake from every picture I've seen. Such a beautiful area, and definitely an area high on my list to visit.

How long is your drive from the bay area?

Honestly the views from Squaw, Alpine, Heavenly etc are cool, but there is something about the closeness to the lake at Homewood that seriously makes you stop mid-run to take it all in, it's almost un-nerving in places where you see the run pitching away in front of you and all you can see beyond is water.

3 hours from Morgan Hill to Sugarbowl (closest), nearly 4 hours to Squaw etc, about the same to south lake and Kirkwood. With commuter traffic if you time it wrong, that can easily turn into 5+ hours, just have to think about it a little.

Tahoe is a special place..... ; )

For sure..... with a lot of powder at Homewood, did you find it difficult to get back to the lifts, seemed like the traverses might have been painful in deep snow.

Honestly the views from Squaw, Alpine, Heavenly etc are cool, but there is something about the closeness to the lake at Homewood that seriously makes you stop mid-run to take it all in, it's almost un-nerving in places where you see the run pitching away in front of you and all you can see beyond is water.

3 hours from Morgan Hill to Sugarbowl (closest), nearly 4 hours to Squaw etc, about the same to south lake and Kirkwood. With commuter traffic if you time it wrong, that can easily turn into 5+ hours, just have to think about it a little.

For sure..... with a lot of powder at Homewood, did you find it difficult to get back to the lifts, seemed like the traverses might have been painful in deep snow.

I had a blast at Homewood... The one traverse along the top off the ellis chair was a little slow the further you went on it, but it honestly didn't matter any to us as it was soooooo worth it. (The Ellis chair was closed for 2 days prior to us going which made it even nicer as there isn't a way to access that terrain without that chair) Hobbitland was money, and since the traverse over was slow and a little flat noone was going over that way which made it so money.

I didn't get the views that you had, I knew they had to be great cause damn the lake is literally right across the street...but we were getting dumped on so we couldn't even see the lake, even from the main groomer takes you to the base under the lift.

It's definitely a lot smaller than any of the others (kirkwood, squaw, alpine, heavenly) but so underrated at the same time.

It doesn't have that gnarly terrain factor by any means, but the snow was DEEP as all hell, it's has some seriously fun tree runs and stashes galore.

I wouldn't hesitate to go back there whatsoever, especially on a bluebird day a day or even 2 after a dump as it doesn't get the traffic the others get.

The snow quality the day we were there wasn't the best, it was changing between a mix and wet snow which made it real thick...speed was definitely your best friend that day. I struggled with some of the deeper stuff as I kept sinking in on the flatter areas, and ended up on the groomers which had a foot of fresh on top which was just sick in it's own right. I posted a video from our homewood day somewhere on here.. I'll see if I can find it. (it was the first time I ever did any video so it pretty much sucked, but it gives an idea of conditions we had at least...)

I'm glad you got to check the place out as it's cool and damn worth the $$ for what you get IMO.

Overall.... Tahoe has everything, Breathtaking views, Serious Terrain, Good Eats, Friendly people...it's definitely the smorgasbord of skiing.

You are lucky to have it in your backyard....