2011-2012 season...

burton71

Tonight was kinda icy hardpack. Didn't stick around too long as I was feeling sick but it was fun regardless. The up circle rail is sooo much fun. It would be cool to see the flat down circle rail set up somewhere in cascade as either an a frame or flat with a double lip.

FB page says new build on Cascade. Definitely looking forward to it this week.

saw that this morning, hopefully we can get a good rail line or two going in there.

black bear was real fun last night, the bottom rail line was prime even though everything was super low. bear has been blasting the shit out of the mountain with snow and its finally looking like it should, well sort of.

I dont think bear is or will ever be that good of a park. The jumps are never the same 2 days in a row, the park crew will be out building nice lips one day and the next day you wont see any of them.

And if they wanted to build cascade they should have did it over the weekend when it was cold, I knew they wouldn't go near it last night it was to warm and to much rain, they would have lost to much snow.

yes this season sucks and it makes it harder but when you have cold temps you need to take that opportunity and build the park!

I just looked at the webcam and their building it now i guess they dont care to save the snow..... :confused

Edited by 1337snowboarding

They were blowing all weekend, can't build and blow at the same time.

And I disagree, the park has been pretty damn good for how shitty the weather has been. But maybe that is just me, I grew up riding before there were parks and learned how to make the most out of any feature no matter what it was like. People seem to be so stuck on lips and landings being perfect, jumps have a certain kind of pop, and rails being setup just right or whatever. Just get creative, have fun and ride whatever is there.

I dont think bear is or will ever be that good of a park. The jumps are never the same 2 days in a row, the park crew will be out building nice lips one day and the next day you wont see any of them.

And if they wanted to build cascade they should have did it over the weekend when it was cold, I knew they wouldn't go near it last night it was to warm and to much rain, they would have lost to much snow.

yes this season sucks and it makes it harder but when you have cold temps you need to take that opportunity and build the park!

I just looked at the webcam and their building it now i guess they dont care to save the snow..... :confused

half of this post contradicts the other half. you complain that the park isn't good, they didnt build cascade, whatever else then at the end you bitch that they're building cascade and not worried about saving snow?

i'll agree that the jumps are never the same. When you can manage a park and keep every single jump the exact same every day then im sure everyone here would love to go there.

as for park crew, dont bash them, there has not been a single day this year where they havent been out raking things and doing the best they can to keep everything perfect. if the snow is granulated then yeah they are gonna be out raking lips because its not going to pack down its just going to get shot off right away. park crew has been on point with everything this year and i dont think theyre getting the credit they deserve.

They were blowing all weekend, can't build and blow at the same time.

And I disagree, the park has been pretty damn good for how shitty the weather has been. But maybe that is just me, I grew up riding before there were parks and learned how to make the most out of any feature no matter what it was like. People seem to be so stuck on lips and landings being perfect, jumps have a certain kind of pop, and rails being setup just right or whatever. Just get creative, have fun and ride whatever is there.

half of this post contradicts the other half. you complain that the park isn't good, they didnt build cascade, whatever else then at the end you bitch that they're building cascade and not worried about saving snow?

i'll agree that the jumps are never the same. When you can manage a park and keep every single jump the exact same every day then im sure everyone here would love to go there.

as for park crew, dont bash them, there has not been a single day this year where they havent been out raking things and doing the best they can to keep everything perfect. if the snow is granulated then yeah they are gonna be out raking lips because its not going to pack down its just going to get shot off right away. park crew has been on point with everything this year and i dont think theyre getting the credit they deserve.

Well they still could have built it the nights before they started blowing. At the start of the year they claimed they couldn't open because it was so warm you could watch the snow melt. I just think today is to warm to risk moving the snow around. Lets face it theirs not really going to be any snow making any time soon and they need to save as much as they can..

I dont know how much you guys ride but i have been their pretty much every day other then when at other mountains. and their is all ways ruts up to rails i didnt see any one rake at all yesterday in the afternoon.

Park crew spends most of their day lapping the park or sitting their smoking.

I ride BC 3 or 4 times a week and park crew is usually out fixing or doing stuff when they can.

Cascade didn't have enough snow on it to do a decent build before they did all the blowing. Plus why would you do a build only to hammer the trails with snow and have to dig everything out and rebuild?

It might be a bit warm today to be doing a build but other than tomorrow most nights the next 5 - 10 days are decently cold so we shouldn't lose to much snow...hopefully.

Well they still could have built it the nights before they started blowing. At the start of the year they claimed they couldn't open because it was so warm you could watch the snow melt. I just think today is to warm to risk moving the snow around. Lets face it theirs not really going to be any snow making any time soon and they need to save as much as they can..

I dont know how much you guys ride but i have been their pretty much every day other then when at other mountains. and their is all ways ruts up to rails i didnt see any one rake at all yesterday in the afternoon.

Park crew spends most of their day lapping the park or sitting their smoking.

Thanks very much for your concerns and opinions, we will surely take it into account and do our best to improve the situation.

Building before blowing all night would be silly, you clearly are out of your element if you're making statements like that.

We laid down a solid rake run yesterday just before dusk, maybe you missed us. The heavy snow and the rain packed things down like cement and I didn't see a rut all night. Glad you think we're a bunch of bums though, I'm sure you'd shovel twice as hard if you were on crew. Perhaps you weren't there monday when we spent a solid two hours diggin out every feature after they blew all night sunday. Or maybe you weren't there the days we used three guys to change the skate rail to an up rail and hand built a lip, or when we reversed the dfd and hand built three lips just so you guys could have something different cause we knew a build wasn't happening.

I got a pair of black lines with a white NS sticker, if you see me standing out there smoking and you have an issue with the park by all means I invite you to stop by and let me know. I'd be happy to grab a rake and follow you to whatever feature you think could use some work.

Sadly though I think this is just a case of "you can't please all the people all the time".

You're not bitter cause you didn't make it into finals are you??

• Like 1

i dont think one thing has been rutted all year besides maybe a flat box, which doesnt count because everyone and their mom knows how to hit it so of course its goign to get rutted. there is no way to keep up with the traffic on the easier features such as the super wide flat box. jump landings are the same, you cant fix them unless you whip a cat out of your pocket. there are times, especially this year that the snow just doesnt hold. when the snow is all granular and loose there is almost nothing you can do with it. its going to get destroyed as soon as one person hits it. sometimes nothing can even be raked or dealt with till mid day becasue the snow needs to melt a little bit to get it a little stickier and easier to deal with.

i would rather them wait till theyre done blowing to build. there is nothign more annoyign to me than hitting a rail thats so low that my tips touch the snow.

so far it look like they have two lines. one goes : donkey d, down cannon, s rail and the other goes down rail with the lil flat at the beginign, arbor rail then that slippery rail with no skirting. looks fun!

Edited by mollyskeeze

I ride BC 3 or 4 times a week and park crew is usually out fixing or doing stuff when they can.

Cascade didn't have enough snow on it to do a decent build before they did all the blowing. Plus why would you do a build only to hammer the trails with snow and have to dig everything out and rebuild?

It might be a bit warm today to be doing a build but other than tomorrow most nights the next 5 - 10 days are decently cold so we shouldn't lose to much snow...hopefully.

i ride bear 4-6 times a week and have had maybe 3 days this year where something other than a flat box has been rutted out. If youre complaining about stuff being rutted then you must be hitting all of the flat features as those are usually the ones that get rutted easiest.

Thanks very much for your concerns and opinions, we will surely take it into account and do our best to improve the situation.

Building before blowing all night would be silly, you clearly are out of your element if you're making statements like that.

We laid down a solid rake run yesterday just before dusk, maybe you missed us. The heavy snow and the rain packed things down like cement and I didn't see a rut all night. Glad you think we're a bunch of bums though, I'm sure you'd shovel twice as hard if you were on crew. Perhaps you weren't there monday when we spent a solid two hours diggin out every feature after they blew all night sunday. Or maybe you weren't there the days we used three guys to change the skate rail to an up rail and hand built a lip, or when we reversed the dfd and hand built three lips just so you guys could have something different cause we knew a build wasn't happening.

I got a pair of black lines with a white NS sticker, if you see me standing out there smoking and you have an issue with the park by all means I invite you to stop by and let me know. I'd be happy to grab a rake and follow you to whatever feature you think could use some work.

Sadly though I think this is just a case of "you can't please all the people all the time".

:clap

It is wonderful that you come out and rake at night when the snow is nice and hard and won't need further attention but what about the 8 hours before dusk when the snow is soft and requires constant care? Maybe the nights are cared for but the days are very neglected.

I truly feel your pain after that grueling 2 hours of digging. How could any one imagine working 8 hours...

Edited by yaybearcreek

I have nothing against you guys. I understand its a hard job but so many times you will only see one guy out their while the others are not doing any thing. I was their on Monday and would agree you did a great job. I just wish their were guys doing it every day at mid day. Also why is it so rare for you to rake the jumps?

It is wonderful that you come out and rake at night when the snow is nice and hard and won't need further attention but what about the 8 hours before dusk when the snow is soft and requires constant care? Maybe the nights are cared for but the days are very neglected.

I truly feel your pain after that grueling 2 hours of digging. How could any one imagine working 8 hours...

I'm there all the time between open and close and see park crew all the time. Not sure what you are talking about.

Sick alias chief.

I'm on night shift so I don't show up til between 2 and 3. It is critical to rake run before the sun goes down to flatten everything before it freezes up. Congrats you completely missed my point. I agree morning crew could do better, we switched some guys around recently and I have a feeling it'll get better soon.

And FYI I work a full 8 hours before I even show up to bc to shovel anything.

I'd bet you don't even work, hell you sound like a bitter person stuck in the midwest.

I have nothing against you guys. I understand its a hard job but so many times you will only see one guy out their while the others are not doing any thing. I was their on Monday and would agree you did a great job. I just wish their were guys doing it every day at mid day. Also why is it so rare for you to rake the jumps?

Not calling you a liar, but park crew ALWAYS rake runs together, so I find it hard to believe you frequently see just one guy out there.

The jumps are tricky, we have been trying to get at them more recently but they can be a pain. If the groomer doesn't get em dead flat we chip away at ice for a long time trying to get em flat and often just pull up chunks just making it worse. It's also easier to work em when it's soft, so crusty nights is not when you'll see us putting a ton of time into them(I'm only speaking as night crew). Also they don't usually even look that bad. The landings get choppy sometimes but there isn't much we can do about that with rakes and shovels.

Is it my turn to complain now????

How come you guys still attempt to hit jumps when skis/patrollers/people/poles are clearly closing the lip because someone is injured in the landing?

How come my skis block a lip and I'm standing there raking the lip, yet you still huck a massive 1 foot air off the lip endangering myself and you?

How come you say we don't fix stuff enough, yet when we are out there fixing a lip I hear so many moans and groans that we're blocking the feature you wanted to hit again for the 50th time that night??

Not calling you a liar, but park crew ALWAYS rake runs together, so I find it hard to believe you frequently see just one guy out there.

The jumps are tricky, we have been trying to get at them more recently but they can be a pain. If the groomer doesn't get em dead flat we chip away at ice for a long time trying to get em flat and often just pull up chunks just making it worse. It's also easier to work em when it's soft, so crusty nights is not when you'll see us putting a ton of time into them(I'm only speaking as night crew). Also they don't usually even look that bad. The landings get choppy sometimes but there isn't much we can do about that with rakes and shovels.

Is it my turn to complain now????

How come you guys still attempt to hit jumps when skis/patrollers/people/poles are clearly closing the lip because someone is injured in the landing?

How come my skis block a lip and I'm standing there raking the lip, yet you still huck a massive 1 foot air off the lip endangering myself and you?

How come you say we don't fix stuff enough, yet when we are out there fixing a lip I hear so many moans and groans that we're blocking the feature you wanted to hit again for the 50th time that night??

I ride mostly mid morning in to the afternoon, im out of their by 4. The jumps could just use it on warm days when the lose snow piles up on them and that makes them annoying to spin off of.

Every thing you complained about bothers me seeing it from the lift. they seem to mainly be younger kids.