snowshoe

zzslope

I've always wanted to get to one of the WV resorts. Snowshoe's stats look good, 5,000 feet up and 1500 vert sounds good. 70% beginner and intermediate terrain, not so much.

canaan and timberline look interesting too. Always thought about driving down there every time a major storm goes south of us here.

Canaan's trail map looks like it has mostly intermediate and expert trails, but the vertical is 850'. If the trails stay steep to or near the lift, 850' would work. Berkshire east in massachusetts has an 1180' vertical but it is steep almost to the lift, not much wasted time crusing the flat to the lift line. Snow shoe is taller but I wonder if the trails have alot of runout at the bottom.

I went for a few days after a big dump the 1st week of December last year before the season really started. I spent 95% of the time skiing Sawmill and Sawmill glades due to poor and confusing signage and ropes which kept everyone off except me for the most part. I checked out a few of the other trails as well. Moslty intermediate level stuff. Their Western Territory area is prolly the most challenging but was not open when I was there, I hiked up about 1/2 way and skied down Culp's my last day because the snow was untracked. I wouldn't waste my time driving there unless they got some serious snow and the NE doesn't. It's pretty isolated and there's nothing there other than the resort establishments.

Does Whitegrass have a lift?

No, Whitegrass is just a touring center... Nordic only, but I have heard only good things off of several other message boards I lurk on...

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. As I have stated before, I learned to board at Snowshoe when I was 14 and then I went back when I was 18. I had an exceptional time both times, even though I spent more time on my ass the first time than I did standing up.

First things first, Snowshoe is made up of three distinct mountain areas of differing terrain and vertical. The Basin I would peg at about 1,000 vertical feet, Silver Creek maybe at about 800, and the Western Territory at 1,500. The basin's terrain is very similar to Camelback. It is very mellow and definitely caters to beginners. It has some decent steeps but mostly has windy cruisers that criss cross a variety of trails before ending at the lift. The resort uses a top down philosophy and the lodges and lodging are at the top of the mountain. The Basin is serviced by two high speed quads. The Sawmill quad and trails (which includes the only on map glade), was added after I went, but according to Moe, is an excellent addition. The Silver Creek area is the night skiing area and has some more diverse terrain. It has a couple cruisers, and a couple trails that boast some reasonable steeps with a decent runout. Thete are no high speed lifts there. The Western Territory is on the backside of the mountain and caters almost specifically to experts. It is serviced by a HSQ and is almost always the last thing they open. It wasn't open when I was there due to lack of snow the first time, and wind hold the 2nd. Last I had heard, they hadn't opened Lower Shay's in the past couple years, so don't count on it being open.

That being said, it is a remote all inclusive area resort. Like Moe said, there is nothing for miles. Don't expect to get cheap food or lodging. Although, the lodge at the base of the mountain is resort owned and much more affordable than slope side lodging. Snowshoe is a shining growth gem in the ski industry. Since Intrawest bought it and poured money into upgrading the infrastructure, it has consistently seen skier visit growth from 450k a year to over 500k a year (more than Stratton). Their snowmaking also rivals many places up north, and when the temps drop, they can cover a bunch of terrain quick. Unfortunately, while the peak is at 4,848, it is much more susceptible to warmups due to its latitude and longitude. However, some of the coldest temps I have encountered have been at Snowshoe. Also, due to their location, they average close to 200 inches of snow a year. As odd as it sounds, they are the beneficiaries of strong lake effect snows and can have some epic powder days. Since most of their clientele is the DC Baltimore Metro area, the weekdays are fairly slow. There is always snow to be found midweek, especially off piste. There are some really good trees to be had. Unless the atmosphere has changed since the last time I wa there, they were fairly receptive to off piste adventures, and I was never hassled.

To sum it up, Snowshoe is prone to warmups, but can recover quickly, and can also deliver the goods from time to time. While pricey, the slopeside lodging is worth the investment. If the snow hits, there are few places better in the East south of Vermont. You just need to time it right. That being said, unless your in western PA, it's going to be tough to justify the trip. The distance to VT is closer, they have a better vertical, and more dependable snow conditions. However, if your in the area, definitely check it out...

Ride delaware, thanks for the info. I have been thinking of moving to northeastern west virgina. The roads and scenery are second to none for motorcycling, been to seneca rocks area several times on the bike. I was hoping that snowshoe was at least comparable to blue for a home mountain. Any idea what timberline is like?

Ride delaware, thanks for the info. I have been thinking of moving to northeastern west virgina. The roads and scenery are second to none for motorcycling, been to seneca rocks area several times on the bike. I was hoping that snowshoe was at least comparable to blue for a home mountain. Any idea what timberline is like?

Snowshoe also has a yearly motorcycle rally, an my father has partaken in said event... Snowshoe is definitely a step up fom Blue... It beats pretty much everything I've been to in PA, that much I can confirm... It even has by beloved Elk Mountain beat... That being said, I haven't been to Timberline, but my fiends have... Similar snowfall tithe Shoe, but slightly less... Also less vert... It has a very laid back feel, isn't sold out, and rocks two slow lifts from the top... Very old school, but very fun... Snowmaking is also a little lacking... They make snow but don't have the power to open runs as quickly or recover...