1/28/12 - Super Snow & Light Crowds

indiggio

Just remarkable conditions despite some of the crappiest winter weather in a while. Nice, soft, carvable snow on almost all the runs right from the get-go.

Got to do some fast runs down Razor's before the race team closed it off. It and Challenge seemed a bit harder than all the others, probably due to the lack of skiers on them, which made for some fast snow on them.

Made a few runs down Sidewinder to see what's what. Couple sets of down-rails down to the big jumps. No picnic table as other years. The big jumps look to get bigger with each jump down to the big wall. They've got a big lip at the bottom of the wall, which made for a lot of people biting it by getting hung up on the lip.

Down from that they've got the wood wall tucked in the corner. Next to that is the Teflon table. Out in the middle is the big tire. Down from them is the big cannon rail and another booter next to it. Continuing down are another couple sets of rails.

All the jibbers were happy now that the park is open.

Just couldn't believe the lack of crowd. We stayed until 12:15 or so and there was nary a line at the 6 or the quad. The doubles only had 1 running and that was like a ghost-town.

Main street had nice soft snow and Switchback was also beautiful.

Just an absolutely wonderful day at Blue.

Sounds good. I'm gonna try and make it out there tomorrow AM. Seasons like this when it's warm and rainy are good for passholders as the crowds just aren't there.

Oh yeah. I'm sure they're hurting (along with all the other eastern PA mountains) this year.

With the warm weather and rain this past week and lack of natural snow, I'm sure people are thinking there's just nothing on the mountain.

Better for passholders, but I'm sure they're gonna try to recoup on season pass prices this year...

Made it from 1-5pm. Good turns in the sun, soft on most trails. Lazy Mile had good soft snow, Challenge and Razors were still edgeable but a bit harder. Rode some fatter boards which was overall a good call.

Bumps on Mainstreet were the best I've seen them (w/ exception of a few brown troughs) and Nightmare's were nicely spaced and fun (but a bit firmer).

Today (1/29) was also good. I got on the snow around 10:15am after seeing AngryHugo in the lot. I parked next to Root, and quickly joined up Root, JLaw, Chippy, and You-Gene. I needed to get some turns on my slalom sticks for tomorrow's race night, so to Lazy Mile we went, which also happened to be the ROTD. JLaw had just gotten pulled over for fast skiing on Paradise and got put in the database shortly before I met up with them. Apparently You-Gene got a little fired up over the situation...he's not a guy I'd want in my face :ph34r:

Lazy mile was smooth, fast and grippy. I made about 1000 turns on my slalom skis in the 1hr20min session I put in. Razors was closed due to a J1/2 race (I assume). Switchback apparently was cookied up, but I only skied Lazy -> Falls. Dreamweaver looked nice, but Nightmare was very narrow due to the bumps.

Nice quick session in the sun and a beer in the parking lot with Root and Chippy. Nice being back at Blue :)

• Like 1

Johnny Law you're a loser for skiing fast on Paradise..the patrollers should have pulled your pass. You think you're a tough guy skiing fast on Groomers...loser

Definitly, you probably shouldn't ride with me anymore I am very dangerous.

They were actually super chill about it, its a ticket for nothing. I didn't feel I was going that fast but his daughter or something did, its his job, I can't see a reason to get bent out of shape.

This weekend was suprisingly good, snow was fast and easy, hopefully it gets cold again. LOL

• Like 2

Had fun today despite feeling like dookie. Early on, Nightmare to Dreamweaver was the run of the day. They had blown up to 3 mm of fresh over the groomed stuff, so it was super grippy.

Met up with Root early, and we both felt like shit (literally and figuratively), so we just goofed around for a bit. We met up with Chippy and You-Gene a bit later, which added to the fun factor. We lapped Lazy for a while, which was pretty awesome.

I took a break for a bit to sort out my issues with my footbeds, and Root took off to switch to fatter skis. Once everyone reconvened, we found Johnny Law. Since he owns 238 jackets, it took a minute to figure him out. We ripped down Lazy again a few more times.

I started feeling extra shitty, so I rolled out around 10:15. My wife was feeling dizzy/ lightheaded Friday, so I must have gotten whatever that was. Sleeping 2-3 hours a night for 2 months might do that... I had tinnies in the car, but didn't even want any.

i always expect a huge physical argument when my dad gets defensive...

it t'was a good morning though. It was my first day out this season, and I didn't lose anything from last season. Not even one run was need to gain my ski legs back. felt great!