UH OH, Management being dumb again...

Winter

As long as they bring back the race team things will get sorted out.

LOL, good one. Well, the proven profits the race team apparently made would have covered the back taxes they aren't paying. Then again, i guess its just as easy to raise the already highest lift ticket prices in the state even higher :devil:

What are you the frickin ski industry revenue police or something. First the thread about them losing money this year, and now this?? You really have a soft spot for old doe mountain don't ya??

Your link ain't working for me though, and I'd honestly like to read what the eagle had to say. Any chance you can try again.

Oh hey look this link from google works.

http://www.skiesq.com/2012/06/bear-creek-fails-to-pay-amusement-tax.html

Wonder what the other amusement type businesses think about this......actually I wonder what the other amusement type businesses are actually. Maybe that paintball place up toward emmaus?? 10% is pretty darn heavy handed if you ask me.

nevermind winter, I found the reading eagle article, well if you could call it that. Sounds like a low blow from a struggling township board if you ask me.

Imagine what ten percent of all their lift ticket and tubing sales are. That's a lot of dough I'd think.

Hope they don't count weddings as amusement revenue.

nevermind winter, I found the reading eagle article, well if you could call it that. Sounds like a low blow from a struggling township board if you ask me.

Imagine what ten percent of all their lift ticket and tubing sales are. That's a lot of dough I'd think.

Hope they don't count weddings as amusement revenue.

I completely agree... Lots of towns have a gross receipts tax of 3-5% of revenue, but to tax a ski area, whose margins are already notoriously low or negative, especially at 10%, is absolutely nuts... I'm sure the Creek is making plenty of money, but they clearly haven't done their research, just decided to tap a resource they thought would really pay off... It will be a shame if this has long term circumstances... Hopefully for the workers sake, BC doesn't play the "I can't afford the tax" card and threaten to shut the place down... Even though we know that scenario is unlikely...

I completely agree... Lots of towns have a gross receipts tax of 3-5% of revenue, but to tax a ski area, whose margins are already notoriously low or negative, especially at 10%, is absolutely nuts... I'm sure the Creek is making plenty of money, but they clearly haven't done their research, just decided to tap a resource they thought would really pay off... It will be a shame if this has long term circumstances... Hopefully for the workers sake, BC doesn't play the "I can't afford the tax" card and threaten to shut the place down... Even though we know that scenario is unlikely...

Haha unlikely?? It would take a catastrophic earthquake and a devastating fire to shut that place down at this point I think. They have built way to much in recent years to give up on that place.

Although as a low level employee there it wouldn't bother me if they shut the doors, I'd have to find another minimum wage winter second job. As a lifelong doe mountain skier though it would hurt to see the local hill close for sure. I mean I wouldn't wanna have to start going to blue and risk bumping into Douglass again. haha just kiddin doug.

Edited by PASKIINGSUCKS

From what i recall about the take over of Doe Mt. back in 1999, the township gave them some pretty sweet incentives to rebuild and expand and finally the township is asking for something in return. 10%, if thats not a misprint, is huge. If it's true however, then i actually side with Bear Creep on that one. Pa supposedly tried capping amusement taxes in the state at 4%. Dorney pays 5% btw. I'm no fan of big gov. and taxes, though while i pay them, i understand the beef if BC feels that a newly enacted tax is singling them out. Then again, knowing the management and owners as I do, they are always looking to shimmy a buck in their pockets even if it means spending big $$$ on a lawyer or two.

10% is a big chunk of change. i guess the local government cant get their revenue from the people that live there, so they have to go get it from an establishment that actually helps bring revenue into thier local economy, and provide jobs. nice. Maybe i have read the artticle wrong, but it sounds like to me Bear has simply not paid the tax, and the authorities were given the green light to pursue it. if i were Bear i wouldnt be handing out checks unless i was asked for it.

now if Bear wanted to get creative, they probably could. like charging $50 for parking, but for a limited time only, you get a free lift ticket.....buy this awesome Bear Creek T-shirt for $60, and get a free lift ticket......the list goes on.

Just put in another parking lot...pave paradise!!!! Parking lot can be inline skate park in the summer. Sell $35 ice cream cones that come with free admission to inline skate park extra dollar will be dipped in fudge and an extra two dollars and can eat cone with winter and hear about the glory days of bear creek when the lifts were slow wait they still are and Bam Margera wasn't a guest of the resort.

BC should totally put in a skate park, hell it'd see more use than those expensive tennis courts that I never see anyone playing on. Also Ironworks could keep the cost down by manufacturing all the rails. I mean the place is already going towards the young jibbers anyway, why not put in a jib park for the summer. I know I'd use it. That's also something they could charge for that I wouldn't mind paying admission to.

And yes I primarily rollerblade, so commence with the telling your parents about your sexuality jokes.

Edited by PASKIINGSUCKS

Just remember, if they put in a skatepark, and charge admission, then that will also be part of the amusement tax... That's doesn't really solve the problem... However, if they give a free lift ticket to someone staying at the hotel, and pay a higher room rate, then maybe that could avoid it?

• 2 weeks later...

A skate park really aint a bad idea. The thing that so many smaller resorts lack is activites for skiers/riders in the 9 months of down-time. BC has a lot of crap going on for non-skier types in summer, but are missing out on a pretty good idea with having a summer park. Not sure where it would go that wouldn't interfere with parking or winter stuff. It would need to be big if they're going to do it right.

Just got the vote tally of Ski East Magazines top 10 rankings in a variety of categories. Bear is slipping, didn't make a single top ten this year :glare:

• 2 months later...