24. Winter Park, CO
  25. Alta, UT
  26. Keystone, CO
  27. Northstar, CA
  28. Heavenly, CA
  29. Squaw Valley, CA
  30. Snowbasin, UT

Edited by sibhusky

Our leap was so huge that I'm wondering how they weed out people answering the survey multiple times. It just doesn't seem possible for us to have gotten to number 11, above some of those other resorts. I guess they put a lot of weight on the Value aspect.

I'm wondering if the same folks who got us to win the Native Eyewear Locals Only Project had a hand in this.

Edited by sibhusky

Congrats Sib!!!! 11th is huge....#winning

It depends on how many gapers decide to come here whether this is a win or not. After all, our weather was apparently voted #46. You have to be pretty hard core to ski here.

It just doesn't seem possible for us to have gotten to number 11, above some of those other resorts. I guess they put a lot of weight on the Value aspect.

please...Deer Valley got #2 and vail got #3. that right there should tell you that the whole ranking system is bullshit.

Edited by jordan
  • Like 1

And for those of us in the Northeast:

1. Mont Tremblant

2. Sunday River

3. Smuggler's Notch

4. Sugarloaf, Maine

5. Stowe

6. Holiday Valley

7. Killington

8. Whiteface

9. Loon

10. Jay Peak

Solid lineup, but Stowe at 5? Really? No Sugarbush? No Stratton? Holiday Valley at 6?

One for each cheek?

It's cool Whitefish made the list. The jaded jerk in me always thinks these lists are formulated largely by how much each resort spends on ad space in the magazine.

I doubt if it's the ads we buy. For one thing, how big could our advertising budget be, given Vail gets 1,600,000 a year compared to our 290,000. More likely to be some kind of function of the way they get the surveys filled in. Personally, I haven't seen a survey in over 20 years. But...I get the sense that at some point it can be filled out online if you're watching for it. Does anyone know? Once it's online of course it can be jimmied. Not necessarily by the resort, but enthusiastic supporters.

I doubt if it's the ads we buy. For one thing, how big could our advertising budget be, given Vail gets 1,600,000 a year compared to our 290,000. More likely to be some kind of function of the way they get the surveys filled in. Personally, I haven't seen a survey in over 20 years. But...I get the sense that at some point it can be filled out online if you're watching for it. Does anyone know? Once it's online of course it can be jimmied. Not necessarily by the resort, but enthusiastic supporters.

Its not about the ads or rigged voting. Vail and Deer Valley get the most votes because they both give subscriptions to ski magazine to their season pass holders. Obviously if you take a poll of Deer Valley season pass holders, they are going to say that Deer Valley is their favorite ski resort.

Hmmm...I got mine for going to a Warren Miller movie, certainly doesn't come with the pass. At one point I had three copies coming because of NASTAR, the movie and my own subscription, but once NASTAR left, the issues gradually disappeared. It might be that for DV and Vail, but just our visit numbers should tell you that our 11 spot jump is sort of weird.

Its not about the ads or rigged voting. Vail and Deer Valley get the most votes because they both give subscriptions to ski magazine to their season pass holders. Obviously if you take a poll of Deer Valley season pass holders, they are going to say that Deer Valley is their favorite ski resort.

This, plus they weigh terrain equally with the off hill services like daycare and whatnot. For many people that is not a equal conversion but that's why DV scores so high....they do have very nice off hill shit and when it snows your fighting like 10 peeps for snow. Still small flat hill with alot of attitude.

Its not about the ads or rigged voting.

I doubt if it's the ads we buy.

I've obviously worked in the bicycle industry for too long. haha

This poll is definitely geared toward the paid subscribers of Ski Magazine. The off-hill stuff gets as much coverage as the on-hill. That's exactly what some folks like to get out of the ski experience. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Different strokes, they say. Powder Magazine will have a completely different list for their demo.

I've obviously worked in the bicycle industry for too long. haha

This poll is definitely geared toward the paid subscribers of Ski Magazine. The off-hill stuff gets as much coverage as the on-hill. That's exactly what some folks like to get out of the ski experience. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Different strokes, they say. Powder Magazine will have a completely different list for their demo.

If this post over on Epic is what it appears to be, a re-typing of the Powder list, along with the poster's comments, then we are pretty consistent: http://www.epicski.com/t/113869/best-resort-to-ski-powder/180#post_1494570

If this post over on Epic is what it appears to be, a re-typing of the Powder list, along with the poster's comments, then we are pretty consistent: http://www.epicski.c...80#post_1494570

I saw that on Epic, too, and it's great for Whitefish. Your pics all last season were pretty amazing. Hopefully we can make it out there once the girls are old enough.

Powder's list kind of cheesed out by picking locations rather than specific resorts. Um, this area with really big mountains? It's really good.