Keystone, 11/30/2012-First day for me

ColoradoHigh

So I went to Keystone out here in Colorado yesterday for my first day out this year. Left my school with my RA and someone else from the floor at around 7:30, hit up Micky D's for some McGriddles, and drove for an hour and change to Keystone.

Arrived to a a semi parking lot at around 9ish. Booted up, and got a replacement Epic Local Pass since I left mine at school ( :pissed ). We hit up the Gondola and went on a cruiser blue trail. There were only like 10 trails open but still 275 acres of skiable terrain. 10 yards down, I ate shit because I'm not used to my fat skis, and caught an edge. I regrouped and got used to my Dynastars 6th senses. The snow was incredible. It was man made, but super soft and forgiving.

We hit up every trail during the course of the day. We left at around 2ish cause we just got too tired. But for a first day, it was incredible. I fricken love Colorado. Going back to Keystone on Thursday and Friday again.

:wiggle

• Like 5

Good for you Chippy!

Haha thanks! I'm loving Colorado. Keystone, Breck, and Abasin are expected to get snow every night this week, plus Keystone is blowing snow like crazy. Hopefully they'll be fully open by my Christmas break.

I wish I had the balls to move out there when I was younger...now I'm stuck unless I win the lottery.

Do whatever you have to, just get out of NJ. Some people (most people) thought I was nuts for being middle aged and moving out here and leaving the beach. The vibe is so much calmer out here, people are happier, the sun shines all the time and there are endless outdoor things to do. Don't mean to ramble but someone like you would love it. Your wife seemed very cool when I met her and I"m sure she would love it too. The Poconos are great and actually I miss our place there more than NJ. Plenty of towns around that are very affordable.

And good for you Chippy for getting out there.

• Like 3

I will soon. Next year my youngest will be 3 and on skis. Shortly after that we will start doing some VT trips and then head out west when they are all at an age to enjoy it.

Now's the time to uproot and go! I'm beating myself for not doing it when mine was that age...

Get the little one on skis out there early and he'll be a master by the time he's a teenager.

heh, colorado sucks so far this year.... I am sure there is better skiing in new england than here at this point, but glad you are having fun

suck a dick dude.

let me elaborate.

all youve done so far in CO is ski shithole summer 'glaciers' more often than skiing when its actually winter. you complain about how much better CO could be. youve literally fell into the trap that is boulder elitist.

• Like 1

suck a dick dude.

let me elaborate.

all youve done so far in CO is ski shithole summer 'glaciers' more often than skiing when its actually winter. you complain about how much better CO could be. youve literally fell into the trap that is boulder elitist.

I ski at least twice a week in the winter. I just ski mainly resort during the winter because i prefer living rather than dying in an avalanche. I ski the BC only when I am confortable with the stability of the snowpack. I am becoming more educated on judging snow stability, and recently I have been getting out of the resort a little bit in the winter, but I am still fairly conservative in my decision making. Sorry I am not reckless enough for you.

I wasn't aware that skiing 3000+ vert of 45 degree smooth corn in May counted as skiing a "shithole summer glacier". I guess you think skiing a 1000 foot 20 degree icy groomer in early December is more fun, huh?

By the way, there are no true glaciers left in Colorado...only a few "permanent snowfields" remain, and I can count on one hand the number of times I have skied a permanent snowfield in my 6 years in Colorado.

Fuck off shadows