NASTAR discontinued at Blue?

Johnny Style

yep done :crymore: saw it on blues facebook a few weeks ago and confirmed. bottom line is there just wasn't enough participation to justify it . last two years weather really sucked for that course, I only ran it 2 days last year and 4 days the year before. as much as I like it, razorback is much steeper than your typical nastar course and I think scared some people away. it was much more successful on raceway but it just doesn't work there anymore with the summit lodge improvements - interferes too much with the burger & beer sales traffic. hopefully there will be some alternate adult citizen race events!?!

That is too bad, especially with Blue's commitment to racing. Razorback seemed like a nice way for skiers to use Razor's Edge but still let us do some NASTAR racing.

Oh well, Bear Creek it is then. I would have much preferred to put the money in Blue's hands.

Blue's pacesetter is really good. Too bad we cannot race against him anymore. In fact, their whole NASTAR crew did a great job over the years that I participated. It always seemed like a well run operation. Cheers to them. Sorry they will not be doing it again this year.

• Like 2

womp womp.....tinymoose and I are thinking about running nastar at bear creek this winter. we'll see how it goes, lol....

The BC course isn't like techy tough but it's a challenging course. It's rather flat, so the trick is to ski it in a way in which you can hold your speed through to the flats at the bottom, additionally they almost always through one gate waaaaay out right about were your at max speed. It's one of those deals were you ski and go that's not very difficult but then find you can't really move your time. The pace setter there is sometimes really really fast, occasionally they would sort of curve your results because he's just so far above everyone else.

Some really good racers there, the dude without the foot is amazing. Nastar is great and you'll be a better skier if you put some time in.

• Like 1

There's no way I would have tried Nastar at Blue with it being on Razor's Edge. At least not anytime soon. I'll ski Razor's Edge, but skiing it with gates... nah. Maybe at some point I would have gotten up the nerve to try it, but Timberline at Bear or Switch at Montage look to be more my speed. I don't want to have to deal with the gates, as well as a pretty steep (for me) pitch.

Where did they start the gates at? The top? If so yeah that's pretty crazy for public racing. Shit they market it as a double black diamond so I would think that the average person would shy away from participating.

They set the gates half way down on Razorback...which is almost more intimidating...just as steep as the first head wall but narrower and not as well lit. It ran from Razorback down to the bottom of the second head wall.