BC opening day?

patt.

Might have been longer than that Kyle, this is my fifth year and I don't ever remember a hike park.  I think I saw somebody say in 09 or so they had one.  Before my time there.

Yeah they had one back in 08 or 09.

I couldn't make it up there but a few of my buddies went up and they said it was fun.  A bit crowded when it first opened up but mellowed out and they didn't really have to wait much to hit stuff.

In case anyone is curious, I managed to get the total number of skier visits from whoever mans the BC facebook account.

Last year they reported an average of 1415 skier/snowboarder and snowtubing visits per day. The guy quoted in the article said they got about 800-900 visits per day, so he was either misinformed, making numbers up, or not counting snowtubers. Do they really make up almost half their visits with snowtubers? Seems a bit much to me. 

For comparison Camelback drew ~8000 skier/snowboarder visits on a "busy" day. 

The "ten degrees colder in the Poconos" thing was apparently made up though. 

Edited by Rowsdower

I actually agree with you on this one Doug.  I don't see the point of going that heavy with the snowmaking so early if you're not gonna open something.  I mean people would accept crappy conditions better than a bunch of blown snow sitting there unused for 2 to 3 weeks.  Ultimately their call though, I just shovel when they say get to work.

• Like 1

I actually agree with you on this one Doug.  I don't see the point of going that heavy with the snowmaking so early if you're not gonna open something.  I mean people would accept crappy conditions better than a bunch of blown snow sitting there unused for 2 to 3 weeks.  Ultimately their call though, I just shovel when they say get to work.

They might have been able to open Thanksgiving weekend for a day or two but then would still be closed now because of the warm and rain...and would be worse off from a snow standpoint.

Weather looks decent later this week for some blowing so this weekend might be a possibility depending on how the next two days go.

Don't know what you're looking at doug but I'm seeing snow for wednesday and temps in the upper 20s for the next three nights on Macungie's 5 day.  I haven't even tuned up my skis yet.

Upper 20s and snow is not ideal snowmaking temperatures. For Allentown I see low of 32 tomorrow night, 30 Wednesday night, 28 Thursday night, 28 Friday night and 28 Saturday night. That's not good snowmaking weather..this morning it was around 20 and that is very good snowmaking temperatures. I'm not trying to be a pessimist I'm being a realist.