BC opening day?

patt.

Scranton isn't the poconos...Scranton is a heat island just like the urban area of the Lehigh valley and is a valley location.

Even if I take a reporting station on top of the Pocono Plateau, the temp isn't going to vary more than half a degree. 

I can post links to the data if you want to look for yourself. 

Edited by Rowsdower

The temperature drops 3-5 degrees for every thousand feet of elevation gained so rowdowser your point is not valid and yes there are exceptions like inversions and such but elevation plays as much of a factor in an areas climate as distance from the equator and influence of the ocean.

At 9pm it was 24 at mount Pocono and 29 in Scranton. That doesn't make sense. Scranton is farther north. Al Gore is full of shit and so is John Denver

The temperature drops 3-5 degrees for every thousand feet of elevation gained so rowdowser your point is not valid and yes there are exceptions like inversions and such but elevation plays as much of a factor in an areas climate as distance from the equator and influence of the ocean.

At 9pm it was 24 at mount Pocono and 29 in Scranton. That doesn't make sense. Scranton is farther north. Al Gore is full of shit and so is John Denver

Like I said, these are monthly averages from NOAA. I don't know how else to convince  you here. These are temperature *averages* so we're dealing with days where it will be five degrees cooler, and days where it won't. 1,000 feet of elevation change can cause a drop in temp of about three degrees, but there's so many other variables that this won't always hold true in our case. 

I've definitely experienced the same differences on some days. But I also know of looking at temps where base and summit temps are the same at Blue or Camelback, or even the inverse. Once you smooth it all out you get about 3-4 degrees in difference between the Lehigh Valley and the Pokes. Give an extra degree for the summit at those mountain locations and maybe we're pushing 5 degrees on average. Not that it doesn't matter. If a storm comes through and conditions line up to give us a five degree difference then it can mean snow in the hills and rain in the valley. It happens a lot. It'll probably happen tomorrow even. But it doesn't mean it happens all the time. 

Edited by Rowsdower

Good Lord, BC needs to open just to improve the quality of this thread.  Are we really hashing out a difference of 5 degrees in snowmaking temps.  OK he was a little off, the point remains true, the pocono mountains have an easier time making snow and opening early.  Ya don't see Spring open yet do ya?

The park is built already, well at least the first edition.  They open today at 4pm.  I don't work there full time, they had the build yesterday or early today I think.  From the web cam it looks like they are set up already, 5 features I think is what they are advertising, I'm sure we will add to that very quickly.  We've got a skilled crew of both skiers and boarders this year and almost everyone is a returning park crew dude and very passionate about our BC Parks.

I remember like 05-06 season cascade was littered with little jibs and it weas awesome no kidding there would be like 30 different things to hit top to bottom my friends and I would always play SKATE it was cool as hell........then you go in the lodge and the food at bear kicks every other ski mountains ass.  New England clam chowder in a bread bowl=amazing