13-14 bcXcd adventures

mbike-ski

after seeing root's awesome watchung adventures i figured i'd post a few of my own. if you have any interest in this type of ski and thinking about getting a setup, do it! it's mtb on skis!

first one is jacobsburg late december

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=210482792163180929888.0004ee106569dbd42d44a&msa=0&ie=UTF8&ll=40.788656,-75.301132&spn=0.013947,0.027829&t=m&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small>View <a href="https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=210482792163180929888.0004ee106569dbd42d44a&msa=0&ie=UTF8&ll=40.788656,-75.301132&spn=0.013947,0.027829&t=m&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">12/21/2013 8:37am Jburg</a> in a larger map</small>

IMG_20131221_110544_zpsbee55bb5.jpg

• Like 2

hit the burg again a few weeks later with the skinny skis with a few inches of fresh snow, alot of trail breaking, a few oh shit moments and two good crashes!

track messed up but the stats recorded:

Name: 1/4/2014 11:16am Jbhrg
Activity type: cross-country skiing
Total distance: 8.04 km (5.0 mi)
Total time: 1:59:57
Moving time: 1:41:55
Average speed: 4.02 km/h (2.5 mi/h)
Average moving speed: 4.73 km/h (2.9 mi/h)
Max speed: 12.97 km/h (8.1 mi/h)
Max elevation: 170 m (559 ft)
Min elevation: 104 m (342 ft)
Elevation gain: 283 m (928 ft)
Max grade: 18 %
Min grade: -22 %
Recorded: 1/4/2014 11:16am

IMG_20140104_125441_zps9db9e03a.jpg

IMG_20140104_122717_zpsd323eff3.jpg

obligatory selfie

IMG_20140104_125446_zps0fc26776.jpg

• Like 5

looks good! i would like to get a set-up of some sort. it looks pretty peaceful out there with nobody else around.

Do it. I got my boots/bindings/skis/poles off SierraTrading Post for under $350.

Mbike nailed it. XC really is like MTB on skis.

• Like 1

Nox looks awesome as well. Good views always help. How much trail did you have to break there?

From tower rd north towards the haycock boat launch the trails were packed by bikes and hikers and were super fast at 8 am / 24 d. As the temps climbed and the trails were not as packed south towards the dam, the going got a little slow

Damn dude straight stunting, your killing it this season.

That night tour looks like a really great experience.

To everyone buy a fucking touring rig, take the dick out of your ass and go ski for real.

XC, three pin, at, whatever who fucking cares just go get some.

Keep your eyes open on an AT binding for me

• Like 1

I guess the alpine I wouldn't need to get tech boots right? I could use a current boot? That's my understanding but I figured I would tap you, JL, since you are into this pretty deep.

correct. markers, fritschis, and salomon/atomic "AT" bindings all accept a regular alpine boot. if you're looking at getting new boots for next season anyway, there are some boots that have removable soles and will be compatible with both alpine and tech bindings.

i've been looking at grabbing a pair of guardians, since they'll work with my alpine boots, actually ski well, and are not markers or fritschis. i don't care about weight really, since the amount of legit touring i'd be doing is pretty minimal, and i'd prefer to stick to an alpine binding with AT capability so i can still use it for resort skiing. i haven't ridden the current fritschi binding, but the previous version of the freeride was very plastic-y and laterally very soft. not a fan, but they are light for what they are. the dukes ski very well, are a bit heavier than a traditional alpine binding, but i don't like the aggressive stack height. hence, why i'd go for the guardians. they ski really well, are marginally lighter than the duke, and most importantly to me, they have a lower stack height. i hate feeling like i'm on stilts when i'm skiing, which is why i use pivot/fks bindings on all my stuff.

tech fittings or alpine boot ?

In a month of so I got a pair of Freeride II's for free to a good home, I can get dukes, freerides 60% off, no deals on dyna's but that's a tough nut to crack.

Don't want to jump in front of anyone, but i'd be interested in the dukes or freerides.

I'm picking up some boots next month from a buddy in new mexico that have walk/ski that, while not touring boots, will be better than my rock hard langes.

Don't want to jump in front of anyone, but i'd be interested in the dukes or freerides.

I'm picking up some boots next month from a buddy in new mexico that have walk/ski that, while not touring boots, will be better than my rock hard langes.

Did you just jump in front of me?!? I know where you live!!!!!

Sorry work today was a fucking cluster...

There is no better binding than dynafits, that said they are expensive, finicky and they have a surprisingly steep learning curve. The downhill performance is just different, dudes huck meat on them but it's tough to be confident. Unless you do a lot of long tours or a lot of laps they aren't worth it.

Freerides are the middle child, they do everything but nothing really well. Some people love them and you'll do a lot of work in them but you'll want to replace them the whole time.

Dukes are an alpine binding, you can tour on them but unless your a beast they are more suited for slack. The ft stuff are like the freerides.

Alpine wreckers work and that's the nicest thing I can say about them. Everyone I know who's bought them used them once and sold them on eBay. Plus the stack height is crazy, it's like being on stilts, you will fall.

Guardian is basically a heavily revised naxo. They were hot shit with a real sweet stride but they blew up all the time at the worst moments. The guardian does not have this problem, it's a nice touring binding that is a great alternative to the much heavier duke or the venerable freeride. It does have one issue, it's not at boot iso certified, I don't remember the iso numbers but you can only use it with an alpine boot or solly wtr boots due to the afd design.

Mfd all time was a great idea but it is really only for slack.

A word of warning all at bindings suck in some sense, they are all a compromise. They are in no sense alpine bindings with the exception of the duke and that sucks too when your going uphill.

My advice is to get a warm sleeping bag and go to tuxs, sleep over night in the lean to for two nights and see what you feel. At gear is not all that useful at tuxs, I say the same thing every year but I go in May. If somebody wants to go I'll even haul dinner. You'll need a sleeping bag and an ice axe is nice but really you just need a cold weather bag.

The freerides have been well used but are free, I will get the exact price on dukes from my sister.

Sorry work today was a fucking cluster...

There is no better binding than dynafits, that said they are expensive, finicky and they have a surprisingly steep learning curve. The downhill performance is just different, dudes huck meat on them but it's tough to be confident. Unless you do a lot of long tours or a lot of laps they aren't worth it.

Freerides are the middle child, they do everything but nothing really well. Some people love them and you'll do a lot of work in them but you'll want to replace them the whole time.

Dukes are an alpine binding, you can tour on them but unless your a beast they are more suited for slack. The ft stuff are like the freerides.

Alpine wreckers work and that's the nicest thing I can say about them. Everyone I know who's bought them used them once and sold them on eBay. Plus the stack height is crazy, it's like being on stilts, you will fall.

Guardian is basically a heavily revised naxo. They were hot shit with a real sweet stride but they blew up all the time at the worst moments. The guardian does not have this problem, it's a nice touring binding that is a great alternative to the much heavier duke or the venerable freeride. It does have one issue, it's not at boot iso certified, I don't remember the iso numbers but you can only use it with an alpine boot or solly wtr boots due to the afd design.

Mfd all time was a great idea but it is really only for slack.

A word of warning all at bindings suck in some sense, they are all a compromise. They are in no sense alpine bindings with the exception of the duke and that sucks too when your going uphill.

My advice is to get a warm sleeping bag and go to tuxs, sleep over night in the lean to for two nights and see what you feel. At gear is not all that useful at tuxs, I say the same thing every year but I go in May. If somebody wants to go I'll even haul dinner. You'll need a sleeping bag and an ice axe is nice but really you just need a cold weather bag.

The freerides have been well used but are free, I will get the exact price on dukes from my sister.

I was waiting for a mention of the cast si&i, which seems to be a pretty sweet setup if you don't mind hauling a toe piece in your pack. Dyna toe for the way up and a pivot on the way down, yes please.

If you're down for a tag along for tucks, I'm very interested. It's been on my to do list for so long now, it's about time I sack up and do it. I've got a 10° bag and I'm not afraid to strap skis to my pack and hike. Also, I can live for days at a time off nothing but clif bars, shot bloks and beer, so I think i can manage from a food standpoint.

• Like 2

I was waiting for a mention of the cast si&i, which seems to be a pretty sweet setup if you don't mind hauling a toe piece in your pack. Dyna toe for the way up and a pivot on the way down, yes please.

If you're down for a tag along for tucks, I'm very interested. It's been on my to do list for so long now, it's about time I sack up and do it. I've got a 10° bag and I'm not afraid to strap skis to my pack and hike. Also, I can live for days at a time off nothing but clif bars, shot bloks and beer, so I think i can manage from a food standpoint.

I don't know a ton about it, certainly interesting though.

For sure my normal partner is getting his knob slobbed, regularly and no longer has time for skiing and new blood is cool.

Beer has serious value at tuxs, you can trade beer for almost anything because it's heavy and there isn't much to do after dark.

• Like 2