Cheating Death

Romeo

Stretch, keep in shape, wear protective gear.  Know your abilities and take calculated risks.

When all else fails, use this pre-season workout to craft your very own bomb proof body. Being on a park crew I personally focus mostly on about 300 reps of "The Brainer".  Never know when some Joey is gonna surprise ya with the bar down while you're texting your sweetie.

http://www.powder.com/stories/fitness-exclusive-getting-really-shape-pros/

the best way to stay safe it to coat yourself in cat pee, cover yourself all over, don't forget to get behind the ears!, and then go skiing.   The cat pee acts as a force field making you essentially invincible.  Give it a try!

LOL, save it for yourself, George. I don't buy it. Thank you anyways.

How can we escape injuries while skiing? Not that I am scared of injuries but I need to know how people keep themselves safe from the most obvious risks.

#1. Stay in the lodge...preferably on the first floor so you don't have to use the steps which can be slippery.

#2. Dress like an astronaut...you do not wanna get frost bite or hypothermia...wear lots of layers. At least 7. I suggest starting with a mesh tank top..then a t shirt then a polo shirt then a fleece vest, windbreaker, puffy jacket and a Mexican blanket. If its over 50 degrees you can skip the mesh tank top.

#3. Wear full face helmet and body armor.

#4. Don't French fry when you are supposed to pizza. If you French fry when you are supposed to pizza you are going to have a bad day.

#5. If you plan on skiing in Jeans make sure they are Jordache stone washed jeans..won't necessarily keep you safe but at least you won't look like a gaper.

#6. Reread #1-#5

#7. Learn how to ski terrain that requires mandatory giant slalom turns...

stay out of the park

Sit on my landing I'll sit on your face yuk yuk yuk

the best way to stay safe it to coat yourself in cat pee, cover yourself all over, don't forget to get behind the ears!, and then go skiing.   The cat pee acts as a force field making you essentially invincible.  Give it a try!

Wow this is pure gold. Plain and simple anyway you slice it or dice it...you really should do comedy at the ramada inn

• Like 1

#1. Stay in the lodge...preferably on the first floor so you don't have to use the steps which can be slippery.

#2. Dress like an astronaut...you do not wanna get frost bite or hypothermia...wear lots of layers. At least 7. I suggest starting with a mesh tank top..then a t shirt then a polo shirt then a fleece vest, windbreaker, puffy jacket and a Mexican blanket. If its over 50 degrees you can skip the mesh tank top.

#3. Wear full face helmet and body armor.

#4. Don't French fry when you are supposed to pizza. If you French fry when you are supposed to pizza you are going to have a bad day.

#5. If you plan on skiing in Jeans make sure they are Jordache stone washed jeans..won't necessarily keep you safe but at least you won't look like a gaper.

#6. Reread #1-#5

#7. Learn how to ski terrain that requires mandatory giant slalom turns...

Sit on my landing I'll sit on your face yuk yuk yuk

Wow this is pure gold. Plain and simple anyway you slice it or dice it...you really should do comedy at the ramada inn

Masterpiece

Most important thing to not getting hurt is knowing how to fall

Funny to say but also very accurate and true in terms of just about every extreme sport.  I once saw a bmx racer tank it on a blacktop parking lot going like 20mph, dude rolled like a steamroller with speed I didn't think humanly possible for about 20 feet, he jumped up and dusted himself off without one spot of roadrash.  It really blew all our teenage minds at once.

• Like 1

Try to avoid skiing on crowded times like weekends and on the easier blue trails where beginners first step out of their comfort zone. Biggest risk is other people who don't know what they are doing.

Also don't get your bindings set too tight. Better to have them pop off more easily than not easily enough, if you want to avoid injury.

Funny to say but also very accurate and true in terms of just about every extreme sport. I once saw a bmx racer tank it on a blacktop parking lot going like 20mph, dude rolled like a steamroller with speed I didn't think humanly possible for about 20 feet, he jumped up and dusted himself off without one spot of roadrash. It really blew all our teenage minds at once.

yup. I used to rollerblade a bunch back in the day. There is no way to really safely bail on skates, so you learn pretty quick how to take a hit that will cause the least amount of injury. I've had my fair share of hard hits skiing and mountain biking, but I've definitely pulled a lot of awkward self preservation maneuvers and kept myself mostly unharmed plenty of times too.
  • Like 1

yup. I used to rollerblade a bunch back in the day. There is no way to really safely bail on skates, so you learn pretty quick how to take a hit that will cause the least amount of injury. I've had my fair share of hard hits skiing and mountain biking, but I've definitely pulled a lot of awkward self preservation maneuvers and kept myself mostly unharmed plenty of times too.

First day on rollerblades ~21 years ago I was going too fast and couldn't really brake adequately and followed my skiers instinct to bail - wearing only wrist guards. OUCH!

Before trying it again, I picked up some knee and elbow pads, and did not try that maneuver again.

After a couple years I was done on rollerblades entirely.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

I used to enjoy rollerblading in the summer cause it was the closest thing to skiing. I first had Veraflex crap ass toys r is blades the. Got the rollerblade brand zetra blades and then the macro ladies which were fast with better wheels and bearings..had those till first year of college. Aside from jumping off smallish flights of steps..like the four steps in front of my house, I mainly liked going down hills..I never got into the grind thing..I did play a little hockey on them but only a little.

Cannot cheat death.... if you ski you will die.....I had a friend who once smoked four whole marijuanas and then peeled his skin off and fed it to his dog.....Ban the devils cabbage !!!!

Seriously though if you ski long enough shit is bound to happen, the stuff you can see coming is generally ok, there are ways to take a fall and ways to deal with falls in sketch ball areas. It's the random shit that comes from hubris, inattentive behavior that is gonna cause death. Then there is just random shit you can't do nothing about.

I know everyone out there has story so post that shit up and make this thread interesting.

I was at Brighton many moons ago dicking around inbetween Millicent and Crest Express, if you know that area it's a fucking playground of rock formations. If you take the high traverse across scree and do a short walk you hit this area with a solid 30ft and a narrow ass rock chute. I wanted the fucking chute, like straight line shit, cousin has the camera so Kodak courage is going 110%.

Access is shit, little platform not wide enough for the boards, I don't fucking care I'm gonna jump turn in. Billionth of a second later the right ski hits the wall of the chute and goes flying, FUCK. I didn't even blink lifted the leg up and straightlined that bitch on one board, never even felt the 3-4ft drop about 3/4 way down. Hit the run out and I'm fucking having a heart attack realizing what just happened. Had you asked me ahead of time I don't think I would have been able to ski that on one leg but the body is interesting when you have no choice.

I should have blasted my head off any number of things, I should probably at best broken something and at worst been a vegetable but that's life and now I got this sweet picture to laugh about.

RXGBCmA.jpg

Edited by Johnny Law
  • Like 1