JF 1/15/2016

C1erArt

For GSS, Floyds is in great shape but coming in to it Solitude has a trail wide jump that was a little unexpected. River shot is a little choppy without that nice double drop that gave it a little interest last year.

Floyds is the run of the day, 53.8 ( but I think Skitracks is reading high on the new phone

IMG_3693_zpsexvrniot.jpg

• Like 2

First day on skis. Kind of warm and quiet on the slopes. Lots of snow slopes are fairly wide unlike last year when they started off narrow and the edges were never filled in.

Nice day, legs are noodles though

IMG_3690_zpsjwaniznx.jpg

I might have a shot of you skiing Floyd's, what were you wearing? 

• Like 1

Clocked you at 104.2 mph. Was over there for a bit shooting some photos late morning.

I wasn't there, I mighta broken 104 Kph a few years ago when AJ brought his radar gun. We need to bust that out again sometime. I was hitting 6 g's on Main Street yesterday, Almost pulled a Bode on one ski.

I wasn't there, I mighta broken 104 Kph a few years ago when AJ brought his radar gun. We need to bust that out again sometime. I was hitting 6 g's on Main Street yesterday, Almost pulled a Bode on one ski.

Race nets are being set on the side of Floyd's as we speak, time to have no regrets and just send it. Safety first right?

• Like 2

Race nets are being set on the side of Floyd's as we speak, time to have no regrets and just send it. Safety first right?

Safety nets???? I'll leave the helmet at home! I'm trolling threads, I'll prolly never get back up to JFBB, at least not this season.

• Like 1

Race nets.  Soooo, closing down half of East Mt tomorrow for the race team?

^^ this. it was totally aweful when they started to do this last season. we complained numerous times to the race coach and management that closing off Floyd's unfairly limits the amount of expert terrain available to the public. also, the team frequently kept the trail closed well into the afternoon, after there training was done. very poor form. the mtn should really offer a discount on the lift tix the days the racers are on that trail.

• Like 2

Race nets.  Soooo, closing down half of East Mt tomorrow for the race team?

^^ this. it was totally aweful when they started to do this last season. we complained numerous times to the race coach and management that closing off Floyd's unfairly limits the amount of expert terrain available to the public. also, the team frequently kept the trail closed well into the afternoon, after there training was done. very poor form. the mtn should really offer a discount on the lift tix the days the racers are on that trail.

Will all of East be open Sunday?

Yes Telstar and Floyd's will be closed until no later than 11am Saturday and Sunday for yup you guessed it the race team... It's unfortunate but holding them to strict times of usage to make sure it doesn't durn into an all day affair or even an afternoon thing. It's either we close Floyd's and Telstar for a shorter time or close Challenge for a longer period of time during the day. It sucks I know, I've even have had my fair share of times being used as 'race gate' by some of the kids while I was shooting photos. 

Edited by weedreimer
  • Like 1

Started a little late, had a web meeting, got on the snow about 10:30 just as they finished putting up the orange room on Floyds. Blue and black parka, black pants, gray helmet, gray Elan skis and bright Leki poles. Probably most notable for singing to myself on the slopes.

Try to do something about Solitude - I'm getting too old to launch myself but not old enough to slow down.

Number one reason i went on to explore a season pass at a different mountain.  I really like Frost, but when the off trail stuff isnt good, the place will really start to close in on you quick.  

Yes Telstar and Floyd's will be closed until no later than 11am Saturday and Sunday for yup you guessed it the race team... It's unfortunate but holding them to strict times of usage to make sure it doesn't durn into an all day affair or even an afternoon thing. It's either we close Floyd's and Telstar for a shorter time or close Challenge for a longer period of time during the day. It sucks I know, I've even have had my fair share of times being used as 'race gate' by some of the kids while I was shooting photos. 

At least you are honest about it.  last year on the same day, they closed Telstar, solitude, Floyds, and Challenge, (which in turn meant challange glade as well).  Frost is pretty small to begin with, but this was really a kick in the balls.  I imagine people that purchased a day pass were up in arms, as much as i was.  This was the same day weather personality Cecily Tynan got hauled off of Rivershot, since all of the East Mountain traffic was funneled into one slope on an already crowded day.  

• Like 2

For GSS, Floyds is in great shape but coming in to it Solitude has a trail wide jump that was a little unexpected. River shot is a little choppy without that nice double drop that gave it a little interest last year.

Floyds is the run of the day, 53.8 ( but I think Skitracks is reading high on the new phone IMG_3693_zpsexvrniot.jpg

Thanks for the photo C1er I always like your reports. Are you still doing some business in Montana??

We had a radar gun out at one of the PASR days at Jackson frost circa 2009. It's about 15 mph slower than raZors at blue but still fast. My uncle who used to patrol at Jack Frost used to talk about Floyds like it was a no fall zone on Denali...legendary tales of that run.

Montana's done, dams on the Missouri are generating electrons for Northwestern Energy now instead of PPL,  Just finishing up a project in rural northwestern Alabama.  Quite a difference, good venison jerky there though.

When Floyds is bumped up it is like Denali, but pretty nice when smooth.  When they close Floyds, River Shot becomes unrunable due to the size and quality of the crowds.  Too narrow, and I hate it when people do edge to edge turns.

• Like 2

Don't thInk Davenport has been involved for a few years.

Looks like the older race team lost their hangout in the cafe on the building south side. The whole area is waitress serve only (wait to be seated) and has lockable glass doors. Also lost the storage bins on the side near that door. More floor space going to sales, going to be pretty crowded on weekends.

But on a brighter note, I like how they groomed downhill left of the towers at the bottom of Thunderbolt (and Exhibition also). Makes it easier to stay out of slower skiers way.

IMG_3699_zpsktkmfmoc.jpg

They also groomed to the right of tower 6 above Rivershot and made it fairly wide. Gives a little variety on that run.

IMG_3696_zpsyrytkkvh.jpg

• Like 1

This was the same day weather personality Cecily Tynan got hauled off of Rivershot, since all of the East Mountain traffic was funneled into one slope on an already crowded day.  

oh, yeah....you and i saw that from the lift. that was a very crazy day. maybe she could have sued, lol!

Don't thInk Davenport has been involved for a few years.

Looks like the older race team lost their hangout in the cafe on the building south side. The whole area is waitress serve only (wait to be seated) and has lockable glass doors. Also lost the storage bins on the side near that door. More floor space going to sales, going to be pretty crowded on weekends.

I can't say I feel bad for those racers loosing the hangout. If he has not been a part of the race team what does he do now?

While I agree with everyone...sucks that some of the best terrain at frost is limited during prime ski time, If I can play devil's advocate here for a moment, where else could you put a JFBB "race team" ? No trail IMO at JF or BB is conducive to racing. While I hate the fact the the racers close off Razors, razors is a true race trail so I can understand somewhat. For better or for worse (definitely worse in this instance) I think they're trying to make the best of what they have.

Edited by RidgeRacer
  • Like 1

While I agree with everyone...sucks that some of the best terrain at frost is limited during prime ski time, If I can play devil's advocate here for a moment, where else could you put a JFBB "race team" ? No trail IMO at JF or BB are conducive to racing. While I hate the fact the the racers close off Razors, razors is a true race trail so I can understand somewhat. For better or for worse (definitely worse in this instance) I think they're trying to make the best of what they have.

You don't need much terrain to set up gates for practice. A lot of the best racers come from small Midwestern hills. Even ski Dubai has race training.

You don't need much terrain to set up gates for practice. A lot of the best racers come from small Midwestern hills. Even ski Dubai has race training.

True but I'm talking about frost specifically... It's a "staircase" type of mountain (flat, pitch, flat etc). I would assume that's not the best terrain for racing (speed) . I have no idea however as the extent of my racing is the bronze freaking medal that I won in NASTAR at Montage.