3/6....still winter.

Maybe try an widen your stance a little for more stability and more angulation.

Please don't attempt to get a wider stance in that type of snow....

In powder and deep crud a narrower stance would actually be better for you. More Rotary, less edging

Save the wider stance for carving turns. More edging, less Rotary

Fuck it...just try out a bunch of shit and you'll find something that works for you...

Please don't attempt to get a wider stance in that type of snow....

In powder and deep crud a narrower stance would actually be better for you. More Rotary, less edging

Save the wider stance for carving turns. More edging, less Rotary

Fuck it...just try out a bunch of shit and you'll find something that works for you...

What level instructor were you again?? I was laying down railroad tracks today..GSS turns didn't you read my real time report. I made six turns on switchback instead of three.

Like I said...fuck it.

"My students often widen their stance in crud, thinking it’ll give them better balance. In fact, in crud you want a narrow stance. When your skis are close together, forming a single platform under you, they’re more likely to follow the same path and encounter the same snow. /// Andrew Halmi, Mount Pleasant Ski School, Pennsylvania"

When I have taken the occasional PSIA lesson I have found it very frustrating that they try to insist on re teaching me from ground zero on trails with no incline rather than teaching me how to do the stuff I like to do a little better.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

When I have taken the occasional PSIA lesson I have found it very frustrating that they try to insist on re teaching me from ground zero on trails with no incline rather than teaching me how to do the stuff I like to do a little better.

Wow that's crazy that would frustrate the hell out of me...I've seen the race team doing one leg drills on flat terrain and it looks like torture to me. It's like a dog on a leash...when I was 9 I had a first time on skis lesson at big Boulder but already knew what I was doing cause I was an avid roller skater. Then when I was 11 at blue had a lesson when my middle school ski club came up to blue and part way through he lesson me and my friend ditched the lesson and went down Burma road. It was frustrating because we kept stopping or waiting for people who fell and I only had a few hours till the bus was bringing me back.

Are you certain it was PSIA? Not every instructor is. I'd wager way more than half aren't. Even if they are if they aren't necessarily certified. It's a real commitment, you have to pay dues, have to complete continuing education which is more time/money. Yes, sometimes I feel like a dog on a leash and get impatient or frustrated in training clinics. But once the leash is off the rest of my skiing life is forever better. Small investment pays dividends forever.

To your point, and it really depends on what you are trying to accomplish, every movement in higher end skiing does come from the ground up. I really can't imagine how to break years of bad habits in someone's skiing without backing things up a step. If you don't have the patience then you shouldn't bother. Improvement isn't magic, it's work.

No I am not certain of their certification. And I understand why they want to do it that way. But it is frustrating because what it is not what I am looking for, and it is honestly hard for me to see the connect between making a smoother turn on a green trail and developing stronger abilities on the hardest stuff on the mountain, which is what I spend most of my time skiing if I am not skiing with my kids.

Wait you have to pay to be a ski instructor. I guess with the training you can pick up independent clients and cut the ski area out of the deal.

I never thought about it but most of the rippers out at Jackson hole were probably trained by a PSIA certified instructor.

No I am not certain of their certification. And I understand why they want to do it that way. But it is frustrating because what it is not what I am looking for, and it is honestly hard for me to see the connect between making a smoother turn on a green trail and developing stronger abilities on the hardest stuff on the mountain, which is what I spend most of my time skiing if I am not skiing with my kids.

Hardest terrain here is still relatively mellow terrain in the scheme of things.

It could be a million things. If it's because you are pushing your tails around instead of steering your tips or because you are rotating your upper body instead of turning the feet more than the upper body... It could be tipping your body too much into turns and you need to quiet that down... Could be a balance issue... Could be any combo of the above. Either way fixing any of those issues ain't happening on steeps.

It could be a million things. If it's because you are pushing your tails around instead of steering your tips or because you are rotating your upper body instead of turning the feet more than the upper body... It could be tipping your body too much into turns and you need to quiet that down... Could be a balance issue... Could be any combo of the above. Either way fixing any of those issues ain't happening on steeps.

Thanks Matty

I feel once you have some of the basics down, private lessons help improve things if your having an issue. Unfortunately major $$$. Then the tip. The resort should pay ski instructors more. 

Mom you up there again today?? Most of my Sunday's at blue are on like 3-4 hours of sleep. Gotta go out on the town Saturday nights..dance and shit. I'll be back at blue in like four or five hours.

Not today.. Prolly not tomorrow either. 80 degrees, yuck.

And something about the Timmy bus.

The Timmy bus always reminded me of Timmy from South Park...I also like how Robert2 was offended when in April Blue asked him to remove his stuff from his locker.

post-512-0-51212600-1457537480_thumb.jpeg

I also liked asking Robert2 how Floyds was and he'd be like,"shut the fuck up GSS I don't do blacks" the dude would probably find that comment racist.

I think the older you learn to ski the harder it is. Most people I know who began skiing as kids have no issues skiing at Mach 5 but people who became skiers as adults aren't as comfortable with going super fast.

I feel once you have some of the basics down, private lessons help improve things if your having an issue. Unfortunately major $$$. Then the tip. The resort should pay ski instructors more. 

Not today.. Prolly not tomorrow either. 80 degrees, yuck.

Resorts don't need to pay ski instructors more because they already get a free season pass and food discounts. If I was a level three or above instructor I would offer private lessons for something reasonable like $25 an hour and cut the ski resort out of the mix.

PSIA teaches you that people learn differently, and people that go the PSIA route prefer to learn that way.  I learned to race by watching youtube videos of pro ski racers and I've seen pretty good results for never having gone through PSIA or a race program.  I learned to ski bumps trial by error.  There is no right way to learn.  I focus on the result, not the mechanics.  I don't care that my right hand wasn't positioned in the correct place.  I care that I fucking crushed that last gate in the fastest way possible.  

'Dude, I realize that PSIA is one way to decent skiing, but you have to acknowledge it's not the only way, or necessarily the best way.

• Like 1