Bretton Woods Trail Report 3/21-3/23

Mess

Had a great trip to New Hampshire.  The ride up on Sunday was not too bad(about 7 hours and 30 minutes).  We had booked our stay at the Lodge at Bretton Woods but the lodge was closed so we were upgraded to the Mountain Washington Resort.  The place was awesome.  We paid $119 a night for a room that cost $350. Hotel had a heated outdoor pool.  We were swimming outdoors in 38 degree temps with Mount Washington in the background.  They also through in a buffet breakfast that cost $25 per person.  Pretty unbelievable.

Skiing was perfect for my family.  It snowed about 1-2 inches on day 1.  We started off skiing the green trails Bigger Ben and Bretton Woods.  They were fun trails and would be considered blue trails in the Poconos. We then when to the top of the mountain to take runs on Avalon and Range view.  We did most of the trails on the mountain that were open.  when my father and son took a break I went over to the open black diamonds.  First run was on Bode's run.  It was fairly steep but only for a short section.  Reminded me of river shot but had a steeper headwall. Next run was Zealand and it probably should have been a blue.  I also did McIntyres ridge.  This was a little more technical and would have been more fun in better snow.  on the bottom portion of the hill I skied Darby's drop which was a really steep trail but once again pretty short.  Deception Bowl was fun but once again conditions made the trail much more challenging.  We skied until 3:30.  The lift lines were non existent.  It was a great first day.

Day 2 was much of the same but it snowed very lightly.  Trails softened up pretty quickly and a lot of snow was pushed off the trail to show huge ice spots and some rocks/bare spots.  On our way to dinner that night we decided to look for the Old Man of the Mountain in Franconia Notch. We could not find the Face on the mountain because it fell off in 2003. Franconia is where Cannon mountain is located.  Cannon looked a lot more challenging than Bretton Woods.  If ever head back to New Hampshire I would want to ski Cannon for a day.

Day 3 day started with a wintry mix.  The freezing rain felt like bb's shooting against my face.  My son and I did a few green runs to end our season.  The trails were groomed but very hard frozen chord. Nice and fast but a little more challenging to stop.  

During our stay 31 trails were opened.  Mostly green and blue trails.  There were only 5 black diamonds open.  The more challenging terrain on west mountain, the eastern side of mountain and all glades were closed.  They have 31 marked gladed trails on mountain.  I can see where some people would choose to go to a steeper mountain but when all of the glades are open would think even the most advanced skier could have a great time in Bretton Woods.  It is a perfect mountain for families.  My 65 year old father had a great time.  He likes Vermont but does not like the lack of Green trails.  This mountain gave him variety.  My 8 year old son also got a "big mountain experience" especially when compared to our regular mountain of Jack Frost and Montage.

The only thing that could have made this trip any better is if we saw a moose.  There were moose crossing signs everywhere and apparently a lot of accidents with them in the area.

The white mountains area is beautiful and I am glad we made the trip.  Mount Washington and the other presidential mountains reminded had the appearance of the rockies.  Of course they are about 4000' smaller than the average mountains in colorado but snow capped, jagged and no trees in the alpine zone.post-5190-0-16951200-1458821835_thumb.jpg

post-5190-0-88940700-1458821861_thumb.jpgpost-5190-0-99003400-1458821919_thumb.jpg

• Like 7