11-Dec Huntah

tarponhead

Rolled into the lot at 8:05AM and started booting up, damn it's cold and damp! The kinda cold that freezes your thumbs right off.
There's a valley fog lingering from the few guns they still have going that's obscuring most of the mountain except for the peak.

Got my ticket and strolled out to the Kaatskill 6-pack. There's already a line of season pass holders waiting for the OK to load.
This looks strangely familiar to another mountain I frequent...
As I rode up, I tried to get some bearings as I've never been here before, looks nice.
As I broke through the top of the valley fog the sun appeared and what ho, the first titty sparkles of the season! Yes, life is good again!

I figured I wouldn't push the limits first thing, so I eyed Belt Parkway and thought it best to take a run down it.
I had noticed the Blue-like grooming as I came overtop it while riding the lift, so knew to avoid that rutted section.
Cord was rock hard and later found out from Tarpon that this trail will be avoided at all costs for the rest of the day...didn't bother me!

Next run was Hell Gate, 7th Ave and Kennedy. Snow was MUCH better over here. Lots of racers out getting early season legs in shape, even eyed a BM race team member later in the day.

Next I ran Cliff which wasn't bad at all either, down to Gun Hill which had a few bumps at the top and some, what looked like ice, but ended up being quite edgeable.

Took another run down Cliff and picked up Eisenhower this time further down.  Race team was practicing on this run.  Nice whoop-de-do's at the top and bottom off of which you could catch some nice air.

Met up with Tarpon about this time and we did a run down Jimmy Huega, which was still a bit hard, especially around the U-turn corner, which reminded me of Burma.  Meh.

We eventually rode up the 'F-lift' triple and saw some people and patrollers coming down Milky Way under the lift and found the way in.

Began lapping the whales on Milky Way which ended up to be the run we kept coming back to, since the rest of the slopes had been skied off and it all was turning into a slip show.

They were blowing on East Side Drive above Milky Way and we were tempted to poach that as we see others doing.

As we were riding up to do just that, we see one of our group standing there with a patroller.

It comes to pass that we find out the patroller had pulled his ticket for running the "closed" East Side Drive and proceeded to tell him to tell all his friends that "Hunter is the worst ski resort in the East!" WTF?

About 2:00pm, the flakes started flying pretty good and the legs and feet were about done.  Not being too fond of the sketchy road to the mountain, Tarpon and I decided to throw in the towel and bug out.

One more run down Jimmy Huega and we peaced-out about 2:30pm.

Not bad for my first day out, 8:30am - 2:30pm, 17 runs, 25,000 vert. according to watch.

8306327ef836da535a613f5f6251b1bd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by indiggio
  • Like 5

Was up there Saturday with a car load of kids.  

Good time.  Little icy on the head walls, and that west side parkway trail was a mess, but Eisenhower drive, and the Minya-something-something over to the other lift were fun, and the snow on the main bottom trail (7th ave?) was remarkably good all day.  

So strange - lines till 11:30, then ski-on the rest of the day.  Well worth the drive.