04-Jan whiteface

tarponhead

Left house at 5AM, got to lodge at 9:30. Booted up and riding gondi up with son #2 by 10. Light rain at base, 35F at base. Ride up and not much colder but snowing up on little WF summit. Snow is spring soft. Nice cause I really thought it would be glazed but temps not cold enough so all good. Run mountain run pod for a while and then hop on summit quad. Upper skyward is complete icy crap. Searching for snow to make a turn. But lower half of upper skyward was pretty damn good, especially on the edges/sides. Niagara is equally good which is a good thing since that section got some giddy up. Bumps on victoria really good (skiers left, natural). Lower valley even had seeded bumps which on gentle pitch and spring conditions was stupid fun. This is good cause the Mrs is rolling with me tomorrow afternoon and I can't take her out of the lower valley so at least I that. Meet up with son #1 and his crew from Burlington and opt to do the death slide again on upper skyward to get to fun stuff lower down.

Won't bore you with the rest. After a few hours they opted to brake for lunch. Since I was up since 3:30 if I stop I won't come back out so I opted to eat on the Gondi and stay out. Squalls really pumping by 1 PM. Skied till 3 in my own. Last run was the blue runs off the main summit since legs were cooked. Equally shitty as upper skyward but no fun stuff to ski lower down so I know to stay away from tomorrow. Temps gonna drop to lower teens at mountain tonight so bye bye spring conditions. But mountain ops will be pumping out fine product tonight so who knows, maybe be ok tomorrow. Nap time now then taking the whole crew to Lisa G's for diner. A damn fine day!

For whatever reason I can't post pics. Maybe try later

• Like 4

What an incredible day. Loaded Gondi at 9 AM with #2. No bull shit on the mountain report:; legit 4". Most was groomed in except bumps and the mountain run pod. Our second run we headed down wilderness. Holy Mother of God! 4" plus a 21 gun salute all night (and all day apparently) in dry COLD weather made for fantastic turns! Can't call them powder turns. But you floated and heard no sound so close enough. With the 1.5 hour exception when I skied with the Mrs, we literally ran wilderness for the whole day. 4" on ice will last only so long as evidenced by the mountain run trail which got scraped quick., But 4" on ice and topped with high quality whales is a whole other story. Herbs can't ski it so we and a few others had it all to ourselves the whole day. To good to stop for lunch, ate on Gondi. Caught one of the last gondi rides at 3:30 for our last run down wilderness for the day. Mountain Ops was setting up more hoses at the top of the wilderness access. I skied over and thanked them for an incredible day. Can't believe I skied basically one trail on a mountain that size for the whole day. Can't hear to good out of my left ear though... By the way, summit quad on wind hold all day

e5f79b3512f75a763eb02cd432524c77.jpg

672afa5d243a08f26ecf097c9e6d406f.jpg

f8c4676091c98fe6a77a9fe8f54a8b54.jpg

Edited by tarponhead
  • Like 1