Free vtmark or Rental car rates out west

theprogram4

Since rental car rates out west is the title of this discussion, I have a question. Staying in SLC, I wasn't going to rent a car, as the public transportation sounds pretty good. Then I thought I want to do a couple days hiking instead of skiing. I can rent a front wheel drive mid size sedan for $200 the whole week. Think that will work out? I did request chains.

UTA is ok, but you will spend some time on the bus to get to the mountain, and you are on their schedule.  It clearly works, but i wasnt a huge fan, i would definitely rather have a car.  Chains.....i highly doubt you will leave the rental place with a set of chains.  To them, you might as well have requested a hammer to beat the outside of the car with.  Rental companies dislike having chains on their cars, not saying it doesnt happen, but when chains break or are not installed correctly, they will beat the living shit out of the front fenders.  

a couple options.....

Rent an AWD, downgrade when you get there based on the forecast.  its much harder to upgrade to the AWD when you booked the smart car, and its snowing.  

Stick with the smart car, and take the bus if its going to snow.  Just try to get on the earliest bus to hopefully beat some people.  

I already got like 1/4 of my work done for today and am bored so looked up rental car rates in Salt Lake City March 7-14 on Orbitz. $300ish for a midsize SUV for a week is a bargain. A lot more convenience having a rental car vs taking buses everyday to the resorts and can see more stuff. Do you drive an AWD vehicle here? I just like it better in snow for piece of mind. I have no idea how to use or handle chains.

attachicon.gifimage.png

Just be careful which company you rent from.  those prices are attractive due to the fact you have to take a shuttle to get to their lot.  i find that to be a pain in the ass as well.  

here are the car companies for SLC.  Some are also not open 24 hrs, so a delayed late flight, or an early departure could cause problems.  

https://www.slcairport.com/parking-and-transportation/rental-cars-2/

Book a car without giving a CC for deposit or whatever.  Its so easy to cancel, rebook, and rebook again.