Trip Report - 1/15/2018

saltyant

Today's conditions started off extremely spectacular and totally rad, and then went downhill as the day went on. But the best part of the day was my reunion with Ski2Live.

Won the first civilian chair of the day at Stevenson Lift, despite not being first in line. Within a split second of getting the all clear from the lift attendants, I raced toward the lift while the 10 other people in line lollygagged around. I even had an empty chair behind me!

First run on Nile Mile was sa weet. I played the Rainbow Road song from Super Mario Kart as I skied all that nice corduroy. Conditions were by far the best of the weekend. Somehow the Camelback grooming team worked their magic and brought back the nice soft snow that I love. Second run was Cliffhanger, which was a beautiful blanket of soft corduroy which was just oh so nice. Repeated Cliffhanger a few more times, and then skied Rhododendron Glen, which was a vast wide sheet of more soft untouched cord. The first hour was fantastic skiing after that stupid warm-up last week.

I headed over to the Sullivan side and skied some of the steeps, which were still in decent shape. But by mid-morning, some of the runs were starting to get small piles of snow, and I found the resulting snow difficult to make turns on. Then at the end of Big Pocono, near the lift so everyone could see, I took my hardest fall of the season. I have no idea what happened, but all of a sudden the front of my skis were crossed and that was it. Boom! Fortunately I was unscathed, but my thumb hurt a little bit and now hardly hurts at all. But this hard fall definitely killed my mojo for the day, and I started skiing much worse from that point on and just could not get out of the backseat.

I took a break at the hotel and checked PASR to see what Ski2Live was up to, using the free wifi to save data. Ski2Live said he was in the main lodge, so I made my way over there and eventually found him. I didn't recognize him at first without his helmet on and not wearing glasses, but his red sweater was easy to find. We skied about 8 runs or so together, mostly taking the slower lifts so we didn't have to stand in the long lines. Our runs were Big Pocono, The Rocket, Honeymoon to Lower Cleopatra, Upper/Lower Cleopatra, Birches, and a few others.

By this time, I was starting to feel fatigued from not eating and the snow conditions, so I decided to head out. Ski2Live showed me another lodge that I didn't know about near the Sunbowl (gaper area), and along the way I also found a new terrain park so next time I'm just gonna send it. Ski2Live and I went our separate ways until next time, and I stopped at Wawa for a $1 coffee with hazelnut creamer, 5 buffalo chicken bites, and a jalapeno cheddar pretzel. Overall it was a fun day, but I found the snow to be rough at the end of my session.

Edited by saltyant

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

That was neat. I had no idea Salty was a gamer.  You can play real life Mario kart in Japan. 

IMG_2278.JPG

Nice, I can do this after heliskiing in Japan. Corduroy has always reminded me of Rainbow Road in the first Mario Kart, so I finally downloaded the song last night. Every now and then I ski to video game music and it's just like I'm in a video game. That's so cool, isn't it?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

Nice, I can do this after heliskiing in Japan. Corduroy has always reminded me of Rainbow Road in the first Mario Kart, so I finally downloaded the song last night. Every now and then I ski to video game music and it's just like I'm in a video game. That's so cool, isn't it?

That's rad!!!  When do you leave for Stowe??

1 minute ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Nice day. 20 runs. Cliffhanger and Marge were the best. Enjoyed skiing and riding the lift with Salty. Good times.

Thanks Ski2Live, had a good time today also. Let me know next time you're at CB. Hopefully I'll ski much better next time, since my performance was admittedly shoddy today.

15 minutes ago, RootDKJ said:

Do you use your pole straps?  If so... stop. 

No, I don't use pole straps. I tried using them a few times after dropping my poles, but it's just too much of a hassle and that's something gapers do.

Although I did get funny looks at Blue on Thursday when I had both poles in one hand at the end of a run.

Edited by saltyant

27 minutes ago, saltyant said:

No, I don't use pole straps. I tried using them a few times after dropping my poles, but it's just too much of a hassle and that's something gapers do.

Although I did get funny looks at Blue on Thursday when I had both poles in one hand at the end of a run.

Yeah nobody gets the both poles in one hand thing. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, saltyant said:

I'm impressed you read that much. I didn't think anyone read these anymore except for Steeze and eaf.

It's classic. Same as with the essay in the Sally's thread it's a sin to even think for a moment that CB may be better in some way. For if one does, the light will dim, and the elephants will fall.

Just now, eaf said:

It's classic. Same as with the essay in the Sally's thread it's a sin to even think for a moment that CB may be better in some way. For if one does, the light will dim, and the elephants will fall.

This has fucking zero to do with the greatest Nintendo game of all time. More specifically, MarioKart 64. So go get back up on your elephant and move along. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbbpyziNOtHIDSP3xg3vu

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

This has fucking zero to do with the greatest Nintendo game of all time. More specifically, MarioKart 64. So go get back up on your elephant and move along. 

Yadayada. It's not the first time when you "stop reading" and have to announce it to everybody.

12 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

While I've played the SNES and N64 versions ad nauseum, Rainbow Road on SNES is just so much better. The N64's version is way too long and watered down with walls along side the track. Also, the newer Mario Karts are just way too cartoony for me. I'm old school when it comes to video games.

Edited by saltyant