Nile Mile Challenge

Timeless

Specifically for CB'ers, although I guess anyone else could nominate a (long) trail at their home mountain.

I have an idea for a season long, fun challenge. There should be no judging unless it gets more serious as time goes on. Do this for personal improvement and for fun.

How quickly do you think you can ski / ride Nile Mile?

Before the snow arrives (so no-one can get any baseline), we should all post a time that we think we are capable of getting down Nile.

respect will be duly given to those that have acheived their target time, and for the fastest time acheived.

Being old and slow, I'll take a first stab and set my initial mark at 4 minutes dead. I would have gone for 3 minutes but I don't know if this is realistic, 20mph being a fairly fast average given the flat bits at the top and near the bottom.

any takers? maybe we could have a late season run-off for those that claim the fastest runs....

I can't have a goal for it, but if you count ski off chair to ski into lift line, I am sure it can be done in three minutes or less.  You need to establish an official start and finish.

31981[/snapback]

don't fancy a trip out east to show up the youngsters?

I would suggest the "bench" just past cliffy, to the bottom of the last drop. this will avoid any crowd issues and boarders moaning about time to strap in.

I think I would do very good, I wouldn't know how to estimate that kind of time though. If your a snowboarder you deffinitley have a big disadvantage seeing as how you have to strap in and get speed on the first flat part on nile mile. One time I was riding up the lift with some old guy and my friends and we were talking about racing down one on the front four and he said if you want to make it interesting try holding your breathe for one run down. It turns out its very possible

Edited by LineSki

I think I would do very good, I wouldn't know how to estimate that kind of time though. If your a snowboarder you deffinitley have a big disadvantage seeing as how you have to strap in and get speed on the first flat part on nile mile.

i dont know what your talking about ive gone down nile 1 footed :D:D:D i agree with sid. i think less than 3 min. very possible :sprint , but only problem is dont get pulled over by patrollers. :wiggle

I remember taking laps on Nile without making any unnecessary turns.  I suggest having it on a run that would have consequences for straightlining (Rocket?  Marjies?)

31996[/snapback]

:lol:lol:lol

what are you talking about those are the 2 easyest trials at cb to strait line i never make turns on either :nana:nana:nana

Lots of big talking, no commitment to numbers....

are you all :o

or :unsure:

or :ugh2gay:

BTW the reason I suggested Nile was that it's long enough that small diffrences in how the run was taken will have less effect, a lot of the people on this board would be fairly close if it was just a case of straightlining one of the front four.

Now cliffy is a different matter, but this wasn't meant to encourage suicidal headlong charges down the hill and straight into ER. :no

My class last year did nile in 3:30, I'm sure if you were alone, and not hitting all the walls, making turns etc it you could get it around 2. Kind of pointless if you ask me though. Now fastest time down Pharoah/bactrian, thats a worthwhile race. It not only takes some riding ability, it also takes getting there at the right time for conditions and crowds. Best natural 'race' coarse on the mountain IMO, assuming the conditions/crowd are right. Thats the trail I ride on powder days.

Prove it to me when I come home.

32023[/snapback]

I know you like to bust people's balls, but there is no need to prove this. So many members of this board have witnessed him do it. He even did it at White Lightning at Montage, which is absoloutly the steepest thing in PA, and rivals some of the greats at Killington. He went straight down. And it's not exactly a short trail either. He just goes straight down all of the Diamonds at Camelback, without a single turn. His jacket makes so much noise because it is flapping so much. When Ski999 is impressed by a snowboarder, you know they are good. He was infact impressed with all the boarders that rode with us at Montage.... :yes