Vail buys Nutting's 7 Springs/Hidden Valley/Laurel Mountain

abe

On 12/9/2021 at 10:24 PM, abe said:

Tussey is pretty small.  Similar in layout to Sawmill.  Definitely a lot smaller operation than Shawnee.  Shawnee is decently large it's just that there are only like 3 trails that are  black steepness and they are short.   Otherwise similar vert to Camelback and Jack Frost, with q big lodge, powerful snowmaking, a lot of uphill capacity, and a detach.

Laurel Mountain is still owned by the state who could theoretically terminate the operating contract with Vail for someone else when it expires.  The state also owns currently inactive Denton Hill which is similar in size and steepness to Laurel but is even more in the middle or nowhere.

None or the areas close to the PA border in the surrounding states like Mountain Creek, Greek Peak, Wisp etc. are mega Corp owner yet

Also if someone with deep pockets really wanted in on the PA skiing game they could try to reopen Snow Peak https://www.dcski.com/lostareas/viewlostprofile.php?id=18

Snowpeak. That place would have been great. I wish someone with deep pockets would open one on tuscarora or wills mountain too. 1400-1700 vert. If i win it big, you guys have my word ill do that.

Edited by rgrwilco
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, rgrwilco said:

Snowpeak. That place would have been great. I wish someone with deep pockets would open one on tuscarora or wills mountain too. 1400-1700 vert. If i win it big, you guys have my word ill do that.

Yeah I can't believe all the huge mountains you drive through in that area of the state, and the biggest ski areas we get are... Tussey and Sawmill lol

• Love 1

5 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

abe are you from central PA?  There’s some proposed area in central PA that was going to be over 1500 vert

Lancaster so we say we are central PA but still are fairly far southeast.  I am about equidistant from Roundtop and Bear Creek, but if Snow Peak were still around it would be just as close.  1400' vert, northern aspect, wide ridge, and water available for snowmaking directly out of the Juniata river.

Blue Knob also has the potential to be much larger than it currently is.

Here is what I could find on the Tunkhannock 1500'+ vert proposed area: https://www.dcski.com/lostareas/viewlostprofile.php?id=62

Edited by abe
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, abe said:

Lancaster so we say we are central PA but still are fairly far southeast.  I am about equidistant from Roundtop and Bear Creek, but if Snow Peak were still around it would be just as close.  1400' vert, northern aspect, wide ridge, and water available for snowmaking directly out of the Juniata river.

Here is what I could find on the Tunkhannock 1500'+ vert proposed area: https://www.dcski.com/lostareas/viewlostprofile.php?id=62

Lancaster is definitely central PA. Honestly anything west of route 100 is the Midwest to me.  Thanks for the link!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

It's crazy, State College is the exact geographic center of the state but there is hardly anyone north or west of it save erie way up one corner and the wyoming valley in the other.  "Donut Hole" of the state

Center of population is actually pretty close to Harrisburg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, abe said:

I work in Lancaster and live on the berks/Lancaster county border so I'm probably not too far from you. 

If you haven't seen them, @EdBacon does a lost ski area series, one on snow peak below.   

Edited by PSUFly
  • Like 5