Snowboard to Ski: how to do it?

EdBacon

Hey all,

I think next year I'm gonna hop over to try skiing from snowboarding. I still want to snowboard but I'd like to be proficient at both and eventually transition to skiing most of the mountain outside of the terrain park. 

Have any PASRs done that transition before? What was it like? What are some good tips for starting out? 

Also, I'm looking at what a good pair of intro sticks would be. I'm like 6 foot, 150lbs. Size 11 shoe. I'd like something I could grow into skill-wise and keep for years. Like to be an all-mountain, all-condition kind of thing. I have a Lib-Tech Attack Banana snowboard that kind of fits that role: groomers, bumps, jumps, rough chop, trees. 

Any and all advice is appreciated. I already listen to Ween so I have that down. 

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, EdBacon said:

Hey all,

I think next year I'm gonna hop over to try skiing from snowboarding. I still want to snowboard but I'd like to be proficient at both and eventually transition to skiing most of the mountain outside of the terrain park. 

Have any PASRs done that transition before? What was it like? What are some good tips for starting out? 

Also, I'm looking at what a good pair of intro sticks would be. I'm like 6 foot, 150lbs. Size 11 shoe. I'd like something I could grow into skill-wise and keep for years. Like to be an all-mountain, all-condition kind of thing. I have a Lib-Tech Attack Banana snowboard that kind of fits that role: groomers, bumps, jumps, rough chop, trees. 

Any and all advice is appreciated. I already listen to Ween so I have that down. 

Thanks.

can you ice skate? Being able to ice skate will greatly reduce the frustration with learning skiing as you’ll be familiar with inside and outside edges and the general idea of using those edges to turn. I made the switch back to skiing in 2016 and picked it back up relatively quickly after being off skis for 15 years. Start small and work on technique and control. I did not do this and it showed for the first couple of months. 

can’t speak on the equipment side of things, I’m sure there’s others on here more well versed in that kind of stuff. My suggestion with that would be to go to a shop and basically “get fit” for the right setup. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kyle said:

can you ice skate? Being able to ice skate will greatly reduce the frustration with learning skiing as you’ll be familiar with inside and outside edges and the general idea of using those edges to turn. I made the switch back to skiing in 2016 and picked it back up relatively quickly after being off skis for 15 years. Start small and work on technique and control. I did not do this and it showed for the first couple of months. 

can’t speak on the equipment side of things, I’m sure there’s others on here more well versed in that kind of stuff. My suggestion with that would be to go to a shop and basically “get fit” for the right setup. 

I had a pair of rollerblades when I was 10.

I switched. At first it felt so weird to have my legs independent of each other instead of strapped into one board. I have taken a lot of ski clinics over the years and that helped. Getting out of the back seat took years. Funny Deb Armstrong is mentioned. I watch her videos and at my most recent clinic I was told I am bending my knees too much and not standing up straight. I admitted I watch her videos for pointers and she always has a deep knee bend or so it seems. My instructor pointed out she is a ski racer. But I still find her videos good. Good luck! 

• Like 2

I snowboarded for around  twenty five years before I skied...Been doing both for about ten years now...Didn't find it that difficult to make the switch...It's a lot of the same principles...The power of the hard boot and ski is pretty impressive after riding in soft boots on a board....but I would think an alpine snowboard has the same feel as hard boot/skis .....But I am far from a good skier...Skiing is super fun...but I still prefer to surf snow...

I started on Lib Tech Wreckcreate 179s  98 underfoot...

PX12 bindings

Full Tilt Booters...