2/17/24…a pretty nice Saturday.

3 minutes ago, billskis said:

I don't know the whole skibpatrol deal assume their volunteers.  Gig looks good aside from the certification/ rescue portion I wouldn't want to deal with.  Is there a shortage?  Maybe need to add a stipend.  I value people's time the get to ski free thing only goes so far.  Thank God for volunteer firefighters.

It’s like anything they always need to recruit new members every year like police, fire, teachers…my uncle was on ski patrol at Jack Frost and enjoyed it..I believe for the commaraderie. At Blue most patrollers are volunteer a few are professionals. At major resorts it’s a full time seasonal job, there are even ski patroller unions. I spent dozens of lift rides with concussion Ted from when he went from a civilian to a ski patroller and pros and cons are. 

Pros to being on ski patrol: Cut the liftlines, first tracks…free skiing and for family it’s either free or almost free.  Pro discounts on gear, camaraderie, thursday night parties..Jimmy told me ski patrol at Blue used to have end of season keggers next to lazy mile. Women like men in uniform. 

Cons: all the classes, training, drills, testing…long shifts in all weather, dealing with the public…

• Thanks 1

Awesome day. The kid loved the fresh snow and had a good time in winter adventure camp. I enjoyed how light the snow was compared to Tuesday. Wish that band would have came across a little more north

Thanks to Enjo for the delicious protein in the lot

Pic2- While picking up the kid we got a kick out of tubing only making it down ~60% of the hill. Looked like more walking than sliding

IMG_3932.jpeg

IMG_3938.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, momskeeztoo said:

I’m not surprised no one wants to do ski patrol anymore. Not sure the perks are that great anymore and you have to have training and recerts- probably out of your own pocket. That on top of no respect, and the amount of attitude and abuse they probably have to put up with. 
Not sure if anyone saw on IG, it was the head of Monmouth Mountain ski patrol basically just asking people please don’t duck ropes- they could be doing avalanche mitigation, or by going into the area, you could trigger an avalanche. The amount of nasty comments was pretty incredible. 

It’s the sense of entitlement everyone has now, “I paid x amount of dollars to be here so I should be able to do whatever I want”.  With no due regard to anyone around them or the safety implications of their actions. 

• Like 2